• 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 2 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 2 Post By Kim Luck
  • 4 Post By Balki

Thread: Renault Captur feed back

Default Renault Captur feed back

Hi, im looking at the Captur for my parents, can anybody give me some feed back on what they like about them, reliability etc, looking at a 2016 1.2 turbo top of the range with double clutch gearbox, do these gearboxs give any trouble

Advertisement
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

My senior mum has one, and loves it.
    Cheap as chips to run (spent $290 in 1.5 years for a service), peculiar enough that random strangers come up to her on the street and talk about it, and easy to drive.
    The gearbox is a bit unusual when creeping forward or back a bit when parking, but it's nothing you don't get used to.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

My in-laws got one after retiring their V6 Laguna, and have been very happy with it. Yes, the creeping forward thing is a bit weird, but not much of an issue. Overall quite peppy, given its engine size, comfortable and stylish.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

1000+ Posts

Hi Balki
    We have had one for 18mths now. Happy with it and it has now got to 20000ks. No problems. Goes OK and went to Sydney a while back with 4 adults and sat on the speed limit all the way on cruise control up the big hills no worries. The gear box is OK and you get used to it. A bit laggy sometimes taking off but you get used to that also.

We bought it because it was a perfect height to get in and out of. Not low but not as high as a 4WD. I still like that. The back 'boot' space will fit a dishwasher in and the rear seat gives a bit of station waggon flexibility for general use with a square shape. I put a dash mat on to stop the horrible reflection off the dash which is really bad. It is easy to handle and park with the rear camera screen. Fuel economy good. The phone connection is only just ok as is the GPS but we do not use it much.

Now to the down side. The bouncy ride. We have the most expensive tire option with the lowest profile tires. Sh*t. I have since removed them and fitted the highest profile tires and smallest rims listed on the tire placard. I do not believe they sell them here. That has improved the ride somewhat but it is still too bouncy around the suburbs. i lowered the pressure a bit also Not sure what else to do about it. But it is below the standard I expected from a French car and my previous Renault experience.
    Jaahn
    PS that creeping foward, at a stop sign, cost me $320 a couple of days after we bought it First booking for 9 years.
    Last edited by jaahn; 16th November 2018 at 09:49 AM.

I'm also interested, my step daughter has her eyes on one providing the bank agrees.

The bad ride is a concern with the bad roads around our area. I don't understand why they can't make suspension any more? If it's a RS Sport yes I understand but I expect a small SUV runabout to be comfortable.

I think we'd better test drive some first.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

It's the bane of nearly all small SUV's. The Captur is far from the worst. The need ( maybe ) to control roll with a higher centre of gravity, leads to thicket roll bars and stiffer springs. All the ones I have driven suffer from annoying po-go-ing effects.
    I haven't driven the Cactus, but it's meant to be an improvement.

95 Peugeot 306 S16

As an aside, most recently produced cars from wherever seem to have suspensions designed by people involved in the cart axle era, where roadholding was defined by suspension stiffness or you couldn't get one leg in the air, either front or back depending on where the drive was. The luxurious French suspensions are no longer de rigueur as ostensibly roads have improved, but not in Australia. Who doesn't remember cornering R4's and R16's on their door handles whilst driving them up and down the so called Hume Highway at impossible speeds and in absolute ride comfort. It's time to bring those suspensions back!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thanks for the replies, going to look and drive one tomorrow, will report back on my findings

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

Quote Originally Posted by Balki View Post
    Hi, im looking at the Captur for my parents, can anybody give me some feed back on what they like about them, reliability etc, looking at a 2016 1.2 turbo top of the range with double clutch gearbox, do these gearboxs give any trouble
    Hello...we have had our 2018 Captur 1.2 ltr Turbo now for 6 months and doing fine.
    No problems with he gearbox when you understand how to use it properly and don't leave it in gear at lights
    for extended periods which can lead to over heating of the clutches
    Don't use big rims and low profile tyres!
    Run the tyres at 34 psi font and rear and don't expect to have a Citroen ride...those days are past ;o))
    I think these cars are very well finished, comfortable and very capable.
    DO NOT use cheap shit petrol!!....you will pay for it in the end....always use 95 RON fuel.
    We've had one minor warrant problem that has been fixed with a replacement traversing
    motor in the left door mirror...no big deal ;o))
    This car replaced our 2003 Peugeot 307 XSE 2.0 ltr petrol and after 15 years faithful service
    we handed it over to my younger daughter and it now is showing 194,000klm.
    I have always serviced our cars and it pains me to have to abide by the warranty conditions
    but there seems far less to do on these newer cars....I guess I'm almost redundant ;o)=)
    Cheers from Tazfrog
    2003 307 XSEA EW10J4 2.0 ltr petrol AL4
    China Blue.
    2018 Renault Captur 1.2 Turbo Orange/Black

