Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fordman
  • 1 Post By Fordman
  • 1 Post By Boydie

Thread: Renault Scenic 2002 heater fan not working

Default Renault Scenic 2002 heater fan not working

Anyone point me in the right direction- where to look, probable fault etc

Advertisement

There's an electronic control module that fails. Certainly we've replaced two of them in Series II Scenics. It lives in behind the instrument cluster somewhere and is accessible through the gap left by pulling the cluster out. I confess to just paying to have it fixed.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Edited copy of a comment I made to John W when he originally had the problem about June 2015:

"Our series I Scenic had vent/heater fan failure, caused by water entry from left hand side plenum chamber (under the wipers). There is a drain at each side which blocks with dust/water/mud and water overflows into heater fan which has no drain hole. I remember others have had this, not uncommon.
    In my case, the whole brush/commutator end of the fan motor was submerged in water.
    It wasn't the module.
    I was able to repair mine after a bit of trouble removing the fan without dismantling the dash, and if it is a series I I know the secret to removing it, and I have many photos of my repair which may be of assistance."

It is still running ok, with a bit of a squeak when starting up from cold, like it needs a bit of lubrication.

Just something else that can happen.

Cheers.
    JohnW likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Thanks for the advise, this is a 2002 model, I reckon it's the motor gone swimming, any photos available on how to remove the fan with a dash disassembly?

See how we go - hope this helps:

00 - LH side of dash - remove cover and nut - pull dash out about 35mm as shown in next pic.
    Renault Scenic 2002 heater fan not working-00_removal.jpg
    01 - I struggled for hours to remove fan assembly, just couldn't do it, until I cut off the end of this body bracket, which does nothing, and it allows the assembly to be removed without disturbing anything else. I tried with a small hacksaw, difficult location, gave up and bought a small reciprocating saw, and it was a 5 minute job.
    Renault Scenic 2002 heater fan not working-01_cut-bracket.jpg
    02 - I bought an air operated saw, but I think you can also get electric ones.
    Renault Scenic 2002 heater fan not working-02_recip-saw.jpg
    03 - After cutting the bracket - looking up to the bottom of the fan assy - disconnect the wiring plug - remove 3 screws right up the top, need a 10mm socket on a long extension. I drilled the drain hole while it was out, so this photo was after I re-assembled.
    Renault Scenic 2002 heater fan not working-03_after-cut.jpg
    04 - Remove this insulation first, looks like one of the top screws needs to be removed, or was there another screw? I think I cut the hole in the centre to allow drainage.
    Renault Scenic 2002 heater fan not working-04_insulation.jpg
    05 - After removing assembly, fan motor is removed from housing by prodding into the 3 side holes, and levering the rubber mounts out bit by bit. Note the 3 rubber mouldings around the motor just slide into the housing, but the tip locks in when fully inserted. No screws hold it together.
    Renault Scenic 2002 heater fan not working-05_removal.jpg
    06 - Fan motor now removed from housing - note 3 'V' slots in housing - note the orientation of the motor wiring during disassembly.
    Renault Scenic 2002 heater fan not working-06_separated.jpg
    07 - plenty of corrosion - this has been fully submerged - wonder it still works.
    Renault Scenic 2002 heater fan not working-07_corrosion.jpg

I think I just cleaned it up as best I could, and got some oil into the end bearings. Can't remember if I was able to remove and clean the brushes.

08 - Re-assembly by pressing the mounts all the way in until they clip into the housing.
    Renault Scenic 2002 heater fan not working-08_reassembly.jpg
    09 - No photo
    10 - Plenum - with wipers and grill/cover removed. Flapper valves at sides were stuck up with gunge (just dust and water set hard). The water must build up quite a bit to flood into the fan inlet.
    Renault Scenic 2002 heater fan not working-10_plenum.jpg
    11 - Flapper valve shown.
    Renault Scenic 2002 heater fan not working-11_flapper.jpg

Cheers.

Edit: Possibly to eliminate the module, disconnect plug and apply 12v power to the red&black wires directly to the fan motor, seen in these photos. If motor works, then the module may be at fault if it can't turn the motor on by itself.
    Last edited by Fordman; 9th July 2018 at 01:40 AM.
    JohnW likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Thanks for that, attacked it before I got your message! Worked out the path of least destruction, motor water logged/seized/buggered. Hopefully the module has survived. Cheers.
    Fordman likes this.

Thread Information