Captur low profile tires :( Pressure sensors ?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Captur low profile tires :( Pressure sensors ?

1000+ Posts

Default Captur low profile tires :( Pressure sensors ?

Hi
    Finally got sick of the harsh low speed ride of the low profile tires on my Captur. 205/55r17. Bounces and crashes on the choppy goat tracks we have for suburban roads here(and there) So I purloined a set of mags with 195/65r15 tires, which are listed on the tire placard as an option , for a trial.

Initially seemed good on a test run. Seems to have reduced the extreme harshness as expected, but the handling is OK and with our driving not expected to be a problem. I will report more after a short time ! Appearance is not as sharp !

Advertisement

HOWEVER when coming home the "spanner" comes on, with "check the tire pressure sensors" on the readout. BUGGER forgot about that !!!!!! So what to do about that ? Can it be switched off with a scanner or what. Can I just wheel the other wheels past it occasionally to fool it or fit new sensors in the wheels I have or ? What do these sensors look like, and where the hell are they ?????

Jaahn

I found this on the net, I assume it would be the right one, or close to the right one
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	captur.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	105631
    jaahn likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Put your four wheels and tyres in the boot and forget about the problem.

Jo
    HONG KONG PUGGY and Kim Luck like this.

Just get a tyre shop to swap over the sensors.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Tyre pressure sensors may well work in the new rims and send the signal but you might need to have the On board computer reprogrammed if the optimum pressure differs from the 15">>17" tyres.
    Kim Luck and Sunroof like this.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

I couldn't help notice that the 15's are a smaller combo than the 17's.
    Regrettably if you go up a profile, you end up with a light truck tyre with a 14 ton load rating and a compound that willl last 180 thousand KM or more.
    If you go up to a 205 width, I suspect you will end up moving the handling more towards the area you trying to move away from, as the load rating also increases.

It is not always easy to get the right combo.

Jo

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I couldn't help notice that the 15's are a smaller combo than the 17's.
    Regrettably if you go up a profile, you end up with a light truck tyre with a 14 ton load rating and a compound that willl last 180 thousand KM or more.
    If you go up to a 205 width, I suspect you will end up moving the handling more towards the area you trying to move away from, as the load rating also increases.
    It is not always easy to get the right combo.
    Jo
    Hi Jo et al
    Thanks for the comments. I did put a tape around the tires and the 15's are just 4% less than the 17's. they are listed on the door placard as an option. Note they all have the same pressure and no load variation with new car, always full pressure ??

So far I am happy with the result. It is not a magic ride again but the harshness is removed. What happened to the French car ride I remember from the good ol' days

I researched the pressure sensors with the number from Fivedoor, thanks, and found a supplier in Germany for a reasonable price, if that is the word, or perhaps not as unreasonable as from elsewhere. So If it stick with them I might get 4 new ones and fit them. I guess some reprograming will be needed. I will look into that. I checked with my old scanner but no evidence of anything showed about the 'spanner' light.

I intended to bag the original wheels and tires for fitting later on if I sell it or whatever so I do not wish to remove the sensors from them. I would guess there is a fair chance of damaging the sensors if the tires are poorly removed, eg by the average tire shop monkey as they would stick up a bit inside.
    Jaahn
    Captur low profile tires :( Pressure sensors ?-20180203_104615.jpg
    Last edited by jaahn; 4th May 2018 at 10:53 AM.
    jo proffi likes this.

Tyre shops are well aware of tyre pressure sensors.
    Most newish and some older cars have them.

Great for getting a warning when your spare slowly deflates, if you have one

1000+ Posts

Hi driven ,
    I have a spare but it is a spacesaver 125/70R16 and I believe has no sensor fitted because the book says it will indicate a pressure fault while it is on ?? I will check that again. But it is pumped to a much higher pressure than the rest 61PSI so would not really work with the other 4.
    New cars are such a learning experience
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

The ideal would be to simply delete this junk (how could any sensible AF-er not notice an under-inflated tyre?). Trick is to stop the warning light's irritation. If impossible, then I'd simply ignore it. Contra-Jo, 195/65-15 is a size with a good short-list of nice tyres. Pick of them on most performance disciplines would be the Conti PremiumContact5.