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    As an aside, most recently produced cars from wherever seem to have suspensions designed by people involved in the cart axle era, where roadholding was defined by suspension stiffness or you couldn't get one leg in the air, either front or back depending on where the drive was. The luxurious French suspensions are no longer de rigueur as ostensibly roads have improved, but not in Australia. Who doesn't remember cornering R4's and R16's on their door handles whilst driving them up and down the so called Hume Highway at impossible speeds and in absolute ride comfort. It's time to bring those suspensions back!
    I don't get it. They could do it once. Besides crash safety and fuel usage the motor car has not improved since the 70's
    jaahn likes this.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by tazfrog View Post
    DO NOT use cheap shit petrol!!....you will pay for it in the end....always use 95 RON fuel.

Yes people need to be aware of this. We sold a Captur engine a few weeks back.
    The customers car had done very little kms (can't remember exactly) and we asked what happened he said that she'd been
    using cheep fuel (91 RON) to save money and now it has no compression and won't start.
    tazfrog likes this.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I don't get it. They could do it once. Besides crash safety and fuel usage the motor car has not improved since the 70's
    Hi
    Yes without going any further back to the good ol' days, the best family car I had was the R20 which was a superb car for general use and touring. Did lots of fast Ks in that, sometimes with 5 people and sometimes also with a trailer, and the ride was always great no matter the load. And it handled well and safely. We wore that one out and it taught the kids to drive. Later an R19 was a good ride and handling, not as well appointed or spacious as the 20 but it was a good drive.
    So where did they put the engineers that designed them ??????????????
    Jaahn
    dmccurtayne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Balki View Post
    Thanks for the replies, going to look and drive one tomorrow, will report back on my findings

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    Before you go for a test drive, take a pencil type tyre gauge with you and check the tyre pressures are the same as those shown on the placard. The service people never seem to get the pressures right, particularly on demos, which is a bit stupid when you are trying to impress buyers.....
    tazfrog likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tazfrog View Post
    Hello...we have had our 2018 Captur 1.2 ltr Turbo now for 6 months and doing fine.
    No problems with he gearbox when you understand how to use it properly and don't leave it in gear at lights
    for extended periods which can lead to over heating of the clutches

Don't use big rims and low profile tyres!
    Run the tyres at 34 psi font and rear and don't expect to have a Citroen ride...those days are past ;o))
    I think these cars are very well finished, comfortable and very capable.
    -----
    ;o)=)
    Hi Tasfrog
    With regards to the gears and clutches, it is not necessary to put the gear in neutral or ?? when stopped. That would be a poorly designed system. You must not use the accelerator to hold the car on a slope while stopped or on a hill start like you can with a hydraulic auto. But the Captur has a holding function so if you use the brake firmly the brakes stay on for 2 seconds while you get onto the accelerator and then they release as you drive off. Specially done to protect the clutches from abuse. I found that I had to get out of the habit of using the handbrake for that and just use the foot brake to activate the function. Old habits die hard.

By the way that gearbox is a Getrag and is fitted to a lot of other brands. Some had problems with the clutches because of the misuse of the auto while starting by people who previously had hydraulic autos. That is why Renault fitted the brake hold function. You must drive it like it was designed to be driven like any car with new technology. The clutches begin to engage after you brake and then put your foot on the accelerator again so it will pull away smartly. So do not do that early, but wait till you are actually ready to go, keep the brake on till then.
    Jaahn
    Getrag dual-clutch transmissions are used in the BMW M3, BMW 335is, BMW Z4 (E89) sDrive35i, Dacia Duster EDC,Ferrari California,Ferrari 458 Italia,LaFerrari, Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG,Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X, Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus, Renault Megane, Renault Scenic, smart fortwo, Volvo V40, Volvo V60Volvo V70 vehicles.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getrag

Last edited by jaahn; 17th November 2018 at 11:07 AM.
    Kim Luck and tazfrog like this.

