Water Leak in Fuego
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jo proffi

Thread: Water Leak in Fuego

Default Water Leak in Fuego

Hi all
    I'm thinking that the number of Fuego owners is dwindling now, but can anyone tell me if they know of a cause of water getting into the boot - specifically into the under-floor compartment where the wheel jack is kept. It's happened to 2 of my cars now and I can't seem to find the problem point.
    Thanks

Advertisement

COL

Only guessing here as its been 15 years since I have had a Fuego, I would start looking at the hatch seal and how well the lights seal.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

As Col says, I'd be starting with the rear lights. They clip into place, and I've noticed in the past that the leaf seal can be fragile and bend over on itself, or get snagged by the clip if not careful on installation, and now given the ravages of time, may have started to shrink.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I agree that the tail lights are the primary source of water ingress.
    I siliconed mine on and never had another problem with that area. It takes a massive amount of silicon to bridge the gap properly, and its one of those jobs where you need to be confident...Put a big bead of goop on, and offer the lens up to the bead just once.

The secondary way water comes in is by capillary action through the hatch seal rubber.
    I assume you've checked the seal is actually sealing!!

When new this was skinned neoprene or EVA???, but the skin wears out and it leaves a slightly porous material.
    Water can travel from one place higher up and drip at the lowest point.
    Forget trying to re-skin the rubber, it will end in failure and look like shite.
    If you remove the seal from the car and totally soak in scotch guard a couple of times, it will no longer flow water.
    I am a pessimist and assume that sooner or later water will find its way in...... so give it a way out.
    Drill an 8mm hole in the bottom of the jack well from outside the car on the inside most wall, and paint/fishoil the scar.
    Obviously don't drill a hole on the outside panel.
    I never had water or fumes or anything else find its way back up the hole into the void.

Jo
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Agree that the rear light is the most obvious one and with those I have found to have a moisture problem in that storage area, that has been the fix to re seal the unit to body area. One had a crack in the tail light letting water into the lens, quick fix for that was a couple of drain holes in the lower part of the housing allowing the accumulated water to drain outside the body shell.

Once resealed you never seem to have a problem, keep the hatch cover area clean of leaves and debris so it will drain. A loose fitting hatch or one that doesn't close properly usually makes itself apparent as it sucks in exhaust gas. Sometimes the tabs that support the lock mechanism rusts and the hatch doesn't lock properly. I did do an article at one time on how to re seal the exterior hatch surround to prevent water/rust in that area and also a quick and dirty fix with a rubber block between the hatch window and the mechanism tab preventing it from bending upwards, if you can't source an un-rusted replacement hatch.

Punching a hole in floor pans and the underfloor jack storage area is a quick and dirty fix when water is accumulating there, the punched hole helps drain the water away from the interior, and to not leach back (capillary action). I have used a large centre punch for that specific purpose when in a hurry between permanent fixes..

Sadly I checked the Jack area of Dianne's Fuego and found the tools stored there rusted when I was last in Tassie! and I hate rust on hand tools! cleaned them up as best I could and sealed them in plastic bags as a temporary measure! So I know your angst....

Ken

Thread Information