• 1 Post By nauli
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By Frans
  • 2 Post By renault8&10
  • 1 Post By keith mcelroy
  • 3 Post By Frans

Thread: NZ Classic Car racing.

Default NZ Classic Car racing.

It looks like the writing is on the wall for me and many other. Some time ago NZ Motor Sport warmed us that as from April we would require fire proof underwear. All good and in due time I could save and budget for the additional $s to get hold of them. Remember that the new season starts now in September.

Then comes some other twat that bought two tracks here in NZ and says “look at me, on my tracks you will wear HANS devices as well. We have to improve on the International rules” And that is effective immediately. No time for budgeting or saving or nothing. A setback of $1200 at least.

Our series are run here as our Home track. 4 of the 7 races are held here. Immediately the first race “Icebreaker” is out. No go.

I wish I could describe my dismay here legally. If only I had a choice to sign an indemnity or time to budget.

FF Frans.

Advertisement
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Frans, honestly I would highly recommend a Hans...you can pick up a new one for under $1000 and once you get used to wearing one you will never go back.
    This is my tarmac car after a 160 KMH rollover...we both walked away without a scratch (or any issue)....the Hans did its part (as did the cage)....

NZ Classic Car racing.-spec-c-crash-2.jpg
    bowie likes this.
    1969 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    It looks like the writing is on the wall for me and many other. Some time ago NZ Motor Sport warmed us that as from April we would require fire proof underwear. All good and in due time I could save and budget for the additional $s to get hold of them. Remember that the new season starts now in September.

Then comes some other twat that bought two tracks here in NZ and says “look at me, on my tracks you will wear HANS devices as well. We have to improve on the International rules” And that is effective immediately. No time for budgeting or saving or nothing. A setback of $1200 at least.

Our series are run here as our Home track. 4 of the 7 races are held here. Immediately the first race “Icebreaker” is out. No go.

I wish I could describe my dismay here legally. If only I had a choice to sign an indemnity or time to budget.

FF Frans.
    Funny how every sport has it's "heroes"! The aforementioned twat might find his race fields are much reduced for a goodly period.
    Frans likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by nauli View Post
    Frans, honestly I would highly recommend a Hans...you can pick up a new one for under $1000 and once you get used to wearing one you will never go back.
    This is my tarmac car after a 160 KMH rollover...we both walked away without a scratch (or any issue)....the Hans did its part (as did the cage)....
    Glad you were OK but what WERE you driving? Doesn't look appropriate....

Frans, I can't comment but good luck with the outcome...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

If I could elaborate, and please, I am not looking for sympathy. Emigrating from South Africa at the age of 50, selling your life earnings and arriving in a new country with not enough money for a 10% deposit on a house. Starting a second life like newly weds where you have to again do private jobs after hours to make ends meet. This happens at a time when you are supposed to be mortgage free! When the majority of your salary can be spending money.

Theoretically I'm not supposed to race because there is no budget for it. Each and every item is home made from second hand spares. The roll cage is homemade and certified for under $220. The brakes are home made mountings with old 16TS calipers. The big box is home made from gifted 16TS gearbox. I can go on and on. Then......Crack a piston on the race car and you have to drag the process out for 7 months until you can pay the supplier $600 plus the NZ import duties. Suddenly I have to fork out NZ$1200 dollars to race. That is the HANS plus helmet plus straps. Quoted not guessed.

That on a modern track with huge run off areas in a series where we are not allowed panel damage ( although we have the odd case where the gap is to small ) This is not a rally, strewn with trees and rocks and blind corners with varying surfaces for the whole special stage Km after Km for 3 -5 days.

What I would like at least is time to prepare to get these things or an option to sign an indemnity. I am risking myself with this and nobody else and there isn't anyone standing with a gun in my back forcing me to get into that car. Even if it is one of the lowest classes of racing, it is a big fun part of my life. What feels like $2.00 for him is a disaster for me.

Frans.
    alpinesau likes this.

Yes, I completely understand...

See you in November.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Glad you were OK but what WERE you driving? Doesn't look appropriate.... .
    Please explain....???
    1969 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    If I could elaborate, and please, I am not looking for sympathy. Emigrating from South Africa at the age of 50, selling your life earnings and arriving in a new country with not enough money for a 10% deposit on a house. Starting a second life like newly weds where you have to again do private jobs after hours to make ends meet. This happens at a time when you are supposed to be mortgage free! When the majority of your salary can be spending money.