Re suspension, I don't like the hard suspension of the koleos over the bad pot holes on my local streets.....But when it comes to going fast around a series of corners, or sitting on a freeway at 110 and quickly swerving to avoid a brick or piece of truck tyre on the road, then I really appreciate the stiff suspension. Put 43psi in the front to sharpen it up more!!
    One corner is fine in a flop mobile but do a series of tight turns and it all turns too shite.
    Maybe I always drove old versions of French cars but on the older Renaults, R16/12/25/fuego, found I needed to be very switched on when driving these flop mobiles fast, and cornering required a great deal of commitment and the hope that nothing unforeseen required the car to alter its line from the one I was committing to.
    Jo
    tazfrog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Yes people need to be aware of this. We sold a Captur engine a few weeks back.
    The customers car had done very little kms (can't remember exactly) and we asked what happened he said that she'd been
    using cheep fuel (91 RON) to save money and now it has no compression and won't start.
    In our hand book, it states quite clearly about using poor quality low octane fuel
    I have always impressed on my girls not skimp on fuel and preferably always buy it from the same servo
    as a known quality source.
    The Captur engines along with many other these days is a high compression (11:1) highly stressed motor
    that requires top grade fuel and top quality full synthetic oils.
    Also being a 'direct injected' design and considering the amount of short trips involved in day to day running
    I have been having a discussion with our local dealer about using a similar regime that is used for
    Subaru and treating with an inlet tract foam cleaner at certain intervals.
    Cheers from Tazfrog
    China Blue.

Before you go for a test drive, take a pencil type tyre gauge with you and check the tyre pressures are the same as those shown on the placard. The service people never seem to get the pressures right, particularly on demos, which is a bit stupid when you are trying to impress buyers.....
    I'll attest to that!
    When we picked up our Captur and drove home the 160klm, I checked the tyres next day cold and found they had 46 psi!
    This would have been storage and delivery pressures.
    I re set the pressures at 34 psi front and rear.
    I also dislike Bridgestone tyres, harsh and noisy and will be changed out as soon as possible to Hancook
    or Yokohamas.
    My daughter runs Hancooks on her Hyundai and they are very quiet with good traction and wear....and she
    doesn't treat it gently.
    The Peugeot 307 came with Pirellis which wore out at 26,000klm so, we ditched those for Yokohama Advans
    which really suit the car with good traction and very quiet even on our course bitumen roads.
    Cheers from Tazfrog
    China Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Tasfrog
    With regards to the gears and clutches, it is not necessary to put the gear in neutral or ?? when stopped. That would be a poorly designed system. You must not use the accelerator to hold the car on a slope while stopped or on a hill start like you can with a hydraulic auto. But the Captur has a holding function so if you use the brake firmly the brakes stay on for 2 seconds while you get onto the accelerator and then they release as you drive off. Specially done to protect the clutches from abuse. I found that I had to get out of the habit of using the handbrake for that and just use the foot brake to activate the function. Old habits die hard.

By the way that gearbox is a Getrag and is fitted to a lot of other brands. Some had problems with the clutches because of the misuse of the auto while starting by people who previously had hydraulic autos. That is why Renault fitted the brake hold function. You must drive it like it was designed to be driven like any car with new technology. The clutches begin to engage after you brake and then put your foot on the accelerator again so it will pull away smartly. So do not do that early, but wait till you are actually ready to go, keep the brake on till then.
    Jaahn
    Getrag dual-clutch transmissions are used in the BMW M3, BMW 335is, BMW Z4 (E89) sDrive35i, Dacia Duster EDC,Ferrari California,Ferrari 458 Italia,LaFerrari, Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG,Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X, Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus, Renault Megane, Renault Scenic, smart fortwo, Volvo V40, Volvo V60Volvo V70 vehicles.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getrag

