• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By R8RX
  • 2 Post By 4cvg
  • 1 Post By alpinesau

Thread: R8G front spring insulator/spring rubber/spring top

Default R8G front spring insulator/spring rubber/spring top

I've tried searching the forum for this, but didn't find anything. I am looking for spring insulators/spring rubber that sits on top of each front spring on a R8 Gordini. Mine are completely broken. I don't want to drive without something between the spring and body. Do anyone have a tip on where I get these or an alternative solution? I've bought two polyurethane spring insulators, but these require a flat top on the spring.

I haven't manage to find someone who are selling these, only GBS Alpine had some in aluminium, but these where not longer available.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

The rear spring has rubber spacers at the top jambed into the crossmember tower. Might they do the job?

Are you sure?

Both my R8 and R10 factory parts books show a broad rubber washer under the front spring (in the wishbone, that is)and nothing on top of the spring. The rears have a steel annular cup with a shaped rubber pad, also annular, inside it, and these are available I think.

It'll be hard to find if they never existed, that is for sure.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    The rear spring has rubber spacers at the top jambed into the crossmember tower. Might they do the job?
    The rear ones are too small in diameter to fit on the front spring. I have a set of new rubbers for the rear springs.
    Sunroof likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Are you sure?

Both my R8 and R10 factory parts books show a broad rubber washer under the front spring (in the wishbone, that is)and nothing on top of the spring. The rears have a steel annular cup with a shaped rubber pad, also annular, inside it, and these are available I think.

It'll be hard to find if they never existed, that is for sure.

Cheers
    I know, my book also shows nothing on top of the spring and a rubber washer at the bottom. But there were some rubber on top of my springs.
    But will the spring sit properly at the top regarding the top of spring is not flat? I don't know if I have original springs either, the rear ones are modified.

I can fit the polyurethane insulators I bought and see how they fit.

See whether someone here has a pair of springs to photograph..... Mine are in the car but others here have more bits and pieces I expect. I'm thinking the previous owner fitted something on top of the springs for some reason but we do not know what it was!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

See whether someone here has a pair of springs to photograph..... Mine are in the car but others here have more bits and pieces I expect. I'm thinking the previous owner fitted something on top of the springs for some reason but we do not know what it was!
    Yes, I see Mecaparts have pictures of their front springs and mine look fairly similar.

So I think you have the answer regarding the previous owner

There is nothing on top of the front springs.
    www.r8gordiniregister.com
    1971 Alpine A110 1600S
    1970 R8 Gordini R1135
    2005 Megane 225 Cup
    2014 Megane RS275 Trophy R
    2015 Koleos Expression

Ok, thank you very much But it is correct that the top of the front springs are not "flat"? Anyone have a picture of the top on a front spring?

This is from mecaparts

IMG_1547943543.962960.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Do I note a light taper toward the top? Or is this just an optical illusion?

Thanks, I have tried to study that picture before and I have noticed the same as you.

Fellow Frogger!

I know it is not the correct solution, but here is an alternative to isolate the top
    of the spring from the crossmember.
    This technique was used on R12's
    Clear plastic tubing of the right internal diameter threaded over the first coil
    or two of the spring. make sure the spring is rust free and painted, maybe a little grease
    to help it feed on.
    There will be a minimal increase in the overall spring diameter, but with time it will
    settle in.

Thatís brilliant Steve! I might also give that a go, as I am about to take the front springs out also and have them reset 25mm higher.)
    Do you think the springs are tapered?

1000+ Posts

A mild diversion.

The alumninium ones ones are not to insulate spring from housing but to increase travel height. (I have used a pair of the thinnest, 13 mm, ones in the 4CVG which was otherwise tending to hit its bump stops on one challengingly bumpy tight corner - lots of weight moved to the front.) They were designed for rally R8G & A110 use.

As noted, I took the front top to be metal to metal & if a rubber insert was present it might have been an attempt at the same height-lifting task. I would simply remove it.

cheers! Peter
    Sunroof and JohnW like this.

Regarding the rubber I mentioned was on my car, I believe this was used on the side of the spring that did not touch the housing since the top coil of my springs are not "flat". When I took the rubber out I believed it was broken since it only was a "half circle".

My dad found a set of springs in his garage that he believed was front springs from a R8 and the top coil on these were tapered (if I understand that term correctly, the top coil of the spring were "flat").

Can someone please confirm the correct shape of the spring. I am going to order new ones if the springs i have is wrong.

After studying the springs my father had I have come to the conclusion that the springs I have can't be original ones. So I am going to replace them.

Do anyone know if the springs Mecaparts are selling is stiffer than original ones?

You know, all I can remember is that on the rare occasions I have had the front springs out (once or twice in 40 years is all that has been needed) they fitted neatly against the cross member, so I guess they are set up more or less flat across the top.

Mecaparts seem focussed on competition parts, so perhaps you'd expect stiffer springs. They do respond to English language questions, so I'd ask them by email.

Good luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

John W is correct. The R8 front springs are flat on top. They are located rotationally by the bottom wishbone shape. There is a thin (~1.5mm rubber) insulator under the front spring. They are typically torn though.
    See these photos of a couple of my spare front springs.
    spring3.jpgspring4.jpg
    JohnW likes this.
    www.r8gordiniregister.com
    1971 Alpine A110 1600S
    1970 R8 Gordini R1135
    2005 Megane 225 Cup
    2014 Megane RS275 Trophy R
    2015 Koleos Expression

You know, all I can remember is that on the rare occasions I have had the front springs out (once or twice in 40 years is all that has been needed) they fitted neatly against the cross member, so I guess they are set up more or less flat across the top.

Mecaparts seem focussed on competition parts, so perhaps you'd expect stiffer springs. They do respond to English language questions, so I'd ask them by email.

Good luck.
    Thank you, yes, that is what I figured out too.

Got an e-mail from Mecaparts today. Stiffer ++ was the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinesau View Post
    John W is correct. The R8 front springs are flat on top. They are located rotationally by the bottom wishbone shape. There is a thin (~1.5mm rubber) insulator under the front spring. They are typically torn though.
    See these photos of a couple of my spare front springs.
    spring3.jpgspring4.jpg
    Thank you for your pictures. Looks just like my father's springs. Is the bottom of your springs also flat/nearly flat? Yes, haven't seen the insulator on any of my bottom wishbones.

The bottoms are not quite flat and are located rotationally by the shape of the cup in the wishbones, maybe with a rubber disc a few mm thick if I remember correctly.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

The bottoms are not quite flat and are located rotationally by the shape of the cup in the wishbones, maybe with a rubber disc a few mm thick if I remember correctly.
    Thank you!

Ok, I guess is it hard to see exactly how the top and the bottom is on the pictures on the Mecaparts website. And as you say, the bottom does not look entirely flat. I have ordered a set of the longest springs, so just have to wait and see how they are.

We will be interested to hear the news when you get the new, long springs. Good luck and best wishes.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information