• 1 Post By nauli
  • 4 Post By Exfrogger
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By bowie

Thread: Sadly selling my Renault 16TS

Tadpole

Default Sadly selling my Renault 16TS

After 5 years or so of fun, including a run with the 750 club around here in Bathurst, I have had a bit of sad news and must sell 'Renae' the Red Rocket as I have just learned that the main bearing is about to let go and I simply do not have the knowledge, skills, equipment or time to rebuild the engine.
    renae.jpg
    Up until the other day she had been running really well. As you can see she is in great condition, having had a huge overhaul just before I bought her - engine, suspension, interior ( with the exception of the carpets), and a total strip back and respray in her original colour - $11K was spent on her. I have spent $2K on rust removal from the front chassis rails and a new sump guard. Some chrome work is good, but the bumpers have bit of surface rust. She has the original set of Dunlop three-stud mag wheels and I have two spares.
    If you would like a lovely and now very rare little car and have the experience to do the required work, please contact me through this post or on 02 63371203 or grales17-at-netwit-dot-net-au
    Thanks for reading this post, Graham.
    PS After checking the post I have found the image has not appeared

Advertisement
    Last edited by Graham17; 22nd January 2019 at 06:25 PM. Reason: no image
    driven likes this.

Potential customers and lurkers will see the image by clicking on "renae.jpg" above......................
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 22nd January 2019 at 09:49 PM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Woe. I hope you find a really good custodian for her.

I well remember her when we came to Bathurst. I'd post a picture but it has become all too difficult on Aussiefrogs for some reason.

Best wishes
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

COL

This is a shame you have come so far and spent so much.

Its not hard to work on the R16 motors, but would be expensive if you had to pay someone to do all the work.
    JohnW likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I'd post a picture but it has become all too difficult on Aussiefrogs for some reason.

Best wishes

Cheers
    Chris
    Dano likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Chris, how did you do that??? I've just about given up on photos.
    Sunroof likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Chris, how did you do that??? I've just about given up on photos.
    Me to!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham17 View Post
    After 5 years or so of fun, including a run with the 750 club around here in Bathurst, I have had a bit of sad news and must sell 'Renae' the Red Rocket as I have just learned that the main bearing is about to let go and I simply do not have the knowledge, skills, equipment or time to rebuild the engine.
    renae.jpg
    Up until the other day she had been running really well. As you can see she is in great condition, having had a huge overhaul just before I bought her - engine, suspension, interior ( with the exception of the carpets), and a total strip back and respray in her original colour - $11K was spent on her. I have spent $2K on rust removal from the front chassis rails and a new sump guard. Some chrome work is good, but the bumpers have bit of surface rust. She has the original set of Dunlop three-stud mag wheels and I have two spares.
    If you would like a lovely and now very rare little car and have the experience to do the required work, please contact me through this post or on 02 63371203 or grales17-at-netwit-dot-net-au
    Thanks for reading this post, Graham.
    PS After checking the post I have found the image has not appeared
    Graham, have you considered sourcing a decent second hand engine?
    COL likes this.
    1969 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

Wait, wait, wait!!!

Are you sure that the mains are "about to let go"? That isn't a common problem in these engines unless there's been an instance of, say, low oil.

Do you also have low oil pressure? At idle does the oil light flicker on and off? Does it come on immediately after you turn the motor off?

Who did the diagnosis? Do they know the engines?

Humour me here, put on your overalls and crawl under the car and check out the sump for any dents (you haven't been off-roading lately have you?) Leave the engine idling and feel the sump for any tapping from the other side.

If you enjoy the car it might be worth getting a second opinion.

All the best

Peter

PS: You haven't had cause to jack the car up recently, have you? DId you use a trolley jack?
    JoBo, JohnW, COL and 1 others like this.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Peter's right. I meant to suggest the same but the idea wandered out of my mind.... I'm no expert, but I've never heard of a 16 running main bearings. They DO destroy cam followers and camshafts sometimes and it is a noisy experience, but you get a light rattle high up not a deep thumping deep down.
    Dano likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

That is an option that I will examine as I eliminate other possibilities. . . getting my hands on one will probably be the issue.