For tyre size comparisons, a good reference site is:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 5th May 2018 at 12:49 AM.
    jaahn and jo proffi like this.

1000+ Posts

I have had two changes of tyres on my Latitude and they haven't damaged the air pressure senders as far as I know as I have seen at least two come on since. I think low profile tyres tend to loose pressure more often that others. With low profile tyres it is difficult to notice a 1 lb/inch drop below the recommended pressure. I have also complained about the rough ride of the Latitude but the tyres I have just fitted have transformed both the ride and tyre noise. 4cvg will now ask what they are, I will have to look. The soft French ride we all knew is no longer necessary in Europe as (except for a few villages with cobble stones) the roads are very smooth. Unlike the crap roads in most states in Oz. That is except WA where all the roads I travelled on were excellent in comparison to QLD, NSW, and Victoria.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Contra-Jo, 195/65-15 is a size with a good short-list of nice tyres. Pick of them on most performance disciplines would be the Conti PremiumContact5.
    Not contra, I fully concur….And noticed to chose a different size is choosing a truck tyre…..Its just the comment "not appearing as sharp" that made me notice that the combo was smaller.

My Koleos has the bigger rims (18 inch ), and I've upsized the tyres for some reason.
    When I see another koleos with the 17 inch rims and (I guess) the tyres that came with it I think they look silly like an EH holden. Lots of hole to fit the tyre, and not much tyre to fill the massive hole.

I suspect Jaahn's renault may look similar by comparison.
    Jo

1000+ Posts

Hi Jo
    Actually my comment on not looking so sharp is not really about the actual diameter in the wheel arch as it is almost the same, but the proportions of the tire/wheel combo and the width and the mag wheel look. The 205/55s are very square and wide shouldered with a striking silver/black big rim. The other tire/rim is not so macho and impressive Hmmm
    Jaahn

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi Jo
    Actually my comment on not looking so sharp is not really about the actual diameter in the wheel arch as it is almost the same, but the proportions of the tire/wheel combo and the width and the mag wheel look. The 205/55s are very square and wide shouldered with a striking silver/black big rim. The other tire/rim is not so macho and impressive Hmmm
    Jaahn
    Provided that the choice of tyre type is apt, sometimes "less is more" despite appearances.
    JohnW, jaahn and Sunroof like this.

Thanks for the market research re the Captur.... It had crossed my mind as a possible downsized Scenic replacement in about 5 years' time.

I endorse your comment about ride, jaahn! The Scenic isn't bad but is a whole class behind an R16 or our (sold) Citroen Xantia.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default Latitude ride

G'day,

putting my nose in here to keep an eye on the tale....

The 'ride' with our Latitude is total crap as soon as you leave the freeway. If you manage to find a 1" step facing you, easy plus with all the road works action and sunken transitions onto concrete bridge decks, there is a bloody great THUNK and you start to wonder about the security of the front end...

A recent one of these turned on the wipers....

So, go outside to have a look - front has Tracmax F106 225/45 R18, rear has Contisport Contact 3 225/45 ZR18

Maybe therein lies part of the problem ? Never notice any noises from the back on these road problems, Conti is the preferred shoe ?

Other one, they are are always pumped up to the upper end of the pressure range as it spends most of it's life at 100k - it feels much more secure on corners than the Celica the other half traded in on it...

comments welcome....

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

The 'ride' with our Latitude is total crap as soon as you leave the freeway.

