• 2 Post By Sunroof
  • 1 Post By Melc
  • 1 Post By Melc
  • 1 Post By CXVingtCinq
  • 1 Post By schlitzaugen
  • 1 Post By 1972Ren

Thread: R16 TS Questions

Default R16 TS Questions

Hello all you knowledgeable Francophiles.

I have a couple of questions about issues I have come up against trying to get Kermit roadworthy and a bit more presentable.

Advertisement

Q1. The passenger side bonnet hinge was off the axle / pin under the skuttle panel just in front of the windscreen and I couldn't jiggle it back on. The heater tap under the dash was stuck about half way on also, so the skuttle panel had to come off to access both of these. This was easy enough after taking the bonnet off and following the manual. I'll get to the heater tap later but the the first question regards the hinge and comes with some photos below. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to install a new pin / axle to hinge the bonnet onto.? The original one seems to have sheered or rusted off. The rust issue is strange as there is virtually no rust anywhere on the car having spent 99% of its life in Inverell.
    R16 TS Questions-img_1975.jpg R16 TS Questions-img_1976.jpg R16 TS Questions-img_1978.jpg R16 TS Questions-img_1979.jpg
    The actual hinge is quite smooth where the hole should be but it seems to be rusted or welded together as if there was never a hole in the hinge arm.? The other side looks like this with the pin stationary and the hinge swiveling on the pin as it should.
    R16 TS Questions-img_1980.jpg
    Any suggestions gladly accepted.. From left field even...

Q2 is about the cooling system. I have a split radiator hose which fortunately I noticed as soon as it went so I am looking for a replacement hose. I have a lead with an AF member as the Aussie hoses don't match the ones available on Gert's 16 Shop. It is the top hose on the right hand side looking into the engine bay from the front of the car. See Pics below. It has gone right at the water pump / thermostat connection and I was wondering if I should put a new thermostat in while I have it off.? Is this easy to do.? The current one seems to work OK but do they have a limited life span.?
    R16 TS Questions-img_1972.jpg R16 TS Questions-img_1973.jpg

The heater tap will be a job for another day but to make it bearable to drive I have put in a brass ball tap in the heater line just behind the brake booster as a work around.
    R16 TS Questions-img_1977.jpg

Thanks in advance for all / any suggestions..
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current -
    1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Renault anticipated the bonnet hinge pin shearing in NT 673 from 1975 (see attached) so for it to last 40 years isn't too bad :-)

As for a fix, in lieu of migging a new pin in place, how about a rivnut and a suitable stud? then use a sleeve in the inside of the hinge bracket to fit over the stud (the hinge bracket and sleeve secured to the stud with a nut). As long as the rivnut has a suitable grip, it should work.

As for the hose, I've got one RHS, but none LHS. I'm thinking a suitable generic hose linked with a sleeve to the existing hose for the moment - if nothing comes available quickly. If the thermostat is working fine, and it is clean, there is probably no reason to replace it. But it wouldn't do any harm to change with new. Also note the Aussie spec 16 was fitted with a 73 degree 'stat in lieu of the Euro spec 84 degree thermostat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R16 TS Questions-dsc09385.jpg   R16 TS Questions-dsc09384.jpg  
    jaahn, CXVingtCinq and Kenfuego like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Ah, ha.! Thanks very much Simon. At least that explains the cause a little. I just googled "rivnut" and think i see what you mean. Although this sort of work is a little above my skill set. I assume any reasonable engineering works would be able to help out. Suggestion much appreciated. I'll talk to local engineer. Thanks.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current -
    1976 16TS

I best oil up the other side while I am at it, although it appears very clean and moves smoothly.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current -
    1976 16TS

1000+ Posts

Go to an old fashioned car parts shop. Some Repco shops might also help, and ask to go through there collection of hoses to get one to match the curves, then buy a piece of stainless tube to join them together with hose clamps. I have done this several times with my 12 G replica and 17TS. They work fine. When you get the hose write down what cars they are off and keep for future reference or reference of others on here. Melc on here, if he sees this, may have already done this on his 16's. Not sure where you get stainless tube but Google will know. I was lucky as a mate gave me some once it was just the right size. We did this once on a rally and found an early Suzuki??? (I think) top hose was same as that on an early 4CV.
    CXVingtCinq and JohnW like this.

Sunny is right. that is an easy way. You get the ss in all sizes, with awesome clamps, from exhaust shops. The bulge for the thermo is a problem. Franzose has the right gear to my knowledge, 2 hoses for 100 euro delivered or there abouts. Theoretically, one could get an exhaust shop to fashion what you want and add rubber bits to join and meet the ends. I was going to do this, and the franzose ones came along, saved. If the thermo looks good and passes the boil test, use it.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    4's 16's and Caravelle

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by CXVingtCinq View Post
    Hello all you knowledgeable Francophiles.

I have a couple of questions about issues I have come up against trying to get Kermit roadworthy and a bit more presentable.

Q1. The passenger side bonnet hinge was off the axle / pin under the skuttle panel just in front of the windscreen and I couldn't jiggle it back on. The heater tap under the dash was stuck about half way on also, so the skuttle panel had to come off to access both of these. This was easy enough after taking the bonnet off and following the manual. I'll get to the heater tap later but the the first question regards the hinge and comes with some photos below. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to install a new pin / axle to hinge the bonnet onto.? The original one seems to have sheered or rusted off. The rust issue is strange as there is virtually no rust anywhere on the car having spent 99% of its life in Inverell.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1975.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	106411 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1976.jpg 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	106412 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1978.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	106413 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1979.jpg 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	106414
    The actual hinge is quite smooth where the hole should be but it seems to be rusted or welded together as if there was never a hole in the hinge arm.? The other side looks like this with the pin stationary and the hinge swiveling on the pin as it should.

