a couple of simple questions about a 2016/2017 Megane...
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default a couple of simple questions about a 2016/2017 Megane...

I am currently on holiday in NZ and our hire car is a Renault Megane, 2016/2017 model. Dunno how to ID it exactly, but it has glossy black grille with big chrome diamond in the centre, but the tail lights are the same as earlier versions, not the flat tail lights of the current model. The car has a simple display on top of the dashboard for radio settings, etc, similar to my old Pug 307. No touchscreen. The car is imported to NZ as a used Japanese market car, so it has a Japanese spec radio - FM band only goes from 70 to 89, the station I want to listen to (Radio NZ national) is about 101 on the dial so I can't pick it up in the car. There is no instruction manual in the car.

Advertisement

My questions:

- Is there some setting in the radio setup where I can select a Europe/Aussie FM radio dial instead of the Japanese band?
    - How do I turn on cruise control? Steering wheel buttons are clearly + and - on the left and R and 0 on the right but nothing initiates cruise control. Is there a button somewhere else?

- how do I pair a bluetooth phone to it, for music and for calls?

- what fuel? Rental company says 91 but surely a 1.2 turbo would prefer 95? though 91 is over $2.20 here. eek!

- is it a DSG transmission? I think so but it is smoother at low speeds than my new VW Golf dsg. How would I tell by looking?

It is a lovely car so far. Seats are very comfortable and supportive. Plenty of get up and go from the tiny 1.2 engine. Good size boot. Only negative so far, after one days driving, is that the doors shut with a tinny clang, sounds cheap and nasty. Otherwise, love it. Nice to be back in a Renault.

COL

On the radio I reckon you would have to change the head unit from the Japanese version to a Europe/Aussie version.

The cruise control is a button on the centre console that doubles as a cruise/speed limiter depending on which is selected
    E-GUIDE.RENAULT.COM / Megane-hatch / Let the technology in your vehicle help you / CRUISE CONTROL

Bluetooth
    http://world.e-guides.renault.com/si...NX1199_ENG.pdf

And another link that might answer your last 2 questions
    E-GUIDE.RENAULT.COM / Megane-hatch / Take your vehicle in hand / Index

Hope this helps and that I have got the right model
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Simca all the Jap importa in NZ have Jap only spec radio tuners inside so what most of us did in the early days of the Jap import invasion was to install what now costs about $10 a band expander which shifts all frequencies 5Mhz so you pick up all the higher freqs and shift the low ones that we don't have the licence for.
    Most just throw out the stereo and install a replacement.

We had a genuine VW Japanese midi player....really useful so lost that to a new Panasonic.

Enjoy the land of long white clouds

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Col and Dimistyle for replying.
    Unfortunately Col's links are for the newer Megane 4 that came out in 2016. This rental car is an early 2016 build, Megane 3. Still I think Col's link is similar enough that I will be able to fumble my way through the bluetooth setup.

I have found a user manual in the little shelf behind the glovebox... but it is in Japanese! Also a build sheet, in a mixture of French and Spanish, mostly Spanish. The sheet lists which "principaux equipaments mobiles specifiques a ce vehicule" are installed. Build date on the sheet is 05/03/2016. As most of the text is Spanish, I'd assume the car was made in Spain?

VIN check says the engine is H5F, that is the 1.2 turbo. The internet tells me the trans is either a Jatco 6 speed or an EDC 6 speed, depends which site I read. Renault Australia brochure for that model says 1.2 T engine has manual or EDC trans, would that be the same for Japanese spec, or might the Jap car have a conventional auto? The reason I wonder is, the rental car's transmission is much smoother at takeoff in situations where my 2017 Golf with DSG might be jerky, it is a nicer trans to use.

Jap spec Euro cars where similar to NZ/AU spec but differed with interior looks usually.....maybe ring a local Renault dealer there's one in Greenlane if your in Auckland and ask the parts guys to confirm gearbox from VIN they will know its an import but at least have all the factory details.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thread Information