• 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 4 Post By R8philSA
  • 1 Post By David Cavanagh
  • 1 Post By R8 Dream
  • 2 Post By R8 Dream

Thread: Worst Job

Default Worst Job

I think I am fairly patient normally and can figure out most things with cars - particularly to do with R8/10, but there is still one task I absolutely hate doing.
    Everytime I get to this point my nerves start to build and I know I am going to end up with scratches all over my hands and a sore back and contorted arms.
    its taking the little clip from inside of the door from the clasp that holds the handle pull.
    It appears the the spring steel clip was designed to just go on and never come off!. The only way it comes off is by breaking the clip
    Is there a certain way or tool that should be used?
    It just can't be that difficult.
    Angelo

Attachment 106092Attachment 106093

Advertisement

[QUOTE=R8 Dream;1570268]
    It appears the the spring steel clip was designed to just go on and never come off!. The only way it comes off is by breaking the clip
    Angelo

I feel your pain Angelo.
    I use a bent flat blade screwdriver just a bit wider then the base of the clip, put it in on an angle then flatten it out and wiggle it about, the clips sometimes let go. The clips are a bit like a Pit Bull and very aggressive. There is always blood involved (for me anyway).

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA- ATMO 1987.
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

Fellow Frogger!

I have been told that it is less impossible if you remove the door and do that job on a bench. Since I am not a purist in such matters, after spending half a day trying to remove the clip I decided that life is too short to spend that much time on a crappy design so I cut the fastening system off with the dremel and replaced it with a similar piece in stainless from the local boat shop.

Push the U-shaped loop retainer from the bottom and pop the upper tabs on the clip (it just releases the pressure on the tab) then push down on the U-shaped retainer and pop the bottom two tabs (with a narrow flat bladed screwdriver).
    J-man likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

And here I was thinking it would be about the master cylinder!

I looked at those devices on the doors and decided there was never going to be a big enough reason to remove the things from any door in my possession. I like the boat shop solution though.

Great description Simon. Any chance of a drawing?

Cheers
    J-man likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

No drawing required. If pushing from the bottom up, pop the top two retaining clips, then pushing from the top down, pop the two bottom ones. It worked for me. The amount of movement of the retaining loop is limited, but even so, it would appear to marginally release the pressure of the clip on the loop. Enough to pop the clip with a flat bladed screwdriver.

When replacing the loop, make sure you haven't gone overboard with the paint. Thick paint would make it harder to replace the clip. Then, because you can't see the clip easily inside the door, give it a spray in there with your fave Tectyl or fishoil in case the clip loop has been scratched to bare metal.

If for a competition car, chuck the metal retaining loop and clip, as well as the door pull loop. Replace the door pull with some 418 blue tiedown strapping, and the metal loop and clip with a quality zip tie (with the join of the zip tie inside the door panel to make it look neat). That'll be about another 12.5 grams you won't have to remove from something else. If the door pull needs to be more fireproof, replace the strapping with some bridle leather.
    JohnW likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

And I have just finished refurbishing 4 x R8 doors and those 'U' shape steel hand puller retainers stayed right where they were. Really tight and accurately placed masking tape, a little rust converter, 400 wet and dry, primer and paint and who the hell is going to notice that little repair?? Wait until you brake a window winder mechanism like I did, then you will know what seriously hard work is believe me!!!
    Have a great day
    Cheers
    Phil

Worst Job-dscn2674.jpg
    JohnW, R8 Dream, Sunroof and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    I think I am fairly patient normally and can figure out most things with cars - particularly to do with R8/10, but there is still one task I absolutely hate doing.
    Everytime I get to this point my nerves start to build and I know I am going to end up with scratches all over my hands and a sore back and contorted arms.
    its taking the little clip from inside of the door from the clasp that holds the handle pull.
    Angelo

Attachment 106092Attachment 106093

Sounds like you need the practice and I don't want to learn so are you volunteering to come and do mine?
    JohnW likes this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    And here I was thinking it would be about the master cylinder!
    Good point John, how could I forget!
    Maybe the 2nd worst job ever!!!

Angelo
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Sounds like you need the practice and I don't want to learn so are you volunteering to come and do mine?
    You know as well as anyone, I DONT NEED the practice, ..... but for you Dave, anytime!

Angelo

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    No drawing required. If pushing from the bottom up, pop the top two retaining clips, then pushing from the top down, pop the two bottom ones. It worked for me. The amount of movement of the retaining loop is limited, but even so, it would appear to marginally release the pressure of the clip on the loop. Enough to pop the clip with a flat bladed screwdriver.

When replacing the loop, make sure you haven't gone overboard with the paint. Thick paint would make it harder to replace the clip. Then, because you can't see the clip easily inside the door, give it a spray in there with your fave Tectyl or fishoil in case the clip loop has been scratched to bare metal.

If for a competition car, chuck the metal retaining loop and clip, as well as the door pull loop. Replace the door pull with some 418 blue tiedown strapping, and the metal loop and clip with a quality zip tie (with the join of the zip tie inside the door panel to make it look neat). That'll be about another 12.5 grams you won't have to remove from something else. If the door pull needs to be more fireproof, replace the strapping with some bridle leather.
    Simon as always, thanks for the very detailed instructions.

I am though going to introduce a modification.

I am going to drill a small hole on each end of the U shaped retainer, push through the holes in the door and place a thin washer and use a circlip. If ever I need to take it out again (I pray to God I won't) then it will be a simple process of slipping a small screwdriver in the back and popping the clip on each end of the retainer.

I know it might never be needed to be undone again....but I have learnt along the journey 'never to say never'

Thanks again
    Angelo
    JohnW and Brianbcs like this.

Thread Information