• Help
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By dimistyle
  • 2 Post By COL
  • 4 Post By Kim Luck

Thread: 2009 Kangoo with DP0 woes

Tadpole

Default 2009 Kangoo with DP0 woes

Surprisingly throughout my searches for info regarding these vans, this forum never came up in my searches. I picked up a 2009 Kangoo auto with 78,000Km on the clock for $4500. Good price, suited my needs, just needed to remove the smell (ex sushi restaurant van). So I got the rego done, replaced the front rotors and pads and it was running great. Then at 81,000Km it started doing the thunk when cold and going into limp mode.

Worse still, the alternator went on it not long after and that was a $1200 repair. 😓

Thankfully I found many tutorials on replacement of the solenoids on the DP0/AL4 boxes, however Iíve also read about some models needing the computer flashed to work properly with updated or replaced solenoids. Anyone know if this is the case in these? Also, where would be a good place to source them? Iím in South West Sydney and my mechanic balked when I told him about the gear box issues and wouldnít even touch it. Figured Iíll just do it myself.

Advertisement

Mate a 2009 will have the black top solenoids already so will be using the latest SW upgrade.
    Replace the solenoids and fluid and you should be up and running again.
    Just make sure you follow the fluid refill process.
    A shame the alternator replacement was so expensive😯

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app
    jaahn likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hi Version_6
    I sent you a PM as well as this reply.
    The solonoids are available on Ebay. Your choice where you buy them and your hurry. But they are all the same and may be in parts bags from Renault, Fiat, Citroen, Peugeot and possible some other makes . The part number 257416 is the Citroen/Peugeot part number, sometimes written 2574 16 or 0000257416. Renault has their own number of course 8200337880.

If you do the job be careful what youtube video you follow. There is a lot of crap on there by people who may or may not know what they are doing. Do not dismantle the valve body or do more than necessary IMHO. Less chance of stuffing it up. Have you done a couple of oil changes yet. NOTE you must do the level check correctly with the engine running or you will have to do it again !!
    Search the forum in the box up above. Plenty of information on oil and changing it etc.
    You should have a small 1/4" torque wrench to tighten the screws correctly. I have found they were often very unevenly tightened when I did some and that may cause problems itself.
    As said yours is late model and would have the later software. No problem even if it does not, IMHO, works OK.
    Jaahn
    Do not go near that person who stung you for $1200 to fix an alternator. Any auto electrician should have fixed it for much much less. Nothing special in that alternator.

Tadpole

Thanks for the speedy reply folks.

Yeah, the alternator was a painful repair. Apparently because of the location of it, the ac needed to be degassed and such and the part was $700 or so. As an electronic engineernit hurts me that a simple generator could cost that much.

Iíve searched around and found the guides on here to do the oil so hopefully I donít screw it up. Heading down to Repco next week to grab some as Iím not in a huge rush to do it. Iíve been rarely using the van recently as the business changed some clients and itís not as pertinent to my needs.

I was hesitant to order the solenoids on eBay just in case the wrong one was sent or I ended up with counterfeits. I deal with it all the time with electronic components that customers try installing themselves and blowing up their gear.

I fixed the dud alternator on the Megane cabrio with a new diode pack from an Astra alternator. Cost: $70 bucks and a bit of swearing.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I fixed the dud alternator on the Megane cabrio with a new diode pack from an Astra alternator. Cost: $70 bucks and a bit of swearing.....
    How well did the swear jar do Kim?
    JohnW and Kenfuego like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I didn't even need to take the alternator off the car, but the number of times I dropped the nut for the output wire connector certainly added a shilling or two to the account......
    COL, vivid, Kenfuego and 1 others like this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Tadpole

Apparently the alternator looked brand new. Just spontaneously failed.

Worst part is that a week after I got it back someone tried to overtake me illegally and merged into the drivers front fender. Still waiting on getting the insurance companies to sort everything.

Iíve ordered up the solenoids and some oil, so when they arrive Iíll share my experiences of getting it done.

Also, does anyone know if the sun visors are the same for the first gen models? Iím missing the drivers side one and canít seem to track one down as I miss out on them every time.

Yours being a 2009 should be what we got as a first generation. Although with a few subtle updates. Sunvissor should be the same. Our delivery van is a 2009 one, also auto (even against our best wishes). Done nearly 270 kms now. It's always clunks through the gears but always changes and keeps going. Very good little van. I've been meaning to change the gearbox oil for about 30,000 kms now and haven't had a chance! My only complaint is the stereo system is rubbish! The 4 inch dash speaker deliver absolutely no bass! I fitted a kenwood bluetooth head unit. A pair of alpine 4 inch dash speakers and a 10 inch slimline subwoofer under the drivers seat! With 2, 2 channel amps under the passengers seat running it all! Now sounds amazing and you can't see any of it!

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Tadpole

Yeah itís a MY07, just before the facelift. So F76 I think. Not entirely sure.

Yeah, the stereo was horrid. I replaced mine with a Pioneer MVH-S305BT and used an Aerpro adapter to keep the steering wheel controls. Havenít replaced the speakers yet as I was contemplating modifying the plastic to fit some 5 inch ones. I know Iíll be installing a low pro sub as well, but first thingís first is the solenoids.

Itís pretty undrivable in its present state because the hard drop to 3rd isnít ideal when youíre in an area where all the streets are 70-80 Km/H between home and work.

Thread Information