So, go outside to have a look - front has Tracmax F106 225/45 R18, rear has Contisport Contact 3 225/45 ZR18

Maybe therein lies the problem ?

comments welcome.... cheers,Bob
    Hi Bob
    Wow I am not surprised the ride is crap. No side walls at all on those rubber bands. What else is there to say. Handles like a Kart and rides like one too. I remember that I do not need that now and infact will, have, actively taken step to get a better ride.
    Hi John
    I do believe the Captur is the successor to a Scenic. Smaller but not that much. Both models are a bit bigger than they look outside. Mine has a few seat tricks to help also in the French tradition. Probably goes just as well but better fuel economy. Will be cheap S/H in a couple of years also in the French tradition
    Jaahn
    Jaahn
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    I do believe the Captur is the successor to a Scenic.
    nah, a scenic is a Megane and a capture is a Clio... chalk and cheese ( albeit cheesey chalk and chalky cheese ).

The RX4 scenic was not that different to the Koleos I own now.
    Jo
    Kim Luck likes this.

nah, a scenic is a Megane and a capture is a Clio... chalk and cheese ( albeit cheesey chalk and chalky cheese ). The RX4 scenic was not that different to the Koleos I own now. Jo
    Problem is, newer Koleos models are just about Prado size. I'm not interested, on size alone. The early Koleos maybe, but they will be quite old by the time our Scenics get to the swap stage of their lives. I'm so enjoying the Series II Scenic. Megane vs Clio is correct for the underpinnings. I'd better drive one I guess.

Thanks for the comment.

I'm amazed, but should not be, by this ongoing matter of crap ride on low profile tyres. Is this a surprise to anyone????
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

nah, a scenic is a Megane and a capture is a Clio... chalk and cheese ( albeit cheesey chalk and chalky cheese ).

The RX4 scenic was not that different to the Koleos I own now.
    Jo
    Except the RX4 had more room inside!
    JohnW likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

On tyres generally: lower profile tyres of type X can ride better than higher profile ones of type Y. Structures vary according to design priorities. There is also the issue of different unsprung masses & thus different momentum to be countered by the rest of the vehicle for a given amplitude of wheel displacement on a bump.

To Bob: not sure about ride qualities but the Conti SC3 is a nice tyre on any performance parameter you wish to list & the Tracmax F106 is el cheapo junk - watch it in the wet.

You might wish to consider a shift in size to 215/55-18. This will have a 17.5% taller sidewall - that will be noticeable. Its circumference is 5% longer so the speedo will under-read a bit (an easy mental adjustment - half of 10%!). You'd have two very good tyre types available: the Conti PC2 & the Dunlop FM 800. The latter is better riding & has excellent wet grip. The former is even better in the wet & crisper handling but faster wearing (one of my all-time favourite tyres). There are two PC2 variants: an H-rated one & a V-rated one with "extra load" reinforced (2-ply) sidewalls. Either would suit but the former would ride better. At the moment, you'd get $100 off a set of 4.

Within the original size, you have some achingly gorgeous performance tyres available but for decent wet grip with a bias to comfort in structure, my recommendation would be Bridgestone's T001 Turanza. Bridgestone are prevalent discounters & have, in the past, offered splendid "4 for the price of 3" deals. At the moment, the Turanza range is not on special offer but should be in a month or so. Even if it is just a "$100 off for 4" deal, it's
    worth having (one can get a halfway decent bottle of red for $100!).

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 6th May 2018 at 08:50 PM.
    JohnW and bob like this.

"Halfway decent"?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    "Halfway decent"?
    How about a five pack from Aldi?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Captur low profile tires :( Pressure sensors ?-some-grange.jpg  
    jaahn likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    "Halfway decent"?
    I confess that that was a bit of trawling (caught one :-)

One of the considerable strengths of the Australian wine market is the extraordinary range of terrific red wine from, say, $15-25 (for current vintage) which will then, as Penfold sloganises, reward patience. Someone recently gave me a few bottles of 2001 Penfold's Koonunga Hill as a quid pro quo. Not a wine which I would have predicted such longevity for but, although it was "on the plateau" & would not improve any more, it drank very nicely indeed.

1000+ Posts

Incidentally Jaahn, the T001 is available in 205/55-17 as well & might be a solution. What is the current tyre type? And are they the 95 load rating variation?
    Last edited by 4cvg; 7th May 2018 at 08:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information