Tadpole

Hello Peter - the precise symptoms were as follows:
    Having not driven the vehicle for about three weeks I started her up , first go as usual, and noticed that the oil light did not go out.
    Stopped the car immediately and checked the oil which was a millimetre below the top notch after letting it sit for a couple of minutes.
    Started her up again, oil light still on and set off into town ( about 10km)- ran as normal.
    After a couple of km oil light went out and I accelerated up past 2000rpm - loud deep rattle started about 2400, which stopped when I dropped back below 2200,
    Tried again , up to 2400, loud rattle, dropped back and it stopped - then up to 3000rpm where noise stopped but started as I dropped back through 2400-2600 again.
    Drove to my mechanic - who has been looking after the vehicle on and off for twenty years or so ( it is local car , sold and kept by local owners in the area around Bathurst and Lithgow for its whole life) who hopped in and started her up and revved it and said immediately that it was the big end about to fail . . suggested I drive it home very carefully, which I did.
    At no time did the oil light come on again.
    I have not been off road at all and did a little dirt road work a year or so ago but they were all graded and relatively smooth, and I do not believe that it has had a car jack under her as the mechanic uses full hoist.

Hope that clears things up but your ideas are worth looking into, which I will do in the morrow as we are having an enormous storm at the moment!!
    Cheers, Graham.

That is an option that I will examine as I eliminate other possibilities. . . getting my hands on one will probably be the issue.
    Try a PM to Sarosa….
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

How do you DO THIS ?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post

Cheers
    Chris

Let us all know ASAP

Yes please.... Seasink posted but I don't understand what he is saying.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Ouch, re your description of symptoms. I well remember your lovely car from the Bathurst trip.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

Hello Peter - the precise symptoms were as follows:
    Having not driven the vehicle for about three weeks I started her up , first go as usual, and noticed that the oil light did not go out.
    Stopped the car immediately and checked the oil which was a millimetre below the top notch after letting it sit for a couple of minutes.
    Started her up again, oil light still on and set off into town ( about 10km)- ran as normal.
    After a couple of km oil light went out and I accelerated up past 2000rpm - loud deep rattle started about 2400, which stopped when I dropped back below 2200,
    Tried again , up to 2400, loud rattle, dropped back and it stopped - then up to 3000rpm where noise stopped but started as I dropped back through 2400-2600 again.
    Drove to my mechanic - who has been looking after the vehicle on and off for twenty years or so ( it is local car , sold and kept by local owners in the area around Bathurst and Lithgow for its whole life) who hopped in and started her up and revved it and said immediately that it was the big end about to fail . . suggested I drive it home very carefully, which I did.
    At no time did the oil light come on again.
    I have not been off road at all and did a little dirt road work a year or so ago but they were all graded and relatively smooth, and I do not believe that it has had a car jack under her as the mechanic uses full hoist.

Hope that clears things up but your ideas are worth looking into, which I will do in the morrow as we are having an enormous storm at the moment!!
    Cheers, Graham.

Ok, well that ain’t good.

Next question, the cost rebuilding the motor aside. How much do you want to keep the car? A lot, or are you a bit over it?
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Perhaps the splined oil pump drive has failed? It is a rare issue, but also not unknown. Also the oil pump on a 16 needs to be primed when the motor is rebuilt. I'm just wondering if given time, wear, moon phase, etc, if the oil pump failed to pick up after being left for for that period - this would be quite unusual though. I'm thinking more the stripped spline as the cause.

Either way, it will likely be engine out (even if picked up before the death rattle), as the pump won't drop out from below, and the head needs to come off to replace the drive. However, the mechanicals are so much easier to fix than a rusty body so whoever buys it looks like they will get a ripper car.
    JohnW likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

[THREAD HIJACK]

for those wondeirng about images... let me introduce you to a service called imgur..

BEHOLD!!

https://imgur.com/

This is a file repository, designed for sharing sh1t pictures in forums, on the internet.

It's great.

Top left hand corner, find the "New Post" button. It should be green, hit it.
    From there, you can browse or just drag and drop the file straight into the browser! like magic!
    Now! once your picture is uploaded, use your mouse and hover over the image. The top right hand corner will show the img url. copy it!

Then, paste it all over the internet

These links stay forever.

Magic...

[/THREAD HIJACK]
    J-man likes this.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    [THREAD HIJACK]

for those wondeirng about images... let me introduce you to a service called imgur..

BEHOLD!!

https://imgur.com/

This is a file repository, designed for sharing sh1t pictures in forums, on the internet.

It's great.

Top left hand corner, find the "New Post" button. It should be green, hit it.
    From there, you can browse or just drag and drop the file straight into the browser! like magic!
    Now! once your picture is uploaded, use your mouse and hover over the image. The top right hand corner will show the img url. copy it!

Then, paste it all over the internet

These links stay forever.

Magic...

[/THREAD HIJACK]
    [reply to /hijacking]...but the real question is what has changed on this site?...up to a few weeks ago it was simple to post actual pictures rather than just having the jpg link or similar come up.
    1969 Alpine A110

I have sent you an email Graham

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Go Hard or go home. Pug Power

Thread Information