Renault Clip and Windows 10 compatabiity ? Anyone done this and lived ?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By renault8&10
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne

Thread: Renault Clip and Windows 10 compatabiity ? Anyone done this and lived ?

1000+ Posts

Default Renault Clip and Windows 10 compatabiity ? Anyone done this and lived ?

Hi
    I have previously asked this on another thread, but decided to start another thread to get straight answers and not hijack another any more

As stated above I am interested in buying a Clip, but am wary of the pitfalls. I am still not certain if the latest versions, eg V178 will work on Windows 10. They still seem to imply that a 32bit system is 'more better"? whatever that means. I quote from one ebay site "V174 Support these OS :XP Pro SP3 32 bit/Win 7 32 bit Pro/Win 10 (But Win XP and Win7 32bit more better)" There seems to be various Versions mentioned in the same add. V178, V174 V 151 ???? who knows what you actually get on the disc.

If you do have a clip is it running on a modern laptop and windows 10 ? Also most sites sell an earlier version and then update it via a download from somewhere !!
    There seems to be some traps for a person like me who just wants the bl**dy thing to work and not become a computer exercise or am I expecting too much.

Advertisement

What I want currently is to turn off my tire pressure sensors if possible. Or if not then get it to recognise another set of new non genuine sensors. Any one know if either of these can be done with a clone Clip or will it be another non starter that you cannot find on there ?? Any other comments on this that might be useful.

Jaahn
    This is the one above;
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Can-Clip-V178-Full-Chip-AN2131Q-Reprog-V151-OBD2-Diagnostic-Interface-CAN-Chip/254002723410?hash=item3b23bdfa52:g:bxwAAOSwJ7Rb~p6 2:rk:8:pf:0
    JohnW likes this.

I think my Delphi ds will do that your welcome to check before you buy one they donít really need the pc balanced on a pin to work

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    I think my Delphi ds will do that your welcome to check before you buy one they donít really need the pc balanced on a pin to work
    Hi ,
    Thanks for that great offer. I have sent a PM.
    Is there no one else with an input. ????? New Renaults are so good you never need to look into the entrails> Or the dealers are extraordinary and provide such a good service ? Or we are all getting old and cannot be bothered now ?
    Jaahn

I installed a virtual machine on my apple desktop to run a software for Accuspark Stealth Blackbox in similar circumstances. I needed an update installed for USB Support but basically got it up and running with the help of a member here; and a friend who was a computer guy.

I wonder if something similar may work for you here if you cannot get it to run properly in the WIN 10 environment without the VM ie run XP (or whatever) in a VM shell within WIN 10 just for using the clip?
    KB

I'd suggest the virtual machine option. As i mentioned in the other thread, CLIP likes a clean install without anti virus stuff. You're better using it on a dedicated machine.

Or better yet just reinstall XP on your laptop and banish it to the shed, and get a macbook for everything else. You're welcome
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

just shelled out for one of these "maybe it works" oriental marvels, on Haakon's advice....
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Can-Clip...53.m2749.l2649
    which only indicates....
    Can Clip V178 can work on Windows 10/8.1/7
    note it says "can work on", not "requires". So, it's not particularly explicit.

Jaahn, your selected example could suggest that the programming has permission issues that upset old stuff trying to run in later environments. Even w7-32 can cause issues with stuff that was perfectly happy in XP. The constant repeating of 32bit homes does cause a little nagging fear that the thing has 16bit reliant parts.... But w10 is mentioned, so, hopefully, such is not the case.

The item coming here is not indicated as being a clone, nor are they advertising any convoluted install procedures - no doubt all these buggers are the same but such disclosures do not help sales. Big price variations, $142-$234, they all look to be coming from the same place and physically similar, with half of them not telling you anything about the PC side of the deal, all very confusing/oriental.

A dedicated laptop looks to be the ideal choice for it, probably with XP or w7-32. Elderly laptops are cheap as chips at the PC swapmeets.

Haakon got his to work, maybe we'll all be as lucky....

cheers,
    Bob

The item coming here is not indicated as being a clone, nor are they advertising any convoluted install procedures - no doubt all these buggers are the same but such disclosures do not help sales. Big price variations, $142-$234, they all look to be coming from the same place and physically similar, with half of them not telling you anything about the PC side of the deal, all very confusing

They are all clones a genuine tool is thousands and normally requires a subscription in my experience.
    You didnít think it was the real thing ?