Theoretically I'm not supposed to race because there is no budget for it. Each and every item is home made from second hand spares. The roll cage is homemade and certified for under $220. The brakes are home made mountings with old 16TS calipers. The big box is home made from gifted 16TS gearbox. I can go on and on. Then......Crack a piston on the race car and you have to drag the process out for 7 months until you can pay the supplier $600 plus the NZ import duties. Suddenly I have to fork out NZ$1200 dollars to race. That is the HANS plus helmet plus straps. Quoted not guessed.

That on a modern track with huge run off areas in a series where we are not allowed panel damage ( although we have the odd case where the gap is to small ) This is not a rally, strewn with trees and rocks and blind corners with varying surfaces for the whole special stage Km after Km for 3 -5 days.

What I would like at least is time to prepare to get these things or an option to sign an indemnity. I am risking myself with this and nobody else and there isn't anyone standing with a gun in my back forcing me to get into that car. Even if it is one of the lowest classes of racing, it is a big fun part of my life. What feels like $2.00 for him is a disaster for me.

Frans.
    Absolutely understand the costs Frans....and the fact you're running on a dedicated track with good runoffs...it's great that you're out there! Purchase of a Hans is a good consideration for the future....when funds become available...keep it in mind and good luck with the racing!
    1969 Alpine A110

A death at a circuit locally would all but close it should it occur, waiver or not. The park owner is naturally concerned to be keeping up with FIA regs. But I understand the frustration in ever moving goal posts trying to get organised for an event. That is annoying.

We have guys that rent them for events out here (I think it's Stand 21), perhaps there is someone local who also does? Competitors share here too, I've seen devices shared between 4 drivers across different categories.

Lastly is there a driver training provider at the circuit? They might be a source of rental units too?

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    A death at a circuit locally would all but close it should it occur, waiver or not. The park owner is naturally concerned to be keeping up with FIA regs. But I understand the frustration in ever moving goal posts trying to get organised for an event. That is annoying.

We have guys that rent them for events out here (I think it's Stand 21), perhaps there is someone local who also does? Competitors share here too, I've seen devices shared between 4 drivers across different categories.

Lastly is there a driver training provider at the circuit? They might be a source of rental units too?
    Bowie I don't think this is the case, my neighbour and his best friend both died at the drag track next to Willowbank and nothing came of it other than tightening of the current rules. Only standard fuel allowed only road tyres not slicks and now all drivers and passangers MUST wear fire proof suits. Meanwhile every Weekend they continue to allow racing in souped up street cars, not even sure they need roll cages?

The track runoff didn't help in this situation when the accelerator pedal got stuck and the NOS was still flowing, the occupants had limited chance of a good outcome😠

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

I agree it's a bizarre regulatory framework, and sorry to hear about your neighbour.

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    I agree it's a bizarre regulatory framework, and sorry to hear about your neighbour.
    Ditto.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Your're not allowed retire yet Frans, maybe a gofundme is in order?
    JohnW and keith mcelroy like this.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I'd be in that, like a shot. Well worth it to continue our armchair pleasure.
    bowie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by keith mcelroy View Post
    Me too.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

Crowd funding or perhaps some business sponsorship?

I am of two minds over our constant new rules and regulations. Sure they add to our safety but the more laws that are made for safety the less care people take. Fencing all swimming pools in Queensland didn't reduce death by drowning of our small kids. Just meant parents were less vigilant. Some rules are great but sometimes they are just for a very small minority but we all have to suffer them. Australia is the most over governed country in the world. We have more road signs per kilometer.

I could go on and on. But won't. Sorry I have been resisiting this rant but have finally succumbed

Hans devices aren't new, they have been saving lives since the 80's.

It's ultimately a good thing that these safety standards are trickling down.

Still!

The way it was implemented in Frans case was total shit.

Hi,

I can't or won't stop racing, I'll be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but I will take my time and by the safety stuff when I can or get a used set for cheap. At the moment there won't be specials or used sets going around. In the mean time he won't get my money. I will select the races and have joined another crowd. So instead of doing his "Icebreaker" I will do the other race. The only bad part of that is that I will not be able to do the series in full and get the points.

Regards, Frans.
    JohnW, alpinesau and Sunroof like this.

Thread Information