• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Antony Davies
  • 2 Post By 59 Floride

Thread: Renault Juvaquatre BFK4 - Solex carburettor

Tadpole

Default Renault Juvaquatre BFK4 - Solex carburettor

Hi Renault people,

Friends of mine have recently bought the bright blue Renault Juva described by Shannons as a 1939 car in their late 2017 Melbourne auction. They like the shape and are keen to have a classic French car that doesn't take much space. They aren't under any illusions as to the quality of the work done previously to the car - no history was provided and we gather that, having a boot, it is a post-war BFK4 rather than 1939 as it was advertised (perhaps someone can tell us how to check the year?). I have numerous vintage cars and have had Peugeot 203s and Citroen DS Safaris, so they've asked me to help sort the car out for them to make it reliable and authentic to whatever year it is.

Obviously the paint colour is an unfortunate choice, but it was in fact pale blue originally and eventually it will be restored to that. The trim, under the covers inside, is actually quite original. The car has suffered apparently from a general refurbishment but no sorting, and then no use and poor storage for presumably many years. Consequently many important areas don't work. We have just renewed the entire braking system as everything was seized, crushed or broken. The hydraulic pipes had been squashed probably by an unsympathetic tow truck driver. Anyway that's all fixed now. None of the lights or wiring worked and much was not connected. The engine was running well however there have been ongoing issues from a filthy fuel tank and this week, after a short run, it stopped apparently from a fuel blockage at the carburettor. Today I removed the entire fuel system, though not the tank yet, and cleaned everything down removing debris and fitting a fuel filter. I stripped the carburettor down and cleaned everything very carefully but it's obvious that someone previously has done the same, using pliers and a few kitchen tools! Despite careful attention I am unable to get the carb to operate. The main jet had the screw slot broken off and was well and truly stuck however I eventually released it. I find that, even after several rethinks, the fuel pressure builds up in the inlet of the carb but it's not going anywhere. The various jets and plugs have all been out and carefully cleaned but I think it may simply be worn out.

I wondered if there are any other of these little cars out there and if someone might suggest where I could buy a suitable reconditioned or new carburettor to eliminate this annoying damaged part to improve the running. The carb fitted is a Solex 26 AIC, also marked LL4C. If not I'll order a new set of jets and gaskets, but I think another carb may be preferable!

Many thanks,

Antony Davies
    Braidwood NSW

Advertisement
    Sunroof likes this.

G'day Anthony,

Ebay France will be your best bet for random parts

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Classic-...from=R40&rt=nc

1000+ Posts

A rare car, there may be one or two about but not many. Will be great to see one on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    A rare car, there may be one or two about but not many. Will be great to see one in my garage.
    Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Davies View Post
    Hi Renault people,

Friends of mine have recently bought the bright blue Renault Juva described by Shannons as a 1939 car in their late 2017 Melbourne auction. They like the shape and are keen to have a classic French car that doesn't take much space. They aren't under any illusions as to the quality of the work done previously to the car - no history was provided and we gather that, having a boot, it is a post-war BFK4 rather than 1939 as it was advertised (perhaps someone can tell us how to check the year?). I have numerous vintage cars and have had Peugeot 203s and Citroen DS Safaris, so they've asked me to help sort the car out for them to make it reliable and authentic to whatever year it is.

Obviously the paint colour is an unfortunate choice, but it was in fact pale blue originally and eventually it will be restored to that. The trim, under the covers inside, is actually quite original. The car has suffered apparently from a general refurbishment but no sorting, and then no use and poor storage for presumably many years. Consequently many important areas don't work. We have just renewed the entire braking system as everything was seized, crushed or broken. The hydraulic pipes had been squashed probably by an unsympathetic tow truck driver. Anyway that's all fixed now. None of the lights or wiring worked and much was not connected. The engine was running well however there have been ongoing issues from a filthy fuel tank and this week, after a short run, it stopped apparently from a fuel blockage at the carburettor. Today I removed the entire fuel system, though not the tank yet, and cleaned everything down removing debris and fitting a fuel filter. I stripped the carburettor down and cleaned everything very carefully but it's obvious that someone previously has done the same, using pliers and a few kitchen tools! Despite careful attention I am unable to get the carb to operate. The main jet had the screw slot broken off and was well and truly stuck however I eventually released it. I find that, even after several rethinks, the fuel pressure builds up in the inlet of the carb but it's not going anywhere. The various jets and plugs have all been out and carefully cleaned but I think it may simply be worn out.

I wondered if there are any other of these little cars out there and if someone might suggest where I could buy a suitable reconditioned or new carburettor to eliminate this annoying damaged part to improve the running. The carb fitted is a Solex 26 AIC, also marked LL4C. If not I'll order a new set of jets and gaskets, but I think another carb may be preferable!

Many thanks,

Antony Davies
    Braidwood NSW
    Great stuff and best wishes with the project.

That carburettor looks very similar to the 22IAC fitted to the early Renault 750s sold in Australia in the late 1940s to early 1950s. I could let you have a tired but possibly useable one of them to play with if you like and still need assistance in that area. At the least, you'd see whether any bits were carried over from one to the other. Send me a PM and address etc if this would help.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    I was a bit slow on the uptake. Just noticed the amendment.

Thread Information