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day, just shelled out for one of these "maybe it works" oriental marvels, on Haakon's advice....
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Can-Clip...53.m2749.l2649
    which only indicates.... note it says "can work on", not "requires". So, it's not particularly explicit.

Jaahn, your selected example could suggest that the programming has permission issues that upset old stuff trying to run in later environments. Even w7-32 can cause issues with stuff that was perfectly happy in XP. The constant repeating of 32bit homes does cause a little nagging fear that the thing has 16bit reliant parts.... But w10 is mentioned, so, hopefully, such is not the case.

The item coming here is not indicated as being a clone, nor are they advertising any convoluted install procedures - no doubt all these buggers are the same but such disclosures do not help sales. Big price variations, $142-$234, they all look to be coming from the same place and physically similar, with half of them not telling you anything about the PC side of the deal, all very confusing/oriental.

A dedicated laptop looks to be the ideal choice for it, probably with XP or w7-32. Elderly laptops are cheap as chips at the PC swapmeets.

Haakon got his to work, maybe we'll all be as lucky.... cheers, Bob
    Hi Bob
    Thanks for the reply. Bl**dy can of worms that's for sure. Good luck with it. That suggestion, off repeated, about a dedicated 32bit laptop etc would suit some people but I am not prepared to do that now

So after a bit of playing by David Mcc on my car I have decided to buy a Delphi ds150 clone instead, as he recommends. He finds it will work ok on a modern laptop and is powerful and works on lots of models of different brands, French too !! Cheaper by the looks of it. He did find it would get into the Captur menu and do a forced relearn of the tire sensors so proved it will actually get in there without a computer tech standing by. I will see what I can do when I get it !! Completely immobilise it perhaps forever !
    I will order it soon.
    Jaahn
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Auto...tFt:rk:44:pf:0
    Are they knocking these out in SA ??
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2015R3-C...Mge:rk:42:pf:0
    Knocking these out in Sydney !
    Also from China and other country resellers.
    Last edited by jaahn; 13th December 2018 at 08:05 PM.

Hell! All I'd want to buy is a thing that plugs in and works. This is all too hard.

I'll be interested to follow the thread and see what works easily. I really want "plug and play" or nothing. It is 2018 after all.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Johnw if you want plug and play contact snap on they will have a modus or similar but your into the 1000s you need to understand these are work arounds to keep the cost down for diyers if you want info on a ds150e pm me probably the best thing for your garage

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Bob
    Thanks for the reply. Bl**dy can of worms that's for sure. Good luck with it. That suggestion, off repeated, about a dedicated 32bit laptop etc would suit some people but I am not prepared to do that now

So after a bit of playing by David Mcc on my car I have decided to buy a Delphi ds150 clone instead, as he recommends. He finds it will work ok on a modern laptop and is powerful and works on lots of models of different brands, French too !! Cheaper by the looks of it. He did find it would get into the Captur menu and do a forced relearn of the tire sensors so proved it will actually get in there without a computer tech standing by. I will see what I can do when I get it !! Completely immobilise it perhaps forever !
    I will order it soon.
    Jaahn
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Auto...tFt:rk:44:pf:0
    Are they knocking these out in SA ??
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2015R3-C...Mge:rk:42:pf:0
    Knocking these out in Sydney !
    Also from China and other country resellers.
    I keep forgetting that there is a dealer network and people with the necessary equipment to deal with your problem in a cool and professional manner. But that's just me.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Johnw if you want plug and play contact snap on they will have a modus or similar but your into the 1000s you need to understand these are work arounds to keep the cost down for diyers if you want info on a ds150e pm me probably the best thing for your garage

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    I have to admit I don't begin to understand your response. But I do appreciate your taking the time to post it.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    I have to admit I don't begin to understand your response. But I do appreciate your taking the time to post it.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post

Cheers
    If you want something that will just plug into your car and work contact snapon tools they have various diagnostic tools but these cost at least 2000 dollars.

The reason all these Renault clip peugeot Citroen diagbox etc are cheap is because they are pirate software and require questionable tricks to be able to run and are not stable in their performance.

Also the hardware is reverse engineered so just like that fake Rolex from China they are close but no cigar.

Having used many diagnostic tools in the trade for years Psa Mazda Kia Subaru gm vw snapon and the god awful clip I like the Delphi ds150e system (I donít make anything out of it And I donít sell them myself )I recommend these to any home mechanic or even in the trade.

They are relatively easy to load setup and use and very stable and will work on your Renaultís and 306 but then also your neighbours car etc the only thing they donít do is commodore and falcon but they have gone the way of the dodo.

