fold-down rear seat R16
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Melc

Thread: fold-down rear seat R16

Fellow Frogger!

Default fold-down rear seat R16

We can't figure out how to fold down the rear seat. Renault 16, Australian assembled. I think it's 1976 model.

Michael

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    We can't figure out how to fold down the rear seat. Renault 16, Australian assembled. I think it's 1976 model.

Michael
    The photo might help. They are also completely removable. The rear upper backrest is held on by a bar across the vehicle, the lower seat has two pinned locations at the front of the seat. Lift the backrest up and forward to enable you to rotate the cushion forward. There were two straps that held the backrest up near the roof parallel with it. P.S: The design never changed for the life of R16/TS production as far as I know.............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fold-down rear seat R16-r16-seats.jpg  
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Yes, Kim is correct. I have a 1976 16TS and the back rest of the rear seat is lifted forward and up from the base to hang on the grab handles by straps under the base of the seat. Or you remove them altogether by then undoing them from the pivot at the top of the back rest where it attaches to the parcel shelf. An unusual design but very effective.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Brilliant design I reckon.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Recollecting my own two amazing cars, the five extra seat positions shown in that picture are all additional to the normal rear seat position. The complete rear seat could be moved forward about four inches from it's normal position, cushion and backrest, to increase boot size and also allow all those five other positions, plus the ability to remove the rear seat entirely.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Fellow Frogger!

My mate hasn't got back to tell me how he got on. You have all been very helpful. I try not to get too involved as I don't want to be tempted to buy one of these innovative 70's cars. Cookie has removed the panel above the bonnet (it gives access to windscreen wiper mechanism) as it had rust and replaced with a good one from the wreck.
    Engine runs well and auto box seems good. I would prefer a manual but as I say .... I don't want to get too involved.
    Michael

I wondered when you would move to the dark side. I am a friend of John from Brisbane and have always had 16s. Pm me your number if you want a chat.

Tony

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    JohnW likes this.
    4's 16's and Caravelle

Thread Information