what do I have and what can I use? - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 4 First 1234
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: what do I have and what can I use?

Spending most the last few weeks (when i get the chance) replacing floor, bracing chassis and fabbing new gearshift mechanism.
    I know there are 40mm weber manifolds for this engine, but just wondering if there are 45mm manifolds? I ask this as i could possibly adapt the 1 3/4" SU carbs to that instead of trying to fix manifold that i have, which will never be a great result , though better than what i have now.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what do I  have and what can I  use?-20180831_165141.jpg  
    bowie likes this.

Or maybe i should just run this carb. Any ideas on jet/tube sizes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what do I  have and what can I  use?-20180911_025319.jpg  

I will have a 40 DCOE Weber (Italian & recently rebuilt) and associated manifold from the V85 engine in my A110 available for sale in the next 4 weeks or so if you're interested....would bolt straight onto your engine.
    1969 Alpine A110

That attached carb looks likes a 38/38 DGV?

That should go alright, As for calculating jet size... You have some reading (because I'm not sure). Perhaps as a starting point.

https://www.classicrallyclub.com.au/..._DVAndrews.pdf

And general gossip about the DGV's

Tech Wiki - Weber 32/36 Carburetor : Datsun 1200 Club

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

what do I  have and what can I  use?-20180911_123533.jpgHaving intermittent ignition probs at the moment making tuning impossible. Got a spare old coil will try later. Also will need a low pressure fuel reg as electric fuel pump runs at 7psi and max seems should be 3 if i recall.
    Bowie, thanks for link. I chipped away the epoxy on carb body and found the carby to be a 34 DMS. It is progressive and not synchronous and is apparently an upgrade for some fiat spiders. Running very rich in my beastie though.
    I bought some JB Weld to build up the SU manifold porting (thanks US drag tuners for that tip)and will try to shape it more favourably for entry to head ports.
    Last edited by saje; 11th September 2018 at 02:36 PM.
    bowie likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Saje Brian morrow was in Kempsey sporting car club so you may be able to contact him through them, where abouts in the blue. Mountains are you as I'm working at Lithgow and would like to have a look

Hi Peter, I'm in Winmalee.

Well it wasn't the coil. Looks like the aftermarket electronic ignition module is either playing up or goneski. Would go the cheapest way possible and put points back in but unfortunately the points cam was removed to fit magnetic trigger.

Ah, well surely someone has a dizzy floating around you can just test with?

If not, I'll have a dizzy you can borrow in a week or so.

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

Just talked to builder of the car and he says engine is bog standard, didn't fit new cam etc.
    Going back to points in dizzy. Where can i find theee in Australia?
    Mostly disappointed to miss out twice on superchargers for under $100. Gotta be quick.

Bit of a nightmare fixing ignition issues. Turns out was electronic ignition module, and side sparking spark plus. Running rich but pretty good now. Just need to strengthen harness mounts and ready to go. And missed on another supercharger.
    Sunroof and bowie like this.

I think I might have a bog stock R12GL dizzy somewhere if Bowie didn't take it. Let me know and I'll have a look. I'm in WA.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

You did send me a dizzy when you looked after me with those manifolds and zee Weber (sorry Saje).

But if you still are having any drams, I'm about to replace my dizzy with an ecu, you could have an extended loan of the dizzy if you needed

I will have a Ducellier distributor available in a week or two from my V85 engine
    1969 Alpine A110

Thanks heaps for the offers but got the dizzy running well with a little work. Running sweet now.
    bowie and nauli like this.

All ready to go-or so i thought. Turns out one front brake hose is cactus. Anyone got a renault 12 front brake hose before i order a new one?

The flexible hose from the caliper?

Sorry.

I reckon it wouldn't be that exotic, take it off and walk up into a brake place?

Yeah, but avoid any of the national franchises (you know who they are). They think metric fittings are exotic and have asked me once for 400$ to replace the hosery on my 12. Got new hoses off ebay at a fraction of the price and fitted them myself.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Metric? All my Lockheed brake fittings on the Renaults are imperial and the brake places can make up a new hose with new material to Australian standards. They have had the correct end fittings in stock every time I've needed hoses. $50 per hose last time I think, not bad when you consider Audi service places charge, I'm told, over $200 per hour.... I've given up buying hoses of indeterminate age from OS.

Maybe R12s are metric, but R8/10 are certainly not.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

COL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Metric? All my Lockheed brake fittings on the Renaults are imperial and the brake places can make up a new hose with new material to Australian standards. They have had the correct end fittings in stock every time I've needed hoses. $50 per hose last time I think, not bad when you consider Audi service places charge, I'm told, over $200 per hour.... I've given up buying hoses of indeterminate age from OS.

Maybe R12s are metric, but R8/10 are certainly not.
    R12's are imperial on all the brake fittings.

The Virage is where things changed, the wheel cylinders and calipers are imperial but the master cylinder is metric.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I don't know what the guy was on about and I didn't check because I didn't need to have new hoses made. But that's what he said. Maybe he was trying to pull my leg. For 400$ it was worth a shot.

Now considering your brakes are Lockheed, (perhaps Aussie content?) maybe that explains why they are imperial. Not sure what the brakes on my R12 were.

Overseas, I would be surprised if anything was not metric. After all the french invented the metric system.

The imperial threads were used in France on Lockheed brakes, nothing to do with local content. I was quite surprised when I discovered this a few years ago. Very surprised actually!!

My 4cv has huge connectors, used on trucks the brake place said. I can't recall the size but it was something like 11/16" and the fine threaded ones on the later 4cv/Dauphine/R8 etc also are some funny imperial thread, 3/8" or something. Early small ones used a copper washer and later ones sealed on an internal taper maybe? Again, can't recall exactly but they are all imperial.

I reckon being able to get brand new hoses made down the road is terrific. You can therefore get braided stainless hoses and improve things even more.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I don't know what the guy was on about and I didn't check because I didn't need to have new hoses made. But that's what he said. Maybe he was trying to pull my leg. For 400$ it was worth a shot.

Now considering your brakes are Lockheed, (perhaps Aussie content?) maybe that explains why they are imperial. Not sure what the brakes on my R12 were.

Overseas, I would be surprised if anything was not metric. After all the french invented the metric system.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

The french caving in to imperialism! Sacre bleu! Zet iz umpossibl!

There you go, nobody's berfect.
    jaahn likes this.

Thanks for the help. Found new ones on Ebay from the U.S. All countries used 3/8" 24 t.p.i. All up shipped here cost $41 for a pair. Nice.

Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Thread Information