Thanks for the advice Jaahn....yes, old habits die hard ;o))
    My wife and I are both left foot brakers as we have always had automatics
    I had a stroke up my left side years ago and i don't have the strength in my left leg to drive manuals.
    I find the DCT's an interesting design and much more preferable that an CVT as fitted to the Koleos
    we tried.
    Cheers from Tazfrog
    China Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Re suspension, I don't like the hard suspension of the koleos over the bad pot holes on my local streets.....But when it comes to going fast around a series of corners, or sitting on a freeway at 110 and quickly swerving to avoid a brick or piece of truck tyre on the road, then I really appreciate the stiff suspension. Put 43psi in the front to sharpen it up more!!
    One corner is fine in a flop mobile but do a series of tight turns and it all turns too shite.
    Maybe I always drove old versions of French cars but on the older Renaults, R16/12/25/fuego, found I needed to be very switched on when driving these flop mobiles fast, and cornering required a great deal of commitment and the hope that nothing unforeseen required the car to alter its line from the one I was committing to.
    Jo
    Surely, Jo, at 43 PSI the only part of the tyre contacting the road would be about an inch of crown? I recently did Bombala and return from Melbourne in both directions at a "bit" more than the posted with the Hankooks at 2 PSI F&R over the standard pressures with nary a squeal or any lack of directional stability. You must be doing high speed runs on a track!
    tazfrog and jaahn like this.

1000+ Posts

Default Hmm ?? ride ?

Hi
    Just a couple of notes. If you have a Captur and the rattle/tapping drives you mad in the back then it is probably the seat belt buckles hitting the hard interior trim ! If you get your bloody passengers to put the belts in the rear sitting straight on the seat back you will do better than me but that is the cure. You can reach the front passenger seat belt to hang the buckle straight and not tapping. Just a little thing

The wheels and tires I took off mine were standard top fitment, 17" mags with Michelin tires. Not rubbish but IMHO unsuitable for my use around town etc. We do not drive at 10 tenths any more or even close, and have not done so for years now. But gees it looked better with the originals than the ones I have on now.

As far as the old "floppy" handling cars, I never found it a problem. HOWEVER there is obviously some middle ground where the suspension is a bit stiffer than before but not hard and harsh. Perhaps a bit more compliance which the French invented, I believe, with Michelin working with the car manufacturers 50 years ago. Or even dual rate springs. I will become a consultant for only $500/hr.

It is not rocket science and I blame the marketing which puts smart looks and BS above practical day to day use. But I would be the first to admit that the looks and BS accessories are in greater demand than ever out on the roads. Hell look at the utes and 4WDs people drive now. BS BS BS and more BS from the front Bull Bar to the rear tow bar. Buying the vehicle is just the down payment. Or if you want to make a better statement buy a very expensive SUV/4WD and use that to do the kiddie run and shopping. BS.
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 17th November 2018 at 03:40 PM.

Surely, Jo, at 43 PSI the only part of the tyre contacting the road would be about an inch of crown? I recently did Bombala and return from Melbourne in both directions at a "bit" more than the posted with the Hankooks at 2 PSI F&R over the standard pressures with nary a squeal or any lack of directional stability. You must be doing high speed runs on a track!
    Maybe running a bigger wheel/tyre combo than most KoleI balances it out.
    The wear is certainly even across the tread.

Jo

well, went down and got my mum and dad to drive it and they loved it, the front seats a very comfy for a small car, they will pick it up in a couple weeks, thanks for all the advice
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

Fellow Frogger!

Congrats. The front seats sold it to my folks too.

95 Peugeot 306 S16

Fellow Frogger!

Hi David,
    we have recently bought a used Captur (2015, 1.2L). We live at the end of a 5 km dirt road and the ride is about the same if not better as our previous Citroen C4 diesel. My wife and I find it more than acceptable. All in all we are very happy with this car BUT......
    the GPS/navigation system is many years behind, obviously previous owners did not use it. As I understand it you can upgrade it through a stick and Renault Navi Extras website but one has to pay. For some reason cost is stated in USDlr 180.!! Does anyone kow of a free solution?

I've been asking about this ride deterioration for years now. My understanding is that it is ongoing simplification of suspension systems to reduce costs and stay "competitive". When you consider our Peugeot 306 cost about $30K 23 years ago and look at what they cost now, the production costs, considering inflation, must have been reduced by 25 to 40% or so. No wonder they can't get the ride to a decent standard.

I had a ride in a 16TS a year or so back near Bathurst on an indifferent road. I'd forgotten just how competent they are!! Sigh.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information