• 1 Post By 59 Floride
  • 3 Post By JohnW
  • 2 Post By Simon
  • 2 Post By 59 Floride
  • 1 Post By 59 Floride
  • 1 Post By 59 Floride

Thread: Renault Prairie and Colorale

Default Renault Prairie and Colorale

I think I want one of these little pearlers, does anyone know of any road going Prairies in Oz?

I like this early troop carrier version because it has the roll-up canvas side.. seems to have a side valve engine too. https://youtu.be/Z3KMZ3wRMfg

The later cars had an OHV Fregate engine.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Prairie and Colorale-prairie.jpg   Renault Prairie and Colorale-prairier.jpg   Renault Prairie and Colorale-pra.jpg   Renault Prairie and Colorale-prar.jpg   Renault Prairie and Colorale-p1.jpg   Renault Prairie and Colorale-p2.jpg  

Last edited by 59 Floride; 4th May 2018 at 06:10 PM.

cheers,

John

Similar to that. I know where this car is and have spoken to the owner about it.

My question is, are there any road-going prairies in Oz because I have never heard of any.

Remember this one..?

Renault Colorale Praire

Yep, pity the hand brake got pulled on with that project. Hopefully it'll kick back in some time. Sounds like he had some major obstacles to get sorted first.

So don't you think that one would be road going with a jumper pack and jerry can? Oh, the lights, its got no lights
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Yep, pity the hand brake got pulled on with that project. Hopefully it'll kick back in some time. Sounds like he had some major obstacles to get sorted first.

So don't you think that one would be road going with a jumper pack and jerry can? Oh, the lights, its got no lights
    Having spoken with the owner it seems to be a complete and restorable car.

I knew one in Adelaide in the late 1960s, parked up with a Domaine. Long gone. The big gun shop on Rundle Street (east) was owned by a local character, Hambly Clark(e) who was a hunter and appeared on childrens' television in the 1960s. He was reputed to have had one too. And, back then Adelaide City Council had an engine that was used to pump water for irrigating parks and gardens from the River Torrens - I recall Renault Australia amazed to get an order for a Prarie sleeve kit for it!!

I imagine the sleeve valve version would be quite a slug. Perhaps a small block Chev would be better.... Actually, a Vedette engine might be a fair modification. French, about the right age!
    59 Floride, jaahn and J-man like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Hi,
    I worked with a guy in the late 60s who had one. He lived in a caravan park and towed his van with it. But never have seen it around the area since then. I think he asked me to do a bit of a job tuning it as he knew I had a R750. Hard to remember the details now.

When I was a kid, a family friend on a farm had one too and I remembered it parking out the side of our house. The 1950s I guess. It was rare then and the only one I saw till the second one in the 60s.
    Not much help really
    Jaahn

I like the idea of a Prairie, it would look good with a nice period horse float on the factory standard towing hitch. But it really would need to be re-powered with something that had more go, but also you'd want to retain the RH column shift :-)

This one was a Fregate engined version, I just wonder what has happened to it.

J-man and JohnW like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Hi Simon
    That car is just like the picture in my head of the two I remember ??? Just a coincidence ??
    The standard tow bar would explain why my associate had one probably. I recall it had an engine which looked just like a bigger version of the 750 engine.
    I also note la Savan has "la suspension Gregoire". I thought that was only used on 750's.
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    That car is just like the picture in my head of the two I remember ??? Just a coincidence ??
    Even though RHD production was in the hundreds, I'd say it would be a coincidence. Although I am srprised by the number of survivors (?) still out there, however I've never seen one of those survivors actually running.

The above car appeared to be fairly lightly used, apparently being used to travel back and forth between RAdelaide and Melvegas back in the day - if you could believe the nth owner. The motor was free, but I'm guessing it was a non-runner from overheating, as the alloy cooling hose spigot bolted onto the head had cracked, then broken.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Prairie and Colorale-motorlhs.jpg   Renault Prairie and Colorale-prairielhr.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I like the idea of a Prairie,

This one was a Fregate engined version, I just wonder what has happened to it.
    I'm pretty sure this one has the Fregate engine..

