R8 window rubbers
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Simon

Thread: R8 window rubbers

Tadpole

Default R8 window rubbers

In the process of restoring an r8 and starting to put it back together. Anywhere in australia specifically the melbourne area that may sell window rubbers and door seals or do i have to go to someone like meca parts.
    Any guidance would be appreciated

Advertisement

Here in Sydney, we have two places that can approximate the originals without being exactly the same.
    One is Old Rubber Company in Penrith; the other if they are still in business is Grippy’s rubber.

The first one used to be Spectrum rubber in Dunheved and previously Peter Jackson’s old rubber company. When Peter owned the company I think he had distributors in some other states, not sure about now.

However, if you contact either of those they may or may not have the part number listings on hand like Spectrum and Peter Jackson used to.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Scott's Old Auto Rubber

Scott used to be in Oakleigh but is now online only

He has a good range, often the exact stuff, if not commonly something that is so close as to make no difference.

Have generally been happy with his stuff and his service, only one of his recommendations not working - and he told me that he was recommending it because it was the closest I was going to get, so I had been warned.

He knows what fits most cars commonly sold in Oz, so would be likely to be across Renault bits. He is primarily a Rover enthusiast, but has been helpful with 404 stuff

Best Wishes

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by stcos85 View Post
    In the process of restoring an r8 and starting to put it back together. Anywhere in australia specifically the melbourne area that may sell window rubbers and door seals or do i have to go to someone like meca parts.

"stcos85",
    I got most of the window rebuild material from, Scots Old Car Rubber, for Graeme's Gordini.

Graeme's R8 Gordini Rebuild !!!

The rear window surrounds (outers) came from Meca Parts. The best "arrow head" section for door seals came from Rare Spares. It was the small section, as Scots was a larger section. Ask for a sample, or take a sample. I used a bubble (small bubble) pinch weld around the doors as well, absolutely no wind noise when driving.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Quote Originally Posted by stcos85 View Post
    Been through all of that in trying to source locally, but at the end nothing really fitted well.

Ended up buying rubbers, bailey channels, front and rear window rubbers etc through Melun Retro Passion and some from Mecaparts and all fitted perfectly first time without any hassle.

Save yourself time and headache, and buy first time correctly.

Angelo

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    Been through all of that in trying to source locally, but at the end nothing really fitted well.

Ended up buying rubbers, bailey channels, front and rear window rubbers etc through Melun Retro Passion and some from Mecaparts and all fitted perfectly first time without any hassle.

Save yourself time and headache, and buy first time correctly.

Angelo
    I agree. I have never had luck with local product it is either just too big meaning slamming doors or just too small. Probably imperial sizes not metric. Windscreen rubber doesn't have the slot for chrome strip and so on. I have used local baily channel and pinch weld on R10's but that is all. I have ordered all new rubber for my Floride S overseas.

The front and rear screen rubbers for mine came from Mecaparts, the door seals from Neo Retro, the bailey channel was Pieces d'Origