Megane service
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Megane service

1000+ Posts

Default Megane service

Just back from 48 Months/60,00km service. Only 29,200km so far.
    Cost $780.- minus discount:$708.70 - Waverly Renault.
    Labour: $414.04
    All standard charges is suspect and the price for maintaining warranty. All good.
    Surprised they replaced spark plugs. Will have to check that if i can be bothered.

Easy to see why it is worthwhile for a DIY (after warranty period) to spend a few $$ on a diagnostic tool.

Advertisement
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Remember the bit about why you can't afford a Rolls Royce?
    JoBo likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Even if i could - nothing to like about them
    Kim Luck likes this.
    Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Even if i could - nothing to like about them
    I very nearly liked this one.....even you could?
    Wraith Bleurion | -= M A N S O R Y =- COM
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Just back from 48 Months/60,00km service. Only 29,200km so far.

Surprised they replaced spark plugs. Will have to check that if i can be bothered.
    It's very easy to get ripped off with a very low km/year car.

At the same time, I consider my 2003/2004 Megane Scenic has the most sensible maintenance program I have seen for a car, heading towards an aircraft program (with which I am very familiar) where all tasks are individually listed and fall due when they are actually due, not just grouped together with everything else. Of course, it is not entirely practical for a car to have a small task carried out every 2 weeks, instead of it all being done every 6 to 12 months.

Our Scenic calls for a basic service (oil & filter, check brakes) every 10k/12months. Other items, eg sparkplugs, timing belt, etc, are given their own schedule to be done when due. Probably same as most of the Renault fleet? So unless your schedule calls for a 4 year time on sparkplugs, then I would agree it was an unnecessary replacement at 30k.

It seems the current "normal" service cost is $500-800, which is a lot of money for what is covered, unfortunately the labour cost makes it inevitable. Yet I believe dealer mechanics are only paid $25-30 per hour, of the $120 or so total cost, which surprises me considering the technical nature of the modern car.

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

I've never had the 'privilege' of setting up and maintaining an ongoing car retail and repair centre, but I do think that it might cost a bit more than the average household budget could provide and if, as I suspect, cars are simply white goods on wheels, I'm pretty sure that margins are pretty tiny all round.

1000+ Posts

It seems the current "normal" service cost is $500-800, which is a lot of money for what is covered, unfortunately the labour cost makes it inevitable. Yet I believe dealer mechanics are only paid $25-30 per hour, of the $120 or so total cost, which surprises me considering the technical nature of the modern car.

$120 per hour.....geez thats cheap for a Ren dealer...... mine is $165 per hour !!!
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. Opel OPC

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

WOW
    Quote Originally Posted by jr20516v View Post

$120 per hour.....geez thats cheap for a Ren dealer...... mine is $165 per hour !!!
    Wow.
    I thought the diesel koleos was expensive to get serviced,(diesel....lots and lots of expensive oil) but if you guys reckon $500 to 800 is average, I'm doing pretty good.

I only pay those prices when something like brake rotors need replacing extra to normal service items.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Ironically my Lotus is around $300 a year to service....go figure !!
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. Opel OPC

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

It now has a different brand of engine instead of one out of an Renault 16TS, no wonder it's cheap.....

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    WOW

Wow.
    I thought the diesel koleos was expensive to get serviced,(diesel....lots and lots of expensive oil) but if you guys reckon $500 to 800 is average, I'm doing pretty good.

I only pay those prices when something like brake rotors need replacing extra to normal service items.

Jo
    Depends what service, the first three were $299.- each - expensive oil changes with inspection. However, they did fix an oil weep around the timing cover under warranty.
    The 4th included a change of all fluids (not sure about the transmission, don't think they changed the oil in it) and filters.
    Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

What type of Lotus? If it's one with the Toyota 1ZZ or 2ZZ engine then there is not a lot to service. It's got a timing chain.
    Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Service agents do need to inspire confidence for customers.

Jobo

With your practical ability to acquire new skills and tackle things, I think there is incentive (excuse ?) for the purchase of a reader on this years "gift or just needed list" and good things will follow. Look forward to seeing some follow-up DIY threads.

The other thing of course is always a fine balance between on one hand paying the piper with hard earned cash so someone else gets their hands dirty , or putting in the time and sometimes considerable effort in DIY.

We all reach that point at some time in our lives where it is easier to relax, as long as they do a good job of course. Part of that is the importance of satisfying their customers

Ken
    JoBo likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    It's very easy to get ripped off with a very low km/year car.

At the same time, I consider my 2003/2004 Megane Scenic has the most sensible maintenance program I have seen for a car, heading towards an aircraft program (with which I am very familiar) where all tasks are individually listed and fall due when they are actually due, not just grouped together with everything else. Of course, it is not entirely practical for a car to have a small task carried out every 2 weeks, instead of it all being done every 6 to 12 months.

Our Scenic calls for a basic service (oil & filter, check brakes) every 10k/12months. Other items, eg sparkplugs, timing belt, etc, are given their own schedule to be done when due. Probably same as most of the Renault fleet? So unless your schedule calls for a 4 year time on sparkplugs, then I would agree it was an unnecessary replacement at 30k.

Cheers.
    Curiosity got the better of me and attempted to remove one spark plug (why would you change it @ 30,000km when it's scheduled @60,000?)
    My Sidchrome long 14mm socket has a body diameter of 21.2mm. It just fits in but don't ever try to use it, it's a bugger to get out again without ever getting to the plug
    Wonder if anybody knows if this socket fits:https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Bike-Ac...caAhnXEALw_wcB

or this one is the go: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spark-Plu...-/250820916048

I asked @ supercrap and they don't have a suitable one. Also assuming that it is a 14mm. The NGK replacments are 14mm.

If nobody knows i'll have to do some leg work

Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

Always ask for used parts to be returned when paying someone else to work on your car.

Of course plugs from another car could be substituted (am I being cynical?), but if yours are an unusual plug, the workshop is unlikely to have them lying around.

If the originals were platinum or iridium, they should last 100,000km.

Cheers

Alec

Curiosity got the better of me and attempted to remove one spark plug (why would you change it @ 30,000km when it's scheduled @60,000?)
    My Sidchrome long 14mm socket has a body diameter of 21.2mm. It just fits in but don't ever try to use it, it's a bugger to get out again without ever getting to the plug
    Wonder if anybody knows if this socket fits:https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Bike-Ac...caAhnXEALw_wcB

or this one is the go: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spark-Plu...-/250820916048

I asked @ supercrap and they don't have a suitable one. Also assuming that it is a 14mm. The NGK replacments are 14mm.

If nobody knows i'll have to do some leg work

Just asking JoBo, but why did you not ask the service department why they apparently changed the spark plug (or plugs?) at half life when you picked up your vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    Always ask for used parts to be returned when paying someone else to work on your car.

Of course plugs from another car could be substituted (am I being cynical?), but if yours are an unusual plug, the workshop is unlikely to have them lying around.

If the originals were platinum or iridium, they should last 100,000km.

Cheers

Alec
    I do know people who have gone to the trouble of stamping secret marks on parts like rotors..........

1000+ Posts

Whatever - with the plugs - good idea to have the plugs out to check what type IS fitted, and keep a record, though I would have thought you would have been given an itemized list with part numbers. I seem to remember getting lists with part numbers and unit pricing and usually with items replaced out of phase with the service book, that did happen sometimes due to a Renault warranty or service advisory notice and when that happened there was an explanatory note to that effect and no cost applied to the item on the invoice.

I wonder if things have changed, I know on the Laguna V6 the front ball joints were replaced early with no charge at Kirwans when they were Renault dealers as the edges of the tyres were rounding slightly, must have been a more durable set fitted at that time, as it has done a considerable # kilometres since with no visible problem showing when I check the front tyres.

The itemized list is a handy check, one dealer claimed they had replaced two key batteries in the service but there was only one key in their possession? so that over charge cost them in that I never got my car serviced with them and that was a few years back.

I mostly ask for the removed parts just for my own education and noting wear etc.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Whatever - with the plugs - good idea to have the plugs out to check what type IS fitted, and keep a record, though I would have thought you would have been given an itemized list with part numbers. I seem to remember getting lists with part numbers and unit pricing and usually with items replaced out of phase with the service book, that did happen sometimes due to a Renault warranty or service advisory notice and when that happened there was an explanatory note to that effect and no cost applied to the item on the invoice.

I wonder if things have changed, I know on the Laguna V6 the front ball joints were replaced early with no charge at Kirwans when they were Renault dealers as the edges of the tyres were rounding slightly, must have been a more durable set fitted at that time, as it has done a considerable # kilometres since with no visible problem showing when I check the front tyres.

The itemized list is a handy check, one dealer claimed they had replaced two key batteries in the service but there was only one key in their possession? so that over charge cost them in that I never got my car serviced with them and that was a few years back.

I mostly ask for the removed parts just for my own education and noting wear etc.

Ken
    Not much use knowing the part number if you can't change them yourself!

Tadpole

My Lotus Elise Sport 220 (2ZR Toyo engine) is also a lot cheaper to service than my Megane diesel.

What sort of Megane? The F series non turbos want spark plugs at 60K kms.

The Alfa Giulietta wants Iridium plugs every 35K kms!!!! Heavily turbocharged hot running critter. I doubt any Megane is that bad.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
    My Lotus Elise Sport 220 (2ZR Toyo engine) is also a lot cheaper to service than my Megane diesel.
    Fair enough too! I'm sure you will have paid a lot more for your Lotus than you did for your Megane diesel which extra amount would possibly fund a lifetime or two of Megane diesel services!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Just asking JoBo, but why did you not ask the service department why they apparently changed the spark plug (or plugs?) at half life when you picked up your vehicle?
    Wife picked it up
    Stephen Hawking

Wife picked it up
    Oh Dear!

1000+ Posts

Did find a proper Kincrome 14mm spark plug socked at Bursons @ $28. Non of the others (Repco W'horse Rd., Autobarn, Total Tools ) had any.
    Looks like they did change the spark plugs (Iridium NGK). All part numbers are listed on the invoice. 4 plugs RE224019133 @ $67.12 in case someone whats to get them from a dealer. Engine oil $ 60.68. All reasonable prices i think.
    Should i not feel like doing the out of warranty services we will go back to Waverly Renault.
    Kim Luck likes this.
    Stephen Hawking

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information