• Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Bustamif
  • 1 Post By geckoeng

Thread: Brake upgrades - Gordini etc

Fellow Frogger!

Default Brake upgrades - Gordini etc

After seeing a number of brake upgrades on AF where vented discs are used with heavy sliding calipers, I thought I would share this experience with those thinking of spending a lot of time and money on such an upgrade.

I chose to save some money, time and unsprung weight by staying with a basically standard setup. I only upgraded to new discs and a pair of new Mecaparts alloy calipers, no rear limiter and an A110 master cylinder. I removed the backing plate and added ducting to keep it cool.

Brake upgrades - Gordini etc-tri3f17.jpg

Although I was sure they would be more than enough on the road with my 1600 R8G, I was not sure if they would cut it on the track. Well last Friday at the Racespec Renault Track Day at SMSP I found they worked fine. I could brake as late or later than most of the late model cars with big brakes and ABS. The light weight Gordini plus the much lower flywheel effect from my brake setup worked fine, no brake fade at the end of the sessions after heaps of heavy late braking.

Advertisement
    bowie, lozenge, alpinesau and 1 others like this.

1000+ Posts

Yep!!

"Bustamif"
    That is what Frans and I have been trying to tell people on this sight for years. The only next step if you are into serious competition is the R16 Big Brakes set up which you need no more than on a 700kg car with 150-160HP.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.... !!!!

Thanks,
    Ray

PS Andrew took pics of your engine compartment on thR8 16/G looks very good.
    JohnW likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Are those new Discs Standard R8/R10 discs or bigger again?? What is so different about the Meca Parts Alloy calipers ?? Do they take the normal Pads?

Cheers Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Bustamif View Post
    After seeing a number of brake upgrades on AF where vented discs are used with heavy sliding calipers, I thought I would share this experience with those thinking of spending a lot of time and money on such an upgrade.

I chose to save some money, time and unsprung weight by staying with a basically standard setup. I only upgraded to new discs and a pair of new Mecaparts alloy calipers, no rear limiter and an A110 master cylinder. I removed the backing plate and added ducting to keep it cool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRI3F17.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	105369

Although I was sure they would be more than enough on the road with my 1600 R8G, I was not sure if they would cut it on the track. Well last Friday at the Racespec Renault Track Day at SMSP I found they worked fine. I could brake as late or later than most of the late model cars with big brakes and ABS. The light weight Gordini plus the much lower flywheel effect from my brake setup worked fine, no brake fade at the end of the sessions after heaps of heavy late braking.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Are those new Discs Standard R8/R10 discs or bigger again?? What is so different about the Meca Parts Alloy calipers ?? Do they take the normal Pads?

Cheers Phil
    Phil, the new discs are the same diameter but slightly thicker I believe, at 8 mm. I have taken the description below from the Mecaparts site. The calipers are stronger material and slightly different design making them stiffer. The pad design is the same as a standard pad. You don’t have to machine them and remove heaps of metal to fit 13-inch wheels, but I did have to take a tiny little bit off, so it’s always best to check wheel clearance.

You could get a similar result without spending the 524 Euro on part number MP2905 if you use standard calipers rebuilt carefully, new discs and a set of the Mintex Pads. The whole point is to make sure the package is right with good fresh dot 4 or better brake fluid and the harder Mintex pads.

“Power of braking practically equivalent to the traditional assembly large brakes R16 type. The kit includes
    - 1 right brand new caliper (1)
    - 1 left brand new caliper (1)
    - 2 braking discs 8mm, special cast iron.
    - 1 pads set (working from 0 to 700°C)
    - 2 rubber hoses (approved with the vehicle inspection).
    - 2 cans of brake fluid Racing 312° DOT 4.”

1000+ Posts

Tonight, I used my warm R8 to travel for a quarter of an hour on a Tassie country road to my local fire station to train my brigade troopers. This is a very familiar journey & though merely warm, the R8 has a loud exhaust. The merit of this is that the most erratic of animal night life species (wallabies & kangaroos most notably) are "sound swept" away well before I arrive. Other species which are not (possums & wombats) are more predictable in their movements.

In short, despite liking almost any other species over humans (blowflies are the main exception) & being very concerned not to kill anything, I can fang at night without much inhibition about killing things.

The road to my brigade's station has a number of crests & I am always watchful as to what might be on the other side & mentally preloaded to respond. Tonight it was a brush-tailed possum sitting in my lane enjoying residual heat soak from the bitumen.

S/he was not at all concerned by the music of the exhaust & a crash stop was in order. (First time I've had to do one for real for years.)

In a crash stop I push very hard indeed initially & then modulate lock-up if it eventually occurs. In this case, the stop (from an official 100kph) was drama free (it wasn't wet) until the last metre before fully stopped when the front left locked. No point in moving to threshold braking at that late stage. The possum ambled off in a mildly reproachful way.

The event reinforced three propositions.
    First, the standard brakes in an R8 are very very good indeed so long as one pushes hard.
    Second, the deletion of the dumb pressure restriction valve in the rear lines is hugely meritorious in delaying cum minimising cum eliminating front lock up.
    Third, even in the dry, there is considerable advantage in having superior tyres (in my case, 165/70-14 Conti PC2 fronts & 185/60-14 Dunlop FM800 rears).

On alternatives to the standard set-up: Club Djet members have just had an extended conversation about various brake alternatives & an alternative source to Mecaparts was given by one member, namely:

Disque de frein AV / AR Alpine A110

Worth a browse perhaps as they seemed to cost less than Mecaparts.

cheers! Peter

Thread Information