• Register
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Richard W
  • 1 Post By Sunroof
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 2 Post By forzamacchi
  • 1 Post By renault8&10

Thread: Craigslist R8 / push button to manual?

Default Craigslist R8 / push button to manual?

Hello All,
    It's been a while.... I made the move to the mountains and couldn't take my R8 with me . However, I could potentially get another car now. I've spotted this R8 on craiglist https://slo.craigslist.org/cto/d/196...697869571.html

Advertisement

Obviously, its quite a project...though something I am not frightened of... lol....

My big question is converting the push button trans to a manual? How difficult is this to do?

Cheers!
    Ben

Sorry to hear your 8 couldn't come with you but happy you may have another red one to play with.

Unsure of what the linkages may look like, I suspect that might be the biggest hurdle in swapping the tranies around?

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Fellow Frogger!

The biggest question is if it really has a push button auto. I think they may have seen that in some dream unless they somehow converted it. The picture of the engine bay does not indicate any engine/transmission swap ?

Shoji likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Wow, dreams do come true

1000+ Posts

It certainly is wow! Why not keep it auto? It would be some rare car.
    forzamacchi likes this.

Compared tot he amount of work needed to restore the car, I would say converting to a manual should be a breeze.

Why couldn't you take the other car with you?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    It certainly is wow! Why not keep it auto? It would be some rare car.
    WOW, I'm with Sunroof. How cool and relatively unique would that be?

Dano

Sunroof is right about most Renault things and this is no exeption IMHO

The auto's weren't known for their reliability however. We never got them here of course (to my knowledge), but that doesn't mean they never existed

I've got some literature at home that mention the auto option. I think it was real early and didn't last the full life of the R8.

Edit - I see someone has linked to one of the brochures I was thinking of, plus I think I have a multi page A4 one that isn't uniquely on the auto. Also, if this is genuine '66 then my comment about them being early, and not "lasting the distance" may also not be correct. They had these in Europe and the UK and I thought they finished earlier than that - of course a '66 purchase may have been a '64 or 65 manufactured car.

I agree. It would be one unique car if it was able to be resurrected as Auto.
    Last edited by renault8&10; 17th September 2018 at 02:49 PM.
    KB

Hi there - long time no hear!! I was hoping the fires missed you.

1. What happened to the other car???

2. There was one of those autos in Perth many years ago but the best Renault mechanics here (who were good) never got it to work properly and they converted it to manual I was told. Back then you could do that easily as there were plenty of R10s around for secondhand parts. The autos have a different flywheel with brushes running against it, no gear lever and two pedals.... You need those bits for conversion although it may be that the auto flywheel will accommodate a manual clutch (ah, cable, new gearbox end plate etc needed there). I doubt it is difficult but you'd need to get the bits from a donor car I suppose.

3. I have a friend in Perth who drove them in Germany and it seems they do work - strange things with solenoids operating a manual gearbox with a Ferlec clutch I think - but the brushes need changing reasonably often as they are wiped on the outside of the flywheel at engine speed.

4. There are a few actually registered in England, so presumably some are actually working. You could Google the Renault Classic Car Club there and get in touch as you might be able to get in touch with an actual owner who knows about them first hand.

5. Contact Marvin of ROCNA and see what he knows, and Jacques of course.

6. I reckon I have a photocopy of a workshop manual for the auto transmission (in the cupboard Kevin ) so if you are very brave and buy the thing I'd post it over.

7. You'd suspect it is in the shed because the auto stopped working 45 years ago....

8. Again, what happened to the previous car that so much work went into?

We look forward to news....

Best wishes
    vivid likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hello John!

Looks like the project car from CL has sold. Not that I need another project....yet. I've imported 20 Italian motorcycles from Italy, that I am currently selling. They are definitely taking up a lot of time. As far as my old car.... It found its way into a collection of a great guy. I had to sell it because we moved to an area where I couldn't properly store her....until now. I didn't want to see the car languishing outside all winter. We now live at 6000 feet and even have snow! It's in a small town called Idyllwild.... in the mountains above Palm Springs. My search for a French car will resume once the Italian motorcycle bonanza subsides. My new shop even has a car lift!

On another note....the fires just missed us. We were evacuated for three days whilst they battled. I'm glad to say we are safe for now. However, the worry will become a regular part of the summer.

Speak to you soon!
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Hi there - long time no hear!! I was hoping the fires missed you.

1. What happened to the other car???

2. There was one of those autos in Perth many years ago but the best Renault mechanics here (who were good) never got it to work properly and they converted it to manual I was told. Back then you could do that easily as there were plenty of R10s around for secondhand parts. The autos have a different flywheel with brushes running against it, no gear lever and two pedals.... You need those bits for conversion although it may be that the auto flywheel will accommodate a manual clutch (ah, cable, new gearbox end plate etc needed there). I doubt it is difficult but you'd need to get the bits from a donor car I suppose.

3. I have a friend in Perth who drove them in Germany and it seems they do work - strange things with solenoids operating a manual gearbox with a Ferlec clutch I think - but the brushes need changing reasonably often as they are wiped on the outside of the flywheel at engine speed.

4. There are a few actually registered in England, so presumably some are actually working. You could Google the Renault Classic Car Club there and get in touch as you might be able to get in touch with an actual owner who knows about them first hand.

5. Contact Marvin of ROCNA and see what he knows, and Jacques of course.

6. I reckon I have a photocopy of a workshop manual for the auto transmission (in the cupboard Kevin ) so if you are very brave and buy the thing I'd post it over.

7. You'd suspect it is in the shed because the auto stopped working 45 years ago....

8. Again, what happened to the previous car that so much work went into?

We look forward to news....

Best wishes
    Sunroof and JohnW like this.

Hi Ben,

I just looked up Google Earth for Idyllwild - you're out in what we'd call the "back blocks" but I see quite a bit of subdivision around the small town centre. It looks lovely.

I'm sure you'll find a French car project once you've recovered from the bikes! You won't find another R8 like the last one mind you.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Could you hear the banjo's playing stalker John?!!
    JohnW likes this.
    KB

Thread Information