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Having spoken with the owner it seems to be a complete and restorable car.
    Do you still have that US straight-8 engine?

Regardless of engine, a decent Prairie would be a great addition to the Oz group of classic Renaults. And not many would have the motivation and skills to do it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Do you still have that US straight-8 engine?

Regardless of engine, a decent Prairie would be a great addition to the Oz group of classic Renaults. And not many would have the motivation and skills to do it.
    Yes I still have the Yankee engine in my man-cave, don't know what I'll do with it yet.

I would take the Prairie on but I am just too busy for the foreseeable future. Of course if someone could offer me long term storage....then..

At the big event at Montlhery in 2016, there were only two of this family. And that is in France! We also saw one on the Daisy Tour - a flat bed ute, I'd call it but no doubt there's a French name.

I suspect these are pretty rare, full stop. I wonder whether there is a club somewhere?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Prairie and Colorale-p6010674.jpg   Renault Prairie and Colorale-colorales.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

There is a French Colorale forum that I haven't trawled through yet for anyone interested.

Colorale club :: Liens

The astute observer will of course notice that the Prairie uses Fregate wheel rims..

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    The astute observer will of course notice that the Prairie uses Fregate wheel rims..
    The Prairie even uses the Fregate hubcaps.

Whilst out and about this morning I was thinking what replacement power unit could be used. Apart from rebuilding the originals - just for originality, I couldn't really think of anything current that would be future-proof and reasonably maintenance free. Then thought it may make a nice electric car retrofit project in the future when battery technology improves and you can get squat shaped batteries to fit under the floor, as there are cubic metres of space under the Prairie floor.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The Prairie even uses the Fregate hubcaps.
    You are quite right, I'd missed that fact..

At the big event at Montlhery in 2016, there were only two of this family. And that is in France! We also saw one on the Daisy Tour - a flat bed ute, I'd call it but no doubt there's a French name.

I suspect these are pretty rare, full stop. I wonder whether there is a club somewhere?
    Found this John
    Colorale Club association de Renault Colorale (Prairie, Pick-up, Savane, fourgon, plateau-ridelles,woody, taxi, moteur 85 lateral, moteur frégate, etc...)

edit: Just realized it's the same Org as the forum
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

COL

Who did the 4x4? were these the early Sinpar efforts? or did Renault dabble in 4x4's?

Sinpar did conversions on the R4, R6, R12, R18 and maybe a few others
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Who did the 4x4? were these the early Sinpar efforts? or did Renault dabble in 4x4's?

Sinpar did conversions on the R4, R6, R12, R18 and maybe a few others
    It seems Col, they did!
    4x4 Renault Colorale 2093 et 2094. have a browse of the Colorale Club association de Renault Colorale (Prairie, Pick-up, Savane, fourgon, plateau-ridelles,woody, taxi, moteur 85 lateral, moteur frégate, etc...)
    Technical section. 4x4 in there.
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    It seems Col, they did! Technical section. 4x4 in there.
    Not a wildly active group - they are advertising a 2012 event! I imagine there are only a few dozen of them, even in France. I didn't see a single one in Mauritania, where they might have been used in the Sahara, the oldest Renaults being early R4s, and one R3 (!!!) and the oldest Peugeots being 404s. Still, at independence in the early 1960s, Mauritania didn't have a city - they built Nouakchott later. Maybe there are some in North Africa?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Not a wildly active group - they are advertising a 2012 event! I imagine there are only a few dozen of them, even in France. I didn't see a single one in Mauritania, where they might have been used in the Sahara, the oldest Renaults being early R4s, and one R3 (!!!) and the oldest Peugeots being 404s. Still, at independence in the early 1960s, Mauritania didn't have a city - they built Nouakchott later. Maybe there are some in North Africa?
    There is a large hot rod & custom car fraternity in Europe and I have seen the Prairie chassis used for purposes other than the original intent. Much like our Holden one tonners.

Thread Information