r12 - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: r12

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    The orange 1972 car is the most rust I think i have ever seen in an R12. The 1972 models seem to suffer a bit from rust. I can see a tiny bit in the right rear door of the white car. Can you post a pic of the engine in the orange car and the interior of the white car?
    Good grief. That orange one is by far the worst I've ever seen. I think it might be beyond buffing up!!! I'd check over the white one very carefully before committing too much time and money too, as outside storage does cause slight problems...…

The late R12s are pretty good - hope it all works out for you and, as you've already discovered, there's lots of help out here.

Cheers

Advertisement
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

COL

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Yes, the wheels look wrong, but did we have a 12 with those bumpers?
    Yep we did
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Indeed we did, like a S2 r12 before the virage came out.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Re crossflow heads yes there a bunch on Alibaba too!

But yes cam and who knows if the journals are the same?

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

The orange R12 wouldn't happen to have rego RED983 by any chance would it?

Sent from my CPH1721 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Current Frogs:

1964 Renault 8 (1289 / Sonics)
    1968 Renault 10 (Modified 1.4L Alpine White)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by R10S FAN View Post
    The orange R12 wouldn't happen to have rego RED983 by any chance would it?

Sent from my CPH1721 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    it may well have had that number. when i returned to pick them up both cars had the plates removed. i did get the ones for the white car for reg check. they wouldn't do it because i had no engine number. have to do i.d check now. i had chassis number and vin which was correct so i hoping there wont be any issues. it has minor rust spots but nothing drastic. i will have to do repairs before i take it in. bummer as the original color was liquid amber and now is white. i had interned to return to original but will patch up as white. my grands son, who is 13 found the cars and will be helping to restore. or at least pretending he is helping. he is into cars big time, been wanting to get a classic. when he spotted these he was over the moon. more or less talked the owner out of them for pocket money.
    bowie likes this.

Tadpole

dash pics.Attachment 110240

What you have there in the white car is a 12XL, with the later Phase 2 12 body, and originally fitted with a 1289cc motor. The bottom end had a larger crank and main bearings, with a 180mm diameter clutch (if fitted with a manual trans).

The 12XL was a short lived model introduced in early 1976 and superseded in mid 1976 when the ADR27A emission rules came into play, and the 12XL was replaced by the 12 1.4. The 1.4 has different engine pistons and liners with an o-ring seal at their base. The 12XL 1289cc motor retained the paper liner seals. Also the XL model designation was Australia only, outside of Australia nobody would know that the 12XL existed.

The motor "0016627" was originally fitted to an automatic transmission car. The engine number is late 1975, a lot of the automatic cars had the gearbox replaced when the auto 'box suffered problems.
    JohnW and jaahn like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

well , thanks for the info Simon. would make it a rare piece. pity i don't have original motor. it had seized and had been discarded. the owner bought the red car to replace it but thats where it ended.

Tadpole

when we brought these cars home my grandson soon came up with what had in mind. wanted to make a gordini look alike. did his research and discovered the good car would not fit the profile. we are currently prepping up the engine bay for painting. his latest desire now is to make an alpine. after hearing from Simon we have a dilemma as to go for the alpine look or restore back to original. whats your view on this every one.

There never was an Alpine R12, but there was a Gordini R12. If you keep it white, and paint the Gordini style stripes in French Blue, I think it would look quite nice.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Overseas, the 12G came in a number of colours, not only blue, but I think the factory white 12G had red stripes (or maybe the factory red 12G had white?).

Renault 12 Gordini
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Don’t mistake the word rare to equal valuable :-) . Even the best Renault 12 (R1170/R1177/R1179/R133x) is not a valuable car, so every dollar you invest in the car should go towards making it roadworthy and reliable - in the knowledge it is unlikely to result in a large positive future financial windfall.

A nice 12 is a great car, not exceptionally fast but with good road manners. Just make sure that what you have is solid, they have a nice habit of rusting the floors between the soundproofing and the underseal on the underside, as well as in the A-pillars, wheel arches over the rear wheels, back of the front mudguards (see your red 12TL, it has all the usual spots) etc.. Fortunately the 12XL is less prone, I’ve found the best of the 12s are in the narrow window of mid-1974 (when rustproofing improved, and they sorted out the Electrophoresis process) and late 1976. After 1976, many of the cars were made from recycled Russian steel, due to a French steel strike. So either the panels rusted prematurely, the body rusted prematurely, or both rusted prematurely………..

So, in a nutshell, just create what you wish, and enjoy the car for what it is.
    bowie and JohnW like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by rubyalpine View Post
    There never was an Alpine R12,
    Ask Dr Google about the 12 Alpine. It was created by Renault in the Argentinian market :-)
    Kim Luck likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Agree with Simon.

Even the 810 engine can be satisfactory for the car, given it is rather lightweight and the engine is quite rev happy.

Of course, a 807 has 100 hp in factory guise, so that doubles the power with absolutely no effort on your part. A stock 12G/17G engine takes it up to 160/120HP. Parts are still available off the shelf.

With today's electronics, I think you can eek out a bit more power for little money. The real gain will be infinitely better reliability.

I happen to think that is plenty for a car like the 12 but if you want to modify further, it's up to your wallet then. Have look into Frans' thread and what he achieved with one of these (807).
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 23rd October 2018 at 01:09 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by rubyalpine View Post
    There never was an Alpine R12, but there was a Gordini R12. If you keep it white, and paint the Gordini style stripes in French Blue, I think it would look quite nice.

Henry
    Ah but there was..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfgdqyKLqk8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah6fr-lg1m0

#EDIT! ah sorry late to the alpine party again.
    Last edited by bowie; 23rd October 2018 at 01:22 PM.
    Kim Luck likes this.

Sorry! You learn something new every day.

Henry
    Sunroof and JohnW like this.
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Tadpole

been trying to contact you ref engine. dont think its working. have you recieved any private messages from me. thanks

Tadpole

can any one tell me where to buy outer drive shaft grease boots and engine manifold to exhaust pipe gasket. thanks.

Fellow Frogger!

My local place has been the Driveshaft and CV Centre at 12 Deloraine Rd, Edwardstown. Ph (08) 8374 2944.

I was originally referred there by Linton's garage, well known Renault guys.

Gasket probably available at AAA Exhaust, 20 Deacon Avenue, Richmond. Ph (08) 8352 7444.

Ah, Linton's Garage. Back in the distant past (maybe 1987), I took the R8 to Tony Goode there (ex-Renault Australia Service Manager for those who don't know) and they refitted my back window with a shrunken but origina seal, taking hours. Wonderful people.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

thanks for that. i'm in need of them. while i'm here any one know any thing a coilover shocks. in able to do the machining and fitting ext. i made my own for a clubman my son and i built a while ago [about six years]. some pics and actual spring, shocker info would be good. getting ahead of my self a bit but would like to go down that road. much easier to set ride height. also any disks and caliper the will fit other than Renault i can adapt.

Tadpole

just an update on my project. have the engine out of the older car and prept the engine bay of the newer one ready to install eginge into it. going to clean up engine and do a few test on it first.

1000+ Posts

[QUOTE=swagman;1590112 also any disks and caliper the will fit other than Renault I can adapt.[/QUOTE]

Actually Renault R15/17 vented discs and calipers plus the double vacumm unit from an R17TS/G will stop as well as most modern cars. They bolt straight on to a 12. Front 12 discs with calipers off an R17TS/G or Fiat 130??? fit on the rear with fittings for the handbrake.

What's this front brakes on the rear stuff? Surely you need the disc rear end?

As for coilovers, I think someone here bought some from Europe not long ago. Sorry I forget the brand

It you can make stuff however, Subaru rear struts are pretty similar woth how they mount on the front of these things. You could check a wrecker for some ideas?

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information