Engine size 1963 Renault R8
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Engine size 1963 Renault R8

Default Engine size 1963 Renault R8

Hi Guys.

Is there anybody out there that can tell me if any of the Australian delivered/assembled 1963 Renault R8 were fitted with the 1108cc Sierra engines.

Thanks fellas
    Phil

Advertisement

In 1963, it was the R1130 with a 956cc motor introduced in Australia. In mid-1964 the R1132 with the 1108cc motor was introduced to Australia.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Correct Simon (of course). Anyone want a 956 cc sleeve kit? I'm not sure I'll use the one in the cupboard....

They are sweet engines actually, rev willingly but less low down torque if I recall correctly.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

The stuff that comes out of your cupboard John. You must have a big cupboard. I have an original 956cc engine for an 8 if any one wanted to go original. Most 956cc engines have gone to the scrap yard as they had a faulty design. Both my cars that should have a 956cc engine have had them replaced many years ago with later 1108cc engines. If I could find a 956cc Floride S/ Caravelle R1131 engine (slight differences to R8 one) then I would probably put it back in my Floride S just for originality sake.

Correct - the early R8 blocks warped!! I ended up with my 956 gear in an R10 block for some years, then put a new sleeve kit in it in 1988, 1108 not least because you couldn't buy 956 by then. That's the current engine.

I did acquire quite a bit of stuff over the years when it was hard to get. I'm doing my best to use it up when appropriate. I do have a reconditioned 956 8-port head, just the stuff for a higher compression ratio on 1108 sleeves!

I'll keep that 956 kit rather than chuck it out obviously, so it will be here... I doubt there's much demand.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

Engine size 1963 Renault R8-1525855148605.jpgEngine size 1963 Renault R8-1525855160237.jpg
    All this engine talk has me wondering about capacity of my R1130. Can it be determined by just the engine number. One engine is in car, other a spare.
    Cheers Mark

Sent from my CPH1725 using aussiefrogs mobile app

688-02 are 1108cc from either an R1132 R8 Major, or R10.

Provided of course, the blocks haven’t been machined to accept larger sleeves and pistons at some stage in their lives.

Just looking at the tags and engine numbers, the first one is probably R8, the second an R10 would be my guess.
    Last edited by renault8&10; 9th May 2018 at 07:31 PM.
    KB

If I recall, the early blocks were green too, not black. I certainly saw it close up a few times working out why the head gasket wouldn't seal.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Well, thank you all for the most comprehensive replys. I'm a lot wiser now. No doubt about it, the Renault guys are a great bunch.
    Cheers
    Phil

1000+ Posts

Early R8 engine number started 689 - 02 and the R1131 Floride S/Caravelle 689 - 03. They were definately green. Most were changed. One of mine was changed to a Caravelle R1133 block and came with factory/agent paint dobs on many of the key bolts etc. (Perhaps changed under warranty?). Where as the other has an R10 block. Both have all the rest of the original bits like 8 port head etc. The 4 speed Dauphine Gordine gearboxes were fitted originally but they too had problems as the crown wheel bolts dropped out and jambed and cracked the bottom of the gearbox. So many now have 330 gearboxes with syncro on first unlike the Dauph box. There is a service note suggesting that a dob of weld be put on the head of each bolt.

Tadpole

Thanks guys, while we have everyone's attention and the conversation has drifted a little to gearboxes. I have an issue that has me baffled. My R1130 had a full box of gears as it entered the shed, now sadly all i can manage to select is 1st and 3rd (lost 2,4 & Rev). I had fiddled with the linkages to no avail. perhaps selectors? Is there any history or experience with this problem.
    Don't they look magnificent in redEngine size 1963 Renault R8-lola_red.jpgEngine size 1963 Renault R8-r8_red.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Thanks guys, while we have everyone's attention and the conversation has drifted a little to gearboxes. I have an issue that has me baffled. My R1130 had a full box of gears as it entered the shed, now sadly all i can manage to select is 1st and 3rd (lost 2,4 & Rev). I had fiddled with the linkages to no avail. perhaps selectors? Is there any history or experience with this problem.
    Don't they look magnificent in redClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Lola_red.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	105871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R8_Red.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	105872
    You have a clone of our R1130!!!! Rouge Trinidad too? Wow... Ours has a 10S gearbox as the original one dropped a tooth off second gear and I threw it away. if you have a box full of not many gears, probably the key roll pin that connects the selectors to the shaft that goes into the gearbox from the gearlever has broken. They do.... Not a hard fix and it can be done in place, if a bit fiddly.

I should encourage you to join the Renault 4CV Register of Australia, as we cater for all the RERs.

Please post a photo of the oval plate. I've only once ever seen another genuine red one, in Adelaide in the 1980s.

Back to topic, does yours have its original R1130 956 cc engine with the 8-port head?

Thanks so much for the photos. We'll have to get them together for a photoshoot. Perhaps 2021 at the Muster after Inverell?

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Engine size 1963 Renault R8-r8-griffith-hi-res.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Hi John.
    Wished I had the ID plate info for you but as a 19year R8 Renault lover it never occurred to me that anybody would be that interested. Drove/thrashed the 956 for 6 1/2 years with my girl (now wife) and we went everywhere. Hill climbed at Amaroo Park, raced and thrashed it to Wagga Wagga and back to Sydney almost every weekend for 7 months when I was training in the RAAF. In all that time I did a water pump and a voltage regulator.

How about a pic of the ID plates of my 1963 barn find " BARNIE" would that excite you?? SEE ATTACHED

Cheers mate
    Phil
    Engine size 1963 Renault R8-dscn1281.jpg

Thanks Phil.