I tend to type like Michael J Fox finger paints so it comes out a bit to quick sometimes so I hope this helps.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    JohnW likes this.

Jaahn,

It is more likely that the seller is located in SA or Sydney, but that they drop ship from china once you order (ie it is sent to you from China or Hong Kong). The exception to this is if they state specifically that the stock is located in Australia.
    dmccurtayne likes this.
    KB

I believe there are a bunch a functions that are CLIP only, and the universal things are only good for code reading/clearing and even then. Not that I've used a universal one though.

There is a guy on Ozrenosport whose megane has thrown a fault in the body computer that a universal code reader cant see... It needs a CLIP. Maybe some universals are better? dunno.

CLIP was easier to set up then the knockoff clone Citroen Lexia module... That was major brain damage installing!!
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

If you want something that will just plug into your car and work contact snapon tools they have various diagnostic tools but these cost at least 2000 dollars........ I like the Delphi ds150e system (I donít make anything out of it And I donít sell them myself )I recommend these to any home mechanic or even in the trade...........
    it seems the Delphi, like CLIP, also suffers from Chinese exploitation as real ones look to be a couple of thousand QUID, didn't see a local advert, and it seems that they come with a yearly licence - maybe to sell you an update for newer models, or maybe it dies ?

The oriental version of course comes in at $30 or $40, gotta be popular, and risky according to the prophets of doom on the real website, it might even break your PC and/or your car....

Big investment for the DIY guy, probably worth more than a lot of the cars in the AF members garages. And, for the Latitude, not a great deal of functionality it seems - certainly not those tyre sensors.

......... the only thing they donít do is commodore and falcon but they have gone the way of the dodo.............
    The old BA is catered for by a relatively inexpensive little item and freebie software, forscan. Only needs an ELM327, but not from ebay.....

And Kim....
    I keep forgetting that there is a dealer network and people with the necessary equipment to deal with your problem in a cool and professional manner. But that's just me..
    that assumes that your friendly maybe local dealer wants to talk to you about your maybe non standard requirements.....

cheers,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    I believe there are a bunch a functions that are CLIP only, and the universal things are only good for code reading/clearing and even then. Not that I've used a universal one though.

There is a guy on Ozrenosport whose megane has thrown a fault in the body computer that a universal code reader cant see... It needs a CLIP. Maybe some universals are better? dunno.

CLIP was easier to set up then the knockoff clone Citroen Lexia module... That was major brain damage installing!!
    Nah this thing does almost everything codes keys on psa cars havenít tried on reggies does pef regens actuator test proper live data.
    And when you buy that enzo Ferrari you can fix that too.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Yes bob all true Iíve had mine for ages never had an issue it will work in obd mode for comm and falcon but not the extended type of features but with some playing Iíve found using similar models in us gives a bit more like body computer stuff and airbags but I try to stay away from that stuff.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

1000+ Posts

These are supposed to be Renault specific. It's an advertisement. Has anybody used it/them?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoTwxp7XC_Q
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

If you want something that will just plug into your car and work contact snapon tools they have various diagnostic tools but these cost at least 2000 dollars.

The reason all these Renault clip peugeot Citroen diagbox etc are cheap is because they are pirate software and require questionable tricks to be able to run and are not stable in their performance.

Also the hardware is reverse engineered so just like that fake Rolex from China they are close but no cigar.

Having used many diagnostic tools in the trade for years Psa Mazda Kia Subaru gm vw snapon and the god awful clip I like the Delphi ds150e system (I don’t make anything out of it And I don’t sell them myself )I recommend these to any home mechanic or even in the trade.

They are relatively easy to load setup and use and very stable and will work on your Renault’s and 306 but then also your neighbours car etc the only thing they don’t do is commodore and falcon but they have gone the way of the dodo.

I tend to type like Michael J Fox finger paints so it comes out a bit to quick sometimes so I hope this helps.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Thanks for taking the trouble. That makes it perfectly clear!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    These are supposed to be Renault specific. It's an advertisement. Has anybody used it/them?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoTwxp7XC_Q
    Iíve had a look into these seem quite pricey for one brand but seem like good quality the problem with all of these systems is unless u get free updates they can be obsolete really quickly.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

1000+ Posts

They do promise life time free updates.
    I will/want to buy something that works for when the Megane (1.2l)is out of warranty (1 year or so to go)
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

The Delphi will but they are probably all ok

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    JoBo likes this.

Thread Information