• 9 Post By Frans
  • 5 Post By R8philSA
  • 3 Post By Frans
  • 3 Post By Frans
  • 3 Post By Frans
  • 4 Post By Frans

Thread: A sad day.

Default A sad day.

Today was a sad day in my life. This thread is not about Renaults but about cars in general.
    I went to the celebration of a friend that Iíve only known for about 13 years. In March last year we were together on the NZ South Island Alpine Tour and enjoyed the week together travelling 3500km. Me and Ross in the R8 and Gavin and Miles, father and son, in the Lambo Countach. It was a week of fun and cars and jokes and laughs and today was his farewell.
    Gavin was a master in the restoration of motorcars. When someone bought a $1,000,000 Ferrari or any exotic car somewhere in the world, the car would go straight to them to be tidied up because nobody could do it like they did. Gavin was a cabinet maker by trade but that was only a drop in the bucket of what he could do. He would go and select leather and come back home, sit behind the sewing machine and make the most beautiful upholstery for some exotic Lambo, Ferrari or what ever.
    We were asked to attend with our classic cars if we had one and following are a few photos of those who did bring their cars along.

Advertisement

This is just to show a few of the guys present. I would like to show a few photos of their private collection as well but I might do that as an add-on to this thread as time allows.

Regards, Frans.
    R8 Dream, J-man, potentz and 6 others like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

I only met Gavin the one time you all stayed over at my place on your Alpine Tour, but he was definitely a thorough gentleman. I hope Miles will carry on the family tradition.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Frans. What a privilege to be amongst such a delightful collection of beautiful classics. You're a very luck man. My poor old BARNIE is on hold while I'm going through medical restoration but I'm fighting the health war hoping to get back to him again soon. Just can't see a R8 die and go to scrap!
    Thanks for the lovely pics. Keep on your journey of fun and racing.
    Cheers Phil
    J-man, potentz, JohnW and 2 others like this.

Thanks for sharing that story Frans. Sad news indeed.

What on earth is the black open sports car with the four branch exhaust coming out of the top of the bonnet?

Regards
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

John.

That is another master piece pulled out from nothing in a shed by a smart Kiwi. He restored an old Tiger Moth and then after that restoration had a lot of Tiger spares left. He decided to build a Riley look alike with the other Tiger Moth engine. So that is a complete hand and shed built car. Best is to take a few minutes and check his story in the following link I found (there might be other) and then you can enjoy our annual Roycroft Series racing as well on the second link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwUKA2xYuYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U9vGmRPP0s

Regards, Frans.
    driven, JohnW and jaahn like this.

Wow. That is very NZ....

It looked a bit "Riley" to me but I was beaten otherwise.

There's a "Napier Bentley" in England, with a Napier Lion W12 engine in an 8-litre Bentley chassis - same sort of thing and done well too. All torque from about 500 rpm no doubt!

Thanks and regards
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

From their collection includes but isn't all the following cars. Almost all these cars were close to scrap or scrapped and then bought and restored.

This TVR was accident damaged complete with bent chassis. All straightened and painted on their premises by Gavin.

A beautiful restored RX7 from the USA.

This Ford Laser is a very wellknown and well raced car with plenty of history. As we all know, the knocks and hits that cars receives on the track is avoidable but this one is back to concourse condition.

I'm not sure if any of the names ring a bell?

Just a Hotrod they built with Toyota V8.

As you can see that there isn't really a car that is a favourite, all cars are favourites.

To be continued............

Frans.
    JohnW, bowie and jaahn like this.

The Roycroft video is wonderful. Thanks. How lucky to have an Alfa 8C to watch and hear.... My favourite inlet manifold of all time too.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

They also acquired a Metro Group B Rally car. That was stripped bare and restored to original. It was loaded into a container and taken somewhere in Europe I think where they participated in a few classic rallies. I saw a sticker of the one and it is called "Slowly Sideways".

Frans.
    jaahn, JohnW and bowie like this.

The Laguna, driven by Alain Menu that took the BTCC resides here as well. This is an awesome piece of machinery. With technology in those days and the Hp produced is an excellent figure.

Of interest is how far down the engine is mounted to reduce the C of G. The special gearbox shows that the driveshaft runs just below the intake manifold. The The aerofoil in front is so low that you bump your toe against it. It is hinged upwards for when they went over the curbs. The front fenders rest on the tyres and if you turn the steering wheel the tyres lift the fender up. There are zero clearance for aerodynamic purposes. The front calipers are 6 pot water cooled with its own circuit and radiator. The rules those days forced them to use the original bonnet and body panels. They are not fiber glass. The driver position is over to the center and further back. Read the detail and results for yourself.

Regards, Frans.
    COL, Sunroof, FIVEDOOR and 1 others like this.

That is one serious track car. The BTCC racing was pretty competitive.... And it is in NZ. Good grief!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

My wife (not a car enthusiast ) and I, watched the 1997 series on TV and both enjoyed it immensely. Not sure what channel perhaps SBS. The racing was great and you could tell the different brands of cars because they were all clearly labelled on the side. It was a great series specially as Renault was winning. There was a fair bit of biff and shove in the UK races. Not long after that Menu/Plato ran a Laguna at Bathurst and it was out front for much of the race until it blew something.

Fair chance that could be the Bathurst car perhaps? but I recall the yellow portion being a brighter shade.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Fair chance that could be the Bathurst car perhaps? but I recall the yellow portion being a brighter shade.
    Could be the yellow is a wee bit over-exposed. Nice car!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information