Barnie's earlier than my car by the oval plate. I wonder which is the oldest R8 around?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

John, I vaguely recall a thread about that metallic green R8 Wayne did in WA (Perth?). It might have been JodieK when they were doing the resto that never got completed that Simon posted about the oval plate number on the car at that time.

He mentioned that was quite an early one. That thread’s probably gone in the great crash but would have been interesting to compare numbers to see which was the older.

KB
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Hi John.
    Wished I had the ID plate info for you but as a 19year R8 Renault lover it never occurred to me that anybody would be that interested. Drove/thrashed the 956 for 6 1/2 years with my girl (now wife) and we went everywhere. Hill climbed at Amaroo Park, raced and thrashed it to Wagga Wagga and back to Sydney almost every weekend for 7 months when I was training in the RAAF. In all that time I did a water pump and a voltage regulator.

How about a pic of the ID plates of my 1963 barn find " BARNIE" would that excite you?? SEE ATTACHED

Cheers mate
    Phil
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1281.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	105948
    I don't doubt the stories about problems with the 956 Sierra engine and with R1130s in general. However, my experience is similar to R8philSA's. In 1970, with a friend I bought a seven year old R1130 with 70,000 miles on the odometer. We stripped the engine with the philosophy that we would replace anything that showed significantly wear. We replaced nothing! We did however, do a port and polish, insert a modified camshaft and a few other minor modifications.
    In that state of tune, the speedo needle would go to the end of the calibrations and then try to hide! That speed was the cruising speed for the next 70,000 miles. The R1130 was also used for the occasional sprint and other low level motor sport. I experienced no significant problems with it.
    At about 140,000 miles in the R1130, I obtained a friend's low mileage R10 which his girlfriend had rolled. I did the same sort of modifications to the R10 engine and then installed it and the R10 gearbox into my R1130. If the R10 engine hadn't become available, I would have gone on using the original engine in the R1130. It had t was a good moveswapped the engine and gearbox for the engine and gearbox athat we

I seem to remember a similar story from Phil H. in Queensland - an 1130 driven hard for years with no trouble. Mine was 100% and very thrashable until I couldn't get a head gasket to seal when it was about 9 years old. The block had warped, just a few thou. I had it planed and it warped again. So, I guess some had a casting flaw. All the moving parts went into an R10 block, including the 956 pistons and sleeves and those parts of the engine were 24 years old when finally a new sleeve kit went in during 1988.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    John, I vaguely recall a thread about that metallic green R8 Wayne did in WA (Perth?). It might have been JodieK when they were doing the resto that never got completed that Simon posted about the oval plate number on the car at that time. He mentioned that was quite an early one. That thread’s probably gone in the great crash but would have been interesting to compare numbers to see which was the older. KB
    Good point. I think, but it's been a while now, that his green car was based on an early R8 1100 shell that I gave him as we needed to clear it out of the garden. Wayne might have been the person who bought a nice dark green R8 from a friend of mine in Perth too, and that was last heard of somewhere in NSW a few years ago. Again it was an R8 1100.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    You have a clone of our R1130!!!! Rouge Trinidad too? Wow... Ours has a 10S gearbox as the original one dropped a tooth off second gear and I threw it away. if you have a box full of not many gears, probably the key roll pin that connects the selectors to the shaft that goes into the gearbox from the gearlever has broken. They do.... Not a hard fix and it can be done in place, if a bit fiddly.

I should encourage you to join the Renault 4CV Register of Australia, as we cater for all the RERs.

Please post a photo of the oval plate. I've only once ever seen another genuine red one, in Adelaide in the 1980s.

Back to topic, does yours have its original R1130 956 cc engine with the 8-port head?

Thanks so much for the photos. We'll have to get them together for a photoshoot. Perhaps 2021 at the Muster after Inverell?

Cheers
    This is the rubber block that broke on my A110 selector....the rubber had perished...resulted in the same issues stated by Lola ...item #5 in the attached link. Cheap to buy but you can also make something up to suit.

GBS A110 1300 Engine & Gearbox Mount
    1969 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Don't they look magnificent in redClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Lola_red.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	105871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R8_Red.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	105872
    See my reply above re selector issue
    1969 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by nauli View Post
    This is the rubber block that broke on my A110 selector....the rubber had perished...resulted in the same issues stated by Lola ...item #5 in the attached link. Cheap to buy but you can also make something up to suit.

GBS A110 1300 Engine & Gearbox Mount
    Standard R8/R10 block by the look of it. There's been plenty of discussion here and there. I've never broken one but I've replaced them every decade or two when they looked distressed, before they failed. Carry pliers and fencing wire for roadside repairs!!

Cheers
    59 Floride likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Standard R8/R10 block by the look of it. There's been plenty of discussion here and there. I've never broken one but I've replaced them every decade or two when they looked distressed, before they failed. Carry pliers and fencing wire for roadside repairs!!

Cheers
    Good idea John...I now have a spare set of standard ones plus some "bespoke" spares that Mr Bonney made....
    1969 Alpine A110

No, I'm pretty sure it had a stepped roof which would have made it an early 1130.
    Where's Simon when you need him!

Pity you can't tag users on AF like you can on Facebook.
    KB

Just change for a 1146 CC Series1 Mazda RX7 rotary engine

Will then have decent HP for smoking those rear tyres

Engine size 1963 Renault R8-tyre.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Hi Guys.

Is there anybody out there that can tell me if any of the Australian delivered/assembled 1963 Renault R8 were fitted with the 1108cc Sierra engines.

Thanks fellas
    Phil
    Yes I had one

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information