Name:	IMG_1980.JPG 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	106415
    Any suggestions gladly accepted.. From left field even...

Q2 is about the cooling system. I have a split radiator hose which fortunately I noticed as soon as it went so I am looking for a replacement hose. I have a lead with an AF member as the Aussie hoses don't match the ones available on Gert's 16 Shop. It is the top hose on the right hand side looking into the engine bay from the front of the car. See Pics below. It has gone right at the water pump / thermostat connection and I was wondering if I should put a new thermostat in while I have it off.? Is this easy to do.? The current one seems to work OK but do they have a limited life span.?

Name:	IMG_1972.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	106416 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1973.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	106417

The heater tap will be a job for another day but to make it bearable to drive I have put in a brass ball tap in the heater line just behind the brake booster as a work around.

Name:	IMG_1977.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	106418

Thanks in advance for all / any suggestions..
    I have a number of good s/hand ones. I can let you have one for the cost of postage if that will get you out of trouble.

Don
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    If the thermostat is working fine, and it is clean, there is probably no reason to replace it. But it wouldn't do any harm to change with new. Also note the Aussie spec 16 was fitted with a 73 degree 'stat in lieu of the Euro spec 84 degree thermostat.
    So if I need a new thermostat is the Euro spec 84 deg a no go area.? Too hot for our climate.? Would it not just delay opening of the flow until the engine is that bit hotter.? What are the consequences of fitting a Euro model.? The new units on the R16 Shop web site do not specify, but I assume they are the Euro model.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current -
    1976 16TS

A search of the InterWeb gives Gates Australia as a major supplier but their unit specified for R16TS (1151) is model # TH01483 which has an opening temp of 83 degrees.

See - Product |

This model is also available on FleaBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gates-Therm...MAAOSwN2VbGEbU But also says 83 degrees.

Both of these sites are supposed to be Australian based. I would have thought the Australian model would be the one available here.?
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current -
    1976 16TS

COL

An 83 Deg thermostat will be fine.

Just out of interest what is stamped on the thermostat that is presently in the car?
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    An 83 Deg thermostat will be fine.

Just out of interest what is stamped on the thermostat that is presently in the car?
    Don't know yet Col. I haven't taken it out. Wasn't going to touch it until I get the replacement hoses from Don in Adelaide.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current -
    1976 16TS

Ages ago I bought a box of R4 stuff that included a few 83deg thermos and have tried one in an R4 in a queensland summer. It did just what you would expect, It ran like a chili pepper, scared me and I put in a 73.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    4's 16's and Caravelle

Yep. I'd rather the correct temp unit as it gets pretty hot here in summer. Just can't seem to find one.

At this stage I'm hoping the existing one still looks good. It was working OK before the hose blew so I plan to stick it back in.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current -
    1976 16TS

The last ones I bought was from Ken Bailey
    4's 16's and Caravelle

All good. I have found them on Franzose web site.
    JohnW likes this.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current -
    1976 16TS

I would advise against the rivnut solution for the bonnet hinge. They never have enough grip. I would have a little pin with some thread on one end and a shoulder turned by your local friendly engineer shop and bolt that to the chassis. I would also be tempted to weld a short length of tube to the moving arm while you have it out to give more area for the shear stress to take. To secure the end, you have a choice of using a hole across the end of the pin and a cotter pin or a groove and a c-clip, whatever takes your fancy. Just decide before you get the pin machined so it can all be accounted for. I would leave some room for a washer to go between the c-clip/cotter pin and the arm, you know, just for a better look/quality whichever way you want to take it.

Perhaps an even better solution would be to go out and buy a shoulder bolt, which come in suitably high grades and chop the head off it. The only difficulty would be to drill it for the cotter pin or groove it for a c-clip. I like these very much because they are machined and have a very nicely precision ground shank.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 10th June 2018 at 10:38 PM.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    Regarding the radiator hose, I have used flexible radiator hose, purchased from Ebay, recently.
    They come in various lengths and diameters, and are of ribbed construction so they really do flex into quite small radius bends, as required.

Regards,
    Andy
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

Right.! I have obtained radiator hoses from Don in Adelaide and will attack that job this weekend. Pics to follow.

In the interim, I am also looking at getting all the wheels sandblasted and painted before fitting new tyres. Does anyone know the correct silver / grey to paint the rims.?

Thanks in advance..
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current -
    1976 16TS

Quote Originally Posted by CXVingtCinq View Post
    Right.! I have obtained radiator hoses from Don in Adelaide and will attack that job this weekend. Pics to follow.In the interim, I am also looking at getting all the wheels sandblasted and painted before fitting new tyres. Does anyone know the correct silver / grey to paint the rims.? Thanks in advance..
    Sorry i'm not sure, i'm not as knowledgeable about 16's as some of the other guys.

They are the standard rims with the old style hub caps as per below and not the flash Gordini copies.

R16 TS Questions-r16-ts-front-qtr.jpg
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current -
    1976 16TS

Thread Information