Renault 20TS Power Steer
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Renault 20TS Power Steer

Hi all

Had a call from a guy in Moruya on the NSW south coast who has a 1981 Renault 20TS. He is not on the internet so thought I would post his problem here to see in anyone can help.His problem is the power steering on his car is worn out and leaking which he says is due to worn bushes. I have a spare one from a Fuego but not sure if it would fit?? He is interested in obtaining a new one if available but he realises that this may not be possible. I said I would put his problem out there to see if any one can help. I am guessing that his steering rack is beyond repair.

Cheers

Advertisement

bazzamac

Fellow Frogger!

Have you tried finding someone that can recondition it? I did for mine, though some time ago now.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

1000+ Posts

Pretty sure there will be someone that can recondition it. I had my R25 done also some years ago. Did cost a fair bit though. I don't know what is in power steering rams but my guess would be bronze bushes and "o" rings. Both are available in a big range of sizes. Perhaps I am talking through my back end, but I have worked on several hydraulic rams and they are usually easy enough. The power steer on my tractor leaks a little and I have looked at that and think I would have a go at that. Different I know but surely similar in concept. The pump is a different matter all together, haven't a clue, only ever glanced at one.

Fellow Frogger!

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=bazzamac;1569202]Hi all

Had a call from a guy in Moruya on the NSW south coast who has a 1981 Renault 20TS. He is not on the internet so thought I would post his problem here to see in anyone can help.His problem is the power steering on his car is worn out and leaking which he says is due to worn bushes. I have a spare one from a Fuego but not sure if it would fit?? He is interested in obtaining a new one if available but he realises that this may not be possible. I said I would put his problem out there to see if any one can help. I am guessing that his steering rack is beyond repair.

If the R20 is a 1981 it sounds like a series 11 which were prone to leaking seals due to the internal hydraulics in the rack.
    If you intend to keep your R20TS I would swap over to a series 1 rack that had an external hydraulic ram which is a much better solution as a leaking ram is simple to remove to repair/replace. Usually the ram end mounting bushes are all that was required to eliminate wear!

The Peugeot 405 and 306 used these power assisted racks and as everyone knows there isn't too much wrong with the steering on these!!

I converted my R20 11 to series 1 about 20 years ago and can say you only want to go there once !!!
    The pumps are the same from memory

Alain

Fellow Frogger!

Probably got a Series 1 auto rack.

PM me?

Thread Information