'Barn find', lucky dip, take a chance - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 'Barn find', lucky dip, take a chance

1000+ Posts

I went and helped a Renault enthusiast clean up his workshop yesterday. Unfortunately he has to down size. What a sad moment for him. So much stuff to be given away and so much that someone will want some day going to the metal recyclers. As a hoarder who has moved and gone through similar pain I feel for him. There is now so much stuff that I used to have I either dumped or gave away, that I now want. Today I now have three extra gearboxes, some other bits an pieces I might want. And a big heap of heavy steel that if I cannot use, some one will one day. Two shipping containers and a 21 by 9 metre shed helps me. My Mrs says that when I die it will all go in big skip bins and be dumped. If I am dead I won't know and in the mean time I can use or give away bits to keep me and others happy. Mind you I have a lot of old Renaults to either restore or keep running. But time is the killer.

Advertisement
    JohnW, Shoji and Kenfuego like this.

Sunroof, I am a complete dilettante by your measure!

Back in the days of our 16TS I had 13 spare doors for it, as our garage seemed to become the Perth black hole for 16 parts. I fear the new owner, who took all the stuff as well as the car, just dumped most of it. But sometimes ignorance is bliss. I too have three spare gearboxes for the 4cv though, and two for the R8.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Hi Keith.
    If I remember correctly last year you had a 16 with a very friendly tree growing in its rear bumper. Do you plan to dispose of any 16 stuff? I'm in Ballarat, interested and have a chainsaw.

David.

You remember correctly. The errant tree has been removed but I do have a couple of very low mileage 16ts that I would perhaps part with and a very rusty one beyond restoration. I am currently in Adelaide on family matters but contact me at the end of next week to arrange a visit.
    jaahn likes this.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by keith mcelroy View Post
    You remember correctly. The errant tree has been removed but I do have a couple of very low mileage 16ts that I would perhaps part with and a very rusty one beyond restoration. I am currently in Adelaide on family matters but contact me at the end of next week to arrange a visit.
    Thanks Keith - will be in touch.
    David.

hey Sunroof - a man can never have too many Renault 17s - you need a hand with a little drive with the trailer, let me know !

BP

Grantee (David) a pm sent

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boleropilot View Post
    hey Sunroof - a man can never have too many Renault 17s - you need a hand with a little drive with the trailer, let me know !

BP
    Yeh and you're going to face the Mrs on my behalf.
    Last edited by Sunroof; 10th August 2018 at 09:27 PM.
    jaahn and boleropilot like this.

Tadpole

Hi Keith,

I'm also interested in looking at the 16s after Grantee if possible? I'm in Melbourne and have sent you a PM.

Cheers.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mmillsom View Post
    Hi Keith,

I'm also interested in looking at the 16s after Grantee if possible? I'm in Melbourne and have sent you a PM.

Cheers.
    Matt
    Hi Matt,
    Your PM did not arrive here, but I will send you one.
    Thanks Keith

Default Puzzled by the outcome ...

I started this thread in attempt to find a new home for one 17TL sitting long term in the back of my old shed.

No one wants it. Correction, the tyranny of 3,357.7 Km defeated the one interested party.

However, the thread has directly lead to the sale of 3 x 16TS. With a queue of several people in reserve. This is great (according to my beloved) and may be the psychological circuit breaker for me.

Unfortunately, this has created zero new shed space as these were all outdoor dwellers.

I am puzzled that this happened. Are 17s so much less desirable than 16s? Is "patina" so much more desirable than in shed cossetting? Has 'American Pickers' made rust cool?

This thread and a couple of visits also resulted in unsolicited offers to buy my last (in shed) 16TS and a Volvo 1800E, both of which I had not begun to consider selling, but who knows...

I have about a week left before I must lock the shed, disappear overseas for a bit and worry about it all later.
    Thanks to all the participants in this little adventure of mine into the unknown realm of actually parting with a car or three.
    Cheers, Keith
    Shoji, Sunroof and CXVingtCinq like this.

Wait the 17 is still there! :S

It's nearly worth moving back to Melbourne for. Come on Melbourne peeps.

But ring autoparis, he's been collecting 17's of late.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information