Koleos
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By David Cavanagh

Thread: Koleos

  1. #1
    1000+ Posts REN TIN TIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Brisbane/Australia
    Posts
    1,901

    Default Koleos

    My Scenic is getting a bit long in the tooth although it has less then 130,000km up but it's due a timing belt and brake rotors soon (and maybe driveshafts) so rather then put the money in the old girl I'll put the dosh towards a later car.

    Advertisement


    At this stage I'm leaning towards a Koleos, probably 2.5ltr petrol, 4X2 automatic. pre-facelift from around 2010-2012. I don't really need something this big but I do have to tow around the grandkid's motorbikes on weekends. With 3 - 4 motorbikes on a trailer and passengers I think a Megane would be struggling and I've kind of gotten used to the space and versatility of the Scenic. There aren't too many cars in the class where you can fit a motorbike in the back and still carry three passengers like you can in a Scenic.

    From what I can see the petrol Koloes has the CVT transmission. There are tales of gearbox woes with the Jatco CVT, are they bad or is it all blown out of proportion. (After years of driving around in DP0 equipped car I know about gearbox issues). And other ills like sat-nav not working or able to be updated, etc.

    I can't imagine any new-ish car being real bad or the companies wouldn't be in business (wait, Jeep/Fiat amd Holden are still in business so that kills that theory). Should I run away from a Koleos and get a Hyundai
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

  2. #2
    VIP Sponsor David Cavanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Romsey, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,702

    Default

    My opinion from a wreckers point of view. Someone who makes there living selling parts.

    DO NOT BUY A KOLEOS!!!!!!

    We bought a 2015 model back in March and at the same time a Pug 3008 (basically Peugeot's version of the same Thing) The Pug has sold almost all the drive gear, not only made us our money back but given us about $4,000 profit.

    The bloody Koleos just sits there, hardly paid for itself, you walk around it and it looks like nothing has sold off it, it would still run, Luckily for us we only just sold the transmission this week so that'll make the figures look better.

    So when buying a replacement car do me a favor and buy a 3008.

    I'm actually thinking of replacing my 307 with one, well I can't sell the parts so I may as well drive one.
    neural revolt and JohnW like this.
    David Cavanagh

    FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

    03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

    34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042


    [email protected]

    https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    17,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    My Scenic is getting a bit long in the tooth although it has less then 130,000km up but it's due a timing belt and brake rotors soon (and maybe driveshafts) so rather then put the money in the old girl I'll put the dosh towards a later car.

    At this stage I'm leaning towards a Koleos, probably 2.5ltr petrol, 4X2 automatic. pre-facelift from around 2010-2012. I don't really need something this big but I do have to tow around the grandkid's motorbikes on weekends. With 3 - 4 motorbikes on a trailer and passengers I think a Megane would be struggling and I've kind of gotten used to the space and versatility of the Scenic. There aren't too many cars in the class where you can fit a motorbike in the back and still carry three passengers like you can in a Scenic.

    From what I can see the petrol Koloes has the CVT transmission. There are tales of gearbox woes with the Jatco CVT, are they bad or is it all blown out of proportion. (After years of driving around in DP0 equipped car I know about gearbox issues). And other ills like sat-nav not working or able to be updated, etc.

    I can't imagine any new-ish car being real bad or the companies wouldn't be in business (wait, Jeep/Fiat amd Holden are still in business so that kills that theory). Should I run away from a Koleos and get a Hyundai
    I think post #2 sums it up fairly neatly if tongue in cheek! If you want a car that nothing falls off or fails on for at least ten years, DO buy a Koleos!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    ….. I don't really need something this big
    The Koleos is not a very big wagon.
    Certainly looks small parked next to a new model koleos.
    The turning circle sometimes makes you feel like you are driving a massive car!!!
    I can't comment on the CVT, but the old school 6 speed auto gearbox, as fitted to my diesel is a peal.

    Jo

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    kilsyth (lower montrose) vic,
    Posts
    164

    Default

    having owned 05 scenic rx4 from new and 013 koleos 2litre turbo diesel from new and had a faultless run from both,i guess I am a little biased in recommending a koleos as replacement for your scenic,the only negative with koleos is that it is smaller inside than the scenic as jo commented.so entirely agree with kim and jo.........jim

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts REN TIN TIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Brisbane/Australia
    Posts
    1,901

    Default

    Thanks guys,

    Good to hear positive reports.
    Yes, pity Renault didn't continue with the Scenic in Australia, there's an amazing amount of room for a car it's size.
    And the rear seats that can be individually folded or removed have saved the day more than once when large objects are aboard (i.e. the kid's motorbike) plus some passengers. But I guess you all know that already, pity the Australian buying public didn't and rushed off to get their 7 seat kiddie crushers (for the 2 kids that they have).

    The Koleos is closest but not as versatile (don't think the rear seats can come out and split tailgate) and now I find not a big. But interior room is not a big issue, most of the time it's just me, or me and the two grandkids but can be two adults + 2 kids on the weekends. So as long as it's 'adequate' it will do.

    But you guys appear to be mostly with the diesels. I think I'll have to go with the petrol engine as I don't do enough driving to adequately burn-off the crud from the DPF. I hear horror stories of blocked DPF's costing 4 - 5 grand to replace because the car is only doing short trips, i.e. same as me.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! DanielBendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bendigo
    Posts
    655

    Default

    A friend of mine recently left her job with a company Tiguan and bought a used Koleos. Knew nothing about them and after purchase copped some criticism from a 'car friend'.

    Her and partner both love it. Had it getting towards a year and had no issues. Actually prefer it to the Tiguan. More responsive, easier for dogs to get in back, and more comfortable on long distances.

