Modified R16TS Engine Power output? - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Modified R16TS Engine Power output?

Hi,
    I think someone may have mentioned this already but I have found the 807 motor difficult to build oil pressure after an oil change, but removing the filter and pouring oil down to the pump with a tube allows pressure to build very quickly when turning the motor over afterward

Regards,
    Andy

Advertisement

OK, thanks for that Andy.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Ren View Post
    Hi,
    I think someone may have mentioned this already but I have found the 807 motor difficult to build oil pressure after an oil change, but removing the filter and pouring oil down to the pump with a tube allows pressure to build very quickly when turning the motor over afterward

Regards,
    Andy

Very interesting Col. I really never measured the distance all I know that rear R8 shelf support is directly above the No.1 spark plug tube hole in the cross flow head and I tried all the extensions I had and in the end said stuff it and pulled the head off.

I just don't want to put the engine in and go through all that again. One plug in it won't stop me giving it a couple of revs to build up oil pressure before trying to fire up the engine. Every thing will be primed including the carbies so BARNIE should burst into life a
    after a couple of revolutions.
    I'll do some more measurements tomorrow, maybe with the right size extension it might work.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi Phil

How much clearance do you have between the top of the rocker cover and the bottom of the shelf support?

I use a 3/8" plug socket, a small extension and a universal to access the number 1 plug on my alpine, actually need it for all of the except number 4.

Yes John. I did consider cutting a hole through the back shelf support but guess what is right under it..The Shelf Support right where the Engine Cover retention spring sits !!! Ahhhh Phil

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Here is my good luck wish Phil. Can't you cut a hole somewhere to get plug access for #1?

I also recall Frans talking about 4000 rpm to bed in the cam. He said it sounds like a terrible idea but works. He should know.....

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Yes John. I did consider cutting a hole through the back shelf support but guess what is right under it..The Shelf Support right where the Engine Cover retention spring sits !!! Ahhhh Phil
    Arrgghhh indeed!

Re-engineer the support? You do need plug access without pulling off the head after all.... Good luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

On my 16 powered R8, I used a cut down standard R16 spark plug tube spanner, left about 14mm longer than the tube in the head, with a hole drilled across it to utilise a screwdriver to turn the spanner. Once fully loosened the plug was removed via the H/Volt extension on the plug. I could change all of them OK.

Thanks for that Alan. Yes I fiddled around today with measurements and I can do it that way or using a 4" extension with universal joint on long spark plug spanner.

Thanks again
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    On my 16 powered R8, I used a cut down standard R16 spark plug tube spanner, left about 14mm longer than the tube in the head, with a hole drilled across it to utilise a screwdriver to turn the spanner. Once fully loosened the plug was removed via the H/Volt extension on the plug. I could change all of them OK.

Thanks Col. Yes tried it today and should work for mine also.

Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi Phil

How much clearance do you have between the top of the rocker cover and the bottom of the shelf support?

I use a 3/8" plug socket, a small extension and a universal to access the number 1 plug on my alpine, actually need it for all of the except number 4.
    COL likes this.

Phil,
    You need a "double articulated" plug spanner, alla for the Alpine 1600S......

Modified R16TS Engine Power output?-20180430_101321.jpg

And the appropriate piece of Blue rubber hose.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Thanks Ray.
    Reckon I have this now.
    Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Phil,
    You need a "double articulated" plug spanner, alla for the Alpine 1600S......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180430_101321.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	106475

And the appropriate piece of Blue rubber hose.

Ray

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information