Modern Renault diagnostic tools ? - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Modern Renault diagnostic tools ?

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Alan, is it bidirectional - see comment i picked up from a review on the 803 Elite:

These people claim it's good for Renault up to 2017. Expensive?
    Autel MD808 Pro Multi System Diagnostic Package for ABS, Engine, Airbags, Transmission, DPF, Oil Reset, Battery Reset & More
    Certainly mine will erase/reset any faults that I have had on the various cars I have used it on. I do like that it tells you the actual fault, rather than a code you then have to look up somewhere else. When you have connected it, and told it what brand of car it is, it then is able to work out the VIN and goes on from there, although it doesn't know what sort of gearbox is in the Volvo, and needs you to select a choice. It does all the body systems, entertainment, door locks, air bags etc.

Advertisement
    tazfrog likes this.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

1000+ Posts

Thanks Alan! Just planning ahead when the Megane runs out of warranty. I'll do my own servicing then.
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

1000+ Posts

OK I decided to send it back. They offered that option so I did.
    Actually I believe it would probably work OK for a model before 2013. They seemed to be available and a lot of ECUs listed for manual selection. But my car is a 2015. I checked if I could fool it into accepting another model, eg a Clio and a Megan, and it did read the ECU and get the vin OK. But I did not wish to cancel any fault codes as I had none. The only thing I wanted was to play with the tire pressure sensors and it would not give me a menu with that as an option. I did not play with any other options I might have had access to, as it is still under warranty
    Jaahn

I have not tried my Autel unit on anything newer than 2009. I did the free update of the software a year after I bought it, perhaps this then made it suitable for later model cars than when the unit was produced. I believe there is a charge for further updates, but I have not looked into it.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    I have not tried my Autel unit on anything newer than 2009. I did the free update of the software a year after I bought it, perhaps this then made it suitable for later model cars than when the unit was produced. I believe there is a charge for further updates, but I have not looked into it.
    Hmm. Perhaps I need to move into this part of the modern age now we have no fewer than three Series 2 Scenics in the family, all pre-2007. As I've said before, with amusement, it's Bob Gray's fault! I need to do some homework about how they work and where to plug them in.

I guess there isn't a 6V one for the 4CV...…
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

COL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Hmm. Perhaps I need to move into this part of the modern age now we have no fewer than three Series 2 Scenics in the family, all pre-2007. As I've said before, with amusement, it's Bob Gray's fault! I need to do some homework about how they work and where to plug them in.

I guess there isn't a 6V one for the 4CV...…
    If you buy a diagnostic scanner John make sure you get one that can read live data.

You will still need to use your old fashion diagnostic skills, but you will be able to see what each sensor is reading, and this is where most of the electrical problems are.

I have used mine to fix an engine miss (pencil coil #5) in the spare car I bought cheap and also to diagnose a problem with my climate control air con which turned out to be the evaporator temp sensor reading 58 deg C.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Thanks Col. I've a way to go getting my mind around this stuff. There are obviously plenty of traps for the unwary!

Does the one Alan uses "read live data"? I presume that "live data" means it shows what is happening when the engine is running, not just interrogation of error messages recorded earlier? If so, it makes perfect sense.

I'm not yet sure where they even plug in!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Yes my unit does have a live data provision. The Clio has the connection under the ashtray in the centre console. Most others (not Renaults) have them incorporated with the fuse/relay box.
    JohnW likes this.

1000+ Posts

As i understand it, to reset monitoring features like oil level a bi-directional code reader is needed.
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

COL

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    Yes my unit does have a live data provision. The Clio has the connection under the ashtray in the centre console. Most others (not Renaults) have them incorporated with the fuse/relay box.
    The OBD socket in my Laguna is under the ash tray too, so at a guess I would say thats where the plug is in your Scenics John.

If not there a quick google will have it located.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    The OBD socket in my Laguna is under the ash tray too, so at a guess I would say thats where the plug is in your Scenics John. If not there a quick google will have it located.
    You'll laugh. No ashtray! There is a canister that can be used, fitting in a cupholder. Quite civilised - #2 Scenic has one, clearly never used!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information