11th hour R12 virage wagon RHR lense request - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 11th hour R12 virage wagon RHR lense request

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    The starter motor issue would be the starter shorting out to the left chassis rail as they run pretty close when installed into an R12. The starter will be a Paris Rhone of some description.
    That's interesting. I thought they were using Bosch by then, a bit bigger and less convenient. Maybe it was only a replacement option.

Advertisement
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroėn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

COL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That's interesting. I thought they were using Bosch by then, a bit bigger and less convenient. Maybe it was only a replacement option.
    The very early R12's used a Bosch starter motor. I think the R18 was a total import so would be full of French electrics.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Agreed re the R18. Haven't seen one of them for a long while.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroėn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Interesting!

Well this is a 1976, however I am doubt it's the original motor.
    To my eyes, the starter looked pretty skinny compared to other starters.

After the engine fell out, I lost the starter from the ignition switch, so ran a cable from +ve to the solenoid, and it initially turned over, but quickly started to labor. I thought at first it was compression, but the (new) battery was at full charge.

I sent out a tweet to RACT saying I was stranded in VIC without much option, and that if I arranged a trailer to pick up the car from Devonport, and RACT covered the freight, it would be a much less costly exercise.

I got a call from a senior 'logistics consultant' who advised, if I can get the car freighted for less than $1400 (the cost to tow it to Hobart) and took responsibility for the TAS leg, he'd reimburse me.

Apparently the reason they won't get involved in the ferry, is that accidents happen, and the risk is too high.
    So I'm doing a bit of calling around about backloads.

He did suggest throwing a few hundred bucks at it to get it on and off the boat (to drive) but being that I'd have to fly back, book a boat and still a good chance of breaking down in TAS, he seemed to favor the freight option, and me taking responsibility for the tow.

I think that is pretty reasonable! I have a contact from a friend to a furniture transport company in Devonport that regularly does backloads. Time isn't really an issue except the car will need somewhere to park it in the meantime.

So have a bit of calling around.. it's still an option for me to just fix it and drive it, but the time it will take cost me money I can't be working, plus the airfares, boat etc.. Much less money out of my pocket at the end of the day just trailering it down. $150-$200 in fuel, $80 for the trailer for 24 hours.

I've already spent $350 in forfeited Ferry fares, and $100 in 2 permits.

For RACT to handle the car (tow to the ferry) it will need to have a permit on it also.

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Given you have a R18 box, I am not sure I understand what 'box mounts you have. Did you change to the 395 mounts or did you mickeymouse the original 12 bracket and used the 352 mounts?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Given you have a R18 box, I am not sure I understand what 'box mounts you have. Did you change to the 395 mounts or did you mickeymouse the original 12 bracket and used the 352 mounts?

I didn't do the work, David C did I believe.

Just for interest I'll take some photos tomorrow, the car is at the local mechanics where they assessed it was a major failure.

The mount that failed was on the left, under the cross member / steering rack.. and not at the rear of the box.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by vivid View Post

I didn't do the work, David C did I believe.

Just for interest I'll take some photos tomorrow, the car is at the local mechanics where they assessed it was a major failure.

The mount that failed was on the left, under the cross member / steering rack.. and not at the rear of the box.
    It has the Renault R18 mounts fitted by the sounds of it. These come off the side of the gearbox.
    vivid likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

OK, now I get ya..

I don't have much experience with R12s, but yes the mounts are off the side of the box, not the rear.
    And so I also assume that both went together, or one was already gone or marginal to begin with.

I drove that car into storage about 10 years ago, so its no wonder rubbers have gone off.

David.

David.

The 18 mounts wouldn't fit in a 12 chassis because the 18 chassis is much wider. Serious surgery needed.

The 12G/17G/TS used a completely different system of mounts (again, more complexity) but I guess it could be found around when some unlucky 17TS/G was scrapped. Downside is it uses rubbers which are bespoke, you can't just throw in some R12 buffers. If that is the case and you have 17G mounts, you're stuffed. They come from overseas and are expensive.

The easy way out is to mickeymouse a R12 bracket and use R12 mounts hence my question above.

I guess it pays to know what has been done to the car even if you are not working on it yourself at the very least so you know what you need and have more than one person you can talk to when you need something.
    vivid likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

But still, any exhaust shop should be able to weld and cut a tube at an agreeable length to make a mount surely.

This poor wagon. It just wants to go home
    JohnW likes this.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

I actually had a sleeve made up at 'Performance Exhausts' in Bayswater (lovely owners) who made me one up in an hour after cursing the metric downpipe measurements I gave him. That and some muffler putty, and 2 clamps for $15.

But as mentioned before, the moment I do any work on the car RACT will close the 'breakdown' job.

That said, its still very tempting to get the car running to drive on and off the boat.
    That WAS the original plan.

I booked a flight back to TAS on the 24th with the family.

The other issue at the moment is that there is only 1 Spirit of Tas ferry running, the other is in dry dock for repairs... so prices are high and booking ahead a month or so is needed.

So I've "missed the boat" so to speak (twice) and would need to come back to recover it.

I have 2 more cars to recover later in the year, a Fuego and my 1969 R16 that is now missing all its windows.

It was going to be the path of least resistance, I chose the R12 over the Fuego for simplicity's sake, forgetting it's an R12 frankenstein.