R8/R10 Steering wheel Lock removal.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By COL
  • 2 Post By R8philSA
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By renault8&10

Thread: R8/R10 Steering wheel Lock removal.

Default R8/R10 Steering wheel Lock removal.

Hi Fellow R8/R10 enthusiasts.

Advertisement

I have an old R10 steering column assembly and am trying to remove the key lock from the metal holding piece.
    I removed the 6mm bolt from the bottom of the assembly and turned the key to the unlock position and for the next half an hour tried many and varied ways to get that locking assembly out. I did get it to move out 5mm then it stops! I found a tiny hole in the holder and pressed a very small dill bit into the hole and still it beats me on how to get it out of the holder.

So is there any one out there that can give me a clue on the removal of the ignition/lock assembly from the holder please.

Many thanks
    Cheers
    Phil

COL

Hi Phil

Not sure about the R10 steering locks, but the R12 steering locks you need to put the lock in the garage position, remove that little bolt and push that pin in and the lock will come out.
    Shoji likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Pretty sure it’s the same as COL mentions.
    KB

Opps!!

Just found out there are two little holding 6mm bolts and on some models there is an extra lock tab. So tomorrow I'll try and see what happens.

Thanks anyway guys
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Hi Fellow R8/R10 enthusiasts.

I have an old R10 steering column assembly and am trying to remove the key lock from the metal holding piece.
    I removed the 6mm bolt from the bottom of the assembly and turned the key to the unlock position and for the next half an hour tried many and varied ways to get that locking assembly out. I did get it to move out 5mm then it stops! I found a tiny hole in the holder and pressed a very small dill bit into the hole and still it beats me on how to get it out of the holder.

So is there any one out there that can give me a clue on the removal of the ignition/lock assembly from the holder please.

Many thanks
    Cheers
    Phil
    JohnW and J-man like this.

1000+ Posts

I recently had to change the lock in my R10 it stopped working and was jambed in the locked position. Unfortunately a piece inside had broken off and was preventing any removal. In the end I had to use my die grinder and totally rip the guts out of it before I could remove it at all. Bought a new one on ebay at a reasonable price. R8 and R10 locks are different and not interchangeable. By the way it is as Col says.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I recently had to change the lock in my R10 it stopped working and was jambed in the locked position. Unfortunately a piece inside had broken off and was preventing any removal. In the end I had to use my die grinder and totally rip the guts out of it before I could remove it at all. Bought a new one on ebay at a reasonable price. R8 and R10 locks are different and not interchangeable. By the way it is as Col says.
    That's interesting - I didn't know they weren't the same. Do you remember Alain's Caravelle key problem for the Daisy Tour? I put a new one in the R8 about 10 years ago when the starting return spring died inside it and happily it came out easily. I have a brand new one for the 1950 4cv in its box, just in case. Good things, cupboards....
    jaahn likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

hi Phil. all as col said. that little hole you put drill into has spring loaded pin in it, will only depress if key in certain position, can't remember if garage or on pod but if you turn key while pushing pin it should depress and lock should pull out.... just a thought.... jim

JohnW,

We'd better see a pic of this cupboard of yours. It sounds like the Tardis.
    JohnW likes this.
    KB

Find a suburb with a high car theft rate, anyone there to be able to show you how.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Find a suburb with a high car theft rate, anyone there to be able to show you how.
    Yes but he wants to able to put it back together again without having to rebuild half the car
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    JohnW, We'd better see a pic of this cupboard of yours. It sounds like the Tardis.
    More I think it is many years of selective purchasing of things that either "would never be seen again" (fairly good excuse I thought at the time) or "heavens, can I actually BUY one of them?" than a Tardis. But I do have a few boxes and shelves and drawers and a cupboard...

I gave ALL my 1060/early 1062 drum brake parts to Bob Gray when I fitted the spider wheel Dauphine brakes to the 4CV, almost a boxful of stuff out of the place. So, I'm really trying to give away things I know I can't use, so don't need, to those who can or will use them.

I'll see if I can photograph a couple of stashes for your amusement.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information