• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By schlitzaugen
  • 2 Post By COL

Thread: Oil seal

Default Oil seal

Guys,

I have to replace the oil seal on the selector shaft of the gear box on the 12.
    It's not covered in any of the 5 or 6 workshop manuals I have but is it as straightforward as it looks?
    I.E. drive out the rollpin on the coupling, remove the seal, replace the seal, replace coupling.
    If that the case, how does one get the old seal out?
    Although it weeping at the moment it looks to be in there flush with the casing. It's only a few mills wide and there's no apparent way of gripping the old seal.

Or do I have to remove the gearbox end-cap?

I've had Renault's for nearly 40 years so know that's what's looking straightforward ain't necessarily so.
    Lying on my back on cold concrete with EP80 dripping down my arm isn't my idea of a good time these days.

(At least I don't have to drop the whole engine/transmission to get at the thing like some modern cars).

Oil seal-gearbox-rear-housing-seal.jpg

Cheers
    RTT

Advertisement
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Hmm. If it is the same as the 330 gearbox on the R10, the seal comes out in an outwards direction but you have to remove the selector shaft as the seal won't come over the fitting at the outer end of the shaft. This means undoing the end cap, driving out a roll pin from one selector arm and pulling out the shaft.

Then the seal replacement is a doddle. Clean everything up and fiddle things back into place. My new seal had a double lip.

The fun bit is getting the end cap back with a new gasket in place, particularly driving in the NEW roll pin with gasket cement on the seal faces. I've done it in situ but fun it isn't.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

To grip seals drill 2 small holes opposite each other in the seal to suit a self tapping screw
    Screw in and pull out easy as pie.

The bronze bush will also be worn and the new seal will not last that long.

Disassembly required to replace or

BUSH MECHANIC careful strike with hammer on fine punch at 3 places on bush / casing join will deform sufficiently to reduce slop in shaft

R12 after removing the roll pin is smooth as far as I can remember

That seal is very small, from memory it will leave about 3mm either side of the shaft. Drilling it is not going to be easy without marring the shaft or the seat. Using self tappers would probably be as difficult. The seal is quite tough as well, so you will need some force. To pull it out in situ, I would recommend the hook tools if you have a small one (they can be bought).
    jaahn likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Guys,

I have to replace the oil seal on the selector shaft of the gear box on the 12.
    It's not covered in any of the 5 or 6 workshop manuals I have but is it as straightforward as it looks?
    I.E. drive out the rollpin on the coupling, remove the seal, replace the seal, replace coupling.
    If that the case, how does one get the old seal out?
    Although it weeping at the moment it looks to be in there flush with the casing. It's only a few mills wide and there's no apparent way of gripping the old seal.

Or do I have to remove the gearbox end-cap

Cheers
    RTT
    RTT you have the procedure correct, I have changed a few of these seals a few times.

What I have done in the past is use a small screw driver and a small hammer, drive the screw driver into the back of the seal with the hammer and then dig out the seal. You will destroy the seal but that doesn't matter.

Also there is two seal sizes, from memory the early cars had a 13mm shaft and the later cars had a 15mm shaft.

If you like I can look up the size so you can pre-buy if you want.

This is an easy job so don't over think it.
    Simon and Shoji like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Thanks guys,

I actually already have a seal in my parts pile, At least I think it's the right one.
    In my R12 parts list it lists the part numbers as 7703087059 or 7703087060 and the seals have a size of 26x15x9. This seal is number 7701348675 and the size is 26x15x7.
    A later parts manual might list this as a substitute.
    The 26x15 size is the same so it should fit the housing and the shaft and being a couple of mills shorter shouldn't make a difference. I better get the calipers out and measure the thickness of the selector shaft.

With just 4mm either side of the selector shaft it's going to be tight getting a drill in there but I have some picks for locks so might be able to get it out with one of them.
    Hopefully the selector shaft won't be worn where it was rubbing on the seal so it will still leak with the new seal.

Oil seal-img_0219.jpg

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

Shouldn't still leak as the 7mm goes in further than a 9mm so uses a different part of the shaft. So if you still have an orginal 9mm in there perhaps it'll still be ok, even if worn.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Thanks guys,

I actually already have a seal in my parts pile, At least I think it's the right one.
    In my R12 parts list it lists the part numbers as 7703087059 or 7703087060 and the seals have a size of 26x15x9. This seal is number 7701348675 and the size is 26x15x7.
    A later parts manual might list this as a substitute.
    The 26x15 size is the same so it should fit the housing and the shaft and being a couple of mills shorter shouldn't make a difference. I better get the calipers out and measure the thickness of the selector shaft.

With just 4mm either side of the selector shaft it's going to be tight getting a drill in there but I have some picks for locks so might be able to get it out with one of them.
    Hopefully the selector shaft won't be worn where it was rubbing on the seal so it will still leak with the new seal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0219.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	105622

Cheers
    RTT
    There are two shaft sizes 13mm (early) & 15mm (late)

Don't worry about mucking around with drills etc, use my method in post #5 and you will have the seal out in about 30 seconds.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Thread Information