• 1 Post By Ceenine
  • 2 Post By 27of85
  • 3 Post By 59 Floride
  • 3 Post By alan moore
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 2 Post By alan moore

Thread: Renault prices skyrocketing

Default Renault prices skyrocketing

Well we've all been complaining about our old Renault's not appreciating in value enough. Well fear not, they have apparently multiplied in value, erm... a lot 😲

Please view this ad:

Renault Virage R12,
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/oakle...nt=app_android

Price: $19,800

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
    http://goo.gl/7NzhP

Advertisement
    JohnW likes this.
    cheers,

John

That is a really nice car. If it was a wagon and I had the money sloshing around, I would take a closer look.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Is it worth $19,000?
    If some punter pays the money then yes.
    Nice as it is, I think it would need a few substantial gold bars in the boot to be worth $19K.

Cheers
    RTT
    Last edited by REN TIN TIN; 18th December 2018 at 07:07 AM.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Well the R12 wasn't one of Renault's finest design exercises ( to my eye anyway)....I never really liked the look of them when they first came out and my opinion hasn't changed....but lots of folk like them though...good luck to him with the sale.
    1969 Alpine A110

Where is the tinwork on the rear and sides? Thats the stuff that is serious unobtainium, and cannot be restored, that may make a car like this worth the asking price. Floride 59 is going to want to see the overspray on the shocks at least
    4's 16's and Caravelle

1000+ Posts

Rupiah?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I suppose the rear tail lights seem in tact, a shame, if it had the wing maybe

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

If you don't ask you don't get.
    You can always come down but you can't go up.

I would love to see them equal VW prices, there a much better car.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts

Yeah, but at that price he won't get one sniff. IMO most people would think he's a nutcase and not even view the car. And I love the R12 so am speaking from that position. You wouldn't expect to knock a price down say 50% to 75% of the asking...so why would one even enquire?

It's not really that well done either, again IMO. A good resto doesn't look so obviously restored.

As an aside, I reckon the highest prices will ultimately apply to the older type 12's just for the more classic style, both inside and out.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I bought a car like that at less than half the asking price. I only went to have a look but the owner pushed me to give him something so I gave him what I thought he wouldn't accept and he accepted it.

Mind you, for a 12 this would still be expensive at half the price. But like I said, if I were closer and that was a wagon, I would go have a look.

The Australian market is quite poor and with some cars you just have to get what you can (try to find an unmolested AE86 for example). If you find a straight body, no rust, everything present and in good shape (no broken dash, knobs, etc), and no stupid holes in the parcel shelf for crappy speakers or some idiotic wings or body kit you have to ask yourself if you get that or wait indefinitely for a unicorn to pop up. I buy cars to drive them and that is not an option I will have forever. If I bought to invest or collect, different story.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    If you don't ask you don't get.
    You can always come down but you can't go up.
    Oddly enough, recently I was looking for a car on Gumtree and the seller did just that, i.e. Increased the price after it was listed.
    I was looking at a car on the Gold Coast, about 80km from me and was making arrangements with the seller (a car yard) to come an have a look at the car. It had been on Gumtree for about a week at this yard (was advertised at a couple of other yards previously so had done the rounds for a few months) and between the time I first saw this latest listing and when I was making the arrangements, they relisted it $2000 higher than the original listing. I did query the seller on how they could up the price but the best he could say was that if I came and bought it that day they would honour the original price. Needless to say I soon lost interest in that example.

I've seen cars sold at one price and then relisted a few months later at a higher price but this is the only time I've ever seen a seller increase the price on the same listing.

Cheers
    RTT

PS. the car is still up for sale on Gumtree and they have dropped the price to the first lower price.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by nauli View Post
    Well the R12 wasn't one of Renault's finest design exercises ( to my eye anyway)....I never really liked the look of them when they first came out and my opinion hasn't changed....but lots of folk like them though...good luck to him with the sale.
    Ordinary perhaps, but bullet proof and super reliable. Sort of Renault Corollas......
    Kim Luck, J-man and COL like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I think if you take a look back at the offerings of the day, the 12 and the 504 look a bit similar with sloped bonnets and tails and both stand out from the square boxes of the (early) sixties and still present in the designs of companies with less imagination in the seventies.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 20th December 2018 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I think if you take a look back at the offerings of the day, the 12 and the 504 look a bit similar with sloped bonnets and tails and both stand out from the square boxes of the (early) sixties and still present in the designs of companies with less imagination in the seventies.

Ah, the good ol' days of the 70's wedge design.
    Whatever happened to the wedge?
    Everything now is a rounded blob.
    There's not a straight line anywhere apart from the occasional swage line.