    I read the previous Renault CEO hadn't ruled out the new Scenic, especially in Grand form. But sadly so far, no luck.

    Such a shame we don't bet some of the spectacular models offered overseas.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using aussiefrogs mobile app

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    17,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Thanks guys,

    Good to hear positive reports.
    Yes, pity Renault didn't continue with the Scenic in Australia, there's an amazing amount of room for a car it's size.
    And the rear seats that can be individually folded or removed have saved the day more than once when large objects are aboard (i.e. the kid's motorbike) plus some passengers. But I guess you all know that already, pity the Australian buying public didn't and rushed off to get their 7 seat kiddie crushers (for the 2 kids that they have).

    The Koleos is closest but not as versatile (don't think the rear seats can come out and split tailgate) and now I find not a big. But interior room is not a big issue, most of the time it's just me, or me and the two grandkids but can be two adults + 2 kids on the weekends. So as long as it's 'adequate' it will do.

    But you guys appear to be mostly with the diesels. I think I'll have to go with the petrol engine as I don't do enough driving to adequately burn-off the crud from the DPF. I hear horror stories of blocked DPF's costing 4 - 5 grand to replace because the car is only doing short trips, i.e. same as me.
    DPF filters on the Koleos and Xtrail are generally not an issue. In ten years involving driving in Melbourne peak hour traffic five days a week, I've only had to burn up the highway and back for less than 100 km round trip at 100 km/h on four occasions in all that time to complete a re-gen. Cost? About 8.3 litres of diesel fuel. And once you get your Koleos, you'll start finding excuses to drive it further anyway!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Blaxlands Flat NSW
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Hey David, do you have the mirror switch from the drivers door, mine has been damaged. I have a Reno Koleos 2014 mod. If you do give me a price and postage to Grafton NSW 2460. I have bought parts from you over the years. Cheers [email protected]

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts REN TIN TIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Brisbane/Australia
    Posts
    1,901

    Default

    Well I now own a Koleos. Ended up with a 2.5ltr 4X4 Auto.
    Seems that anything that's a kiddie-crusher is selling at a premium price these days, not just the Koleos but all car brands.
    For the same money I could have a Latitude or Megane that have less mileage and are a lot younger.

    I got a 4X4 as I will be doing some towing (motorbikes) and while the 4X2 would probably do the job the 4X4 should do it better.
    The asking price for a 4X4 doesn't appear to be much different from the 4X2 anyway.
    Would have preferred a diesel but there aren't many on offer, only saw 2 offered in the last 2 - 3 months in SEQ.
    There are a couple of things I don't like about this particular example, the colour, (marron cuivre) & the sunroof, but there aren't a lot on offer and this one was a reasonable price in my opinion.The negatives I can live with.
    But it should be okay as I only plan to keep it for a few years and then revert to a car again instead of driving a truck.


    First impressions;
    It's big, barely fits through my front gate and is way taller, longer, and wider then the scenic.
    It's a very smooth cruiser. Pulling less than 2000RPM at 100k/hr on the highway and quiet apart from tyre noise.
    Desperately needs a reversing camera. It's a phase 1 so no camera although it has proximity sensors. Don't know how people drive these kiddie-crushers without reversing cameras.
    Petrol gauge is bordering on useless. It varies by about 1/4 tank depending on the terrain.

    Now, I need to move the Scenic. Anyone want to buy a much-loved Scenic JA?

    Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    vic
    Posts
    818

    Default

    RTT

    Give it a few months.
    Get rid of the crap tyres (if there are any on the car) and you'll be whizzing through the corners approaching speeds the Scenic does.

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    17,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Well I now own a Koleos. Ended up with a 2.5ltr 4X4 Auto.
    Seems that anything that's a kiddie-crusher is selling at a premium price these days, not just the Koleos but all car brands.
    For the same money I could have a Latitude or Megane that have less mileage and are a lot younger.

    I got a 4X4 as I will be doing some towing (motorbikes) and while the 4X2 would probably do the job the 4X4 should do it better.
    The asking price for a 4X4 doesn't appear to be much different from the 4X2 anyway.
    Would have preferred a diesel but there aren't many on offer, only saw 2 offered in the last 2 - 3 months in SEQ.
    There are a couple of things I don't like about this particular example, the colour, (marron cuivre) & the sunroof, but there aren't a lot on offer and this one was a reasonable price in my opinion.The negatives I can live with.
    But it should be okay as I only plan to keep it for a few years and then revert to a car again instead of driving a truck.


    First impressions;
    It's big, barely fits through my front gate and is way taller, longer, and wider then the scenic.
    It's a very smooth cruiser. Pulling less than 2000RPM at 100k/hr on the highway and quiet apart from tyre noise.
    Desperately needs a reversing camera. It's a phase 1 so no camera although it has proximity sensors. Don't know how people drive these kiddie-crushers without reversing cameras.
    Petrol gauge is bordering on useless. It varies by about 1/4 tank depending on the terrain.

    Now, I need to move the Scenic. Anyone want to buy a much-loved Scenic JA?

    Cheers
    RTT
    Welcome to the Club! Fancy you driving a Kiddie Crusher! To avoid crushing kiddies, here are some helpful tips:

    1/. Be extra alert when operating in known child infested areas.
    2/. The driver's seat is adjustable height-wise. A higher seating position gives you improved outside vision.
    3/. The little reflective thingies on each side of your car are called "mirrors". Use them constantly.
    4/. If you aren't sure what's behind your car, get out and look!
    5/. Don't call your vehicle a Kiddie Crusher. It's not funny! It might have legal ramifications if you're unfortunate enough to crush one.

    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •