BUSHES R1135 tie rods
  • Register
  • Help

Default BUSHES R1135 tie rods

Question without notice.

Firstly,are the bushes in the rear suspension tie rod still available for this car?
    Secondly,how does one remove the old ones without damage to the tie rod?

Advertisement

Regards,
    Ross

Mecaparts have them on their catalogue, so I presume yes. Quality of the repro ones? No idea.

I've often hoped never to have to tackle this job!! My old method with 4CV anti-sway bar bushes was to clean out the decayed rubber then manually and very carefully to cut through the outer steel with a new hacksaw blade to release the tightness, then hammer and screwdriver.... The challenge is to keep the blade parallel and not to cut the socket into which the bush is pressed.

Better would be to press them out with a mandrel of exactly the right diameter.

Be interesting to hear what you end up doing! Obviously the bush must be pressed in to about the right position... Good luck with it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Mecaparts have them on their catalogue, so I presume yes. Quality of the repro ones? No idea.

I've often hoped never to have to tackle this job!! My old method with 4CV anti-sway bar bushes was to clean out the decayed rubber then manually and very carefully to cut through the outer steel with a new hacksaw blade to release the tightness, then hammer and screwdriver.... The challenge is to keep the blade parallel and not to cut the socket into which the bush is pressed.

Better would be to press them out with a mandrel of exactly the right diameter.

Be interesting to hear what you end up doing! Obviously the bush must be pressed in to about the right position... Good luck with it.
    With difficult bushes on my 203 Peugeot many years ago I burned out the rubber, then being able to get to the steel sleeve and cut the way you had suggested. This is probably the way I will do it, but only when I have new ones to go in. Will keep you posted. Might not be for a month or so. No hurry, car still in panelbeaters.

Fellow Frogger!

As far as I can remember without looking at the manual, remove the three nuts on the two forward mounts of the trailing arms. Make a note of the position and undo the two nyloc nuts securing the arms to the swing axles. Drop the forward mounts down and remove the two nuts one on the end of each arm, they are inside the tube of the mount.

Slide the mounts off the arms, press the old bushes out and then press the new ones in. Re attach everything and that's it.
    nuts h

Quote Originally Posted by rosbosca View Post
    With difficult bushes on my 203 Peugeot many years ago I burned out the rubber, then being able to get to the steel sleeve and cut the way you had suggested. This is probably the way I will do it, but only when I have new ones to go in. Will keep you posted. Might not be for a month or so. No hurry, car still in panelbeaters.
    I'd only add "are you sure they need replacing?" There's a bit of history evolving about quality of newly made rubber parts across the French car groups I suspect. I'd be inclined to leave well alone unless they fail. All these arms do is keep the whole transaxle parallel with the car, so the suspension won't fail but you'll get bump steer and/or rattling. My view anyway.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I'd only add "are you sure they need replacing?" There's a bit of history evolving about quality of newly made rubber parts across the French car groups I suspect. I'd be inclined to leave well alone unless they fail. All these arms do is keep the whole transaxle parallel with the car, so the suspension won't fail but you'll get bump steer and/or rattling. My view anyway.

Cheers
    You'll get more than that. They operate as toe-control arms & if one's trunnion bearings are worn & these arms are not compensating for that, then lift off oversteer will (via toe-out) will be exacerbated.

cheers! Peter

Thread Information