Rounded blobs are fine, but bulbous warts all over the car makes everything look like a nasty toad.

What's wrong with toads?

With a bit more rain, we might have a good cane toad season this year.

I sold an immaculate (original) Virage wagon 15 years ago for $2,500 and that was a good price for me.

Guess its nice to dream
    JohnW likes this.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Fellow Frogger!

Love these little Renaults. They were old and rare when I was in school. Iím sure the price is what was spent on it plus a margin. Everything is worth only as much as someone will pay for it though (yes this includes cheaply constructed new luxury apartments... chortle). Iíd consider it in blue. Quirky little car to be known for getting around in these days, although a Mini is a surer profitable restoration.
    Currently:
    Mazda MX-5 (my third and the third generation NC).
    Lazily looking for a 205 daily driver.
    Previously:
    Peugeot 206, Peugeot 205, Honda CR-Z, BMW 3-Series (2), Audi A4 (2), BMW Z3, Mazda MX-5 (2), Saab 900, Morris Mini, Mazda 121, Nissan Pulsar and Holden Gemini.

Quote Originally Posted by dj4llen View Post
    Love these little Renaults. They were old and rare when I was in school. I’m sure the price is what was spent on it plus a margin. Everything is worth only as much as someone will pay for it though (yes this includes cheaply constructed new luxury apartments... chortle). I’d consider it in blue. Quirky little car to be known for getting around in these days, although a Mini is a surer profitable restoration.
    Looking at your car list, I can only comment that you've had a deprived life. There's usually a rear engined Renault for sale somewhere and they are quite charming - this might help to overcome your deprivation. Or rather

Personally, I reckon restoring, or even maintaining and improving an old car is a labour of love. Some may wish to do it with financial return in mind, but why restore anything unless you will use it and love it?

Prices are rising a bit I reckon, but real expense comes when something becomes collectible for some odd combination of circumstances. Take old split screen VW Kombis for example. They now seem to go for huge money. Why? Well, they're OK and interesting of course but they've somehow acquired amazing status.

Ah well....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

I don't think that the prices are going up, i have just bought a 1995 series 1 Laguna 2 litre 5 speed manual for the princely sum of $125 Dollars. It even came with a complete spare car. Unfortunately the spare car is an Auto.
    J-man and Sunroof like this.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Looking at your car list, I can only comment that you've had a deprived life. There's usually a rear engined Renault for sale somewhere and they are quite charming - this might help to overcome your deprivation. Or rather

Personally, I reckon restoring, or even maintaining and improving an old car is a labour of love. Some may wish to do it with financial return in mind, but why restore anything unless you will use it and love it?

Prices are rising a bit I reckon, but real expense comes when something becomes collectible for some odd combination of circumstances. Take old split screen VW Kombis for example. They now seem to go for huge money. Why? Well, they're OK and interesting of course but they've somehow acquired amazing status.

Ah well....
    ...and I'm aiming to really clean up when Fregate prices go through the roof.

12 Years ago I was in the UK buying my GTA Turbo. A base model A110 was offered to me at the equivalent of $20K AUD, which I rejected as it was quite rough. If it were an R10 it would have been $200. I thought too much for a rough toy. I expect if I had just stored it and done no work to it, it would be $45K now, whereas my GTA may be worth a little more than it owes.

It is hard to fathom why some more common machines increase in value massively, and rarer "interesting " cars, are maybe lucky to be worth the restoration cost. 4CVs are still inexpensive in my view.
    JohnW, J-man and Sunroof like this.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

It's an interesting conflict! If RERs become valuable, we current owners might benefit if we sold. Hold on, "sold"? No, don't understand that..... If they don't become valuable, more people can afford to buy and cherish them.

There was a big gathering of Aston Martins in Perth recently, I believe the largest group ever together in Oz. Interesting group of cars, which appeared en masse at a Classic Cars and Coffee gathering near Christmas. There were a couple of pre-war Lagondas to round off the group. One of those Lagondas was clearly used and loved and NOT concord and I thought it just beautiful. I chatted to a lovely lady in a truly superb red car (the colour was superb, a Rutherglen red being the basis for its development, but the Aston yet another DB5 or thereabouts). It was fascinating to look at the owners, a heady mix of old money, in their 60s-80s and some owned by very new money indeed. It's a different world from our 4CV and RER group! I'm not saying they weren't nice people by the way.

Just very interesting.

Alan, you need a ride or a drive in a Matra Jet too...
    J-man likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Yes, I think a Djet or Jet would be great, with better dynamics than an A110, and a price closer to my budget. I did go close to buying one from the US some years ago, and will continue to lament not having the intestinal fortitude to lay my money down at the time.
    jaahn and JohnW like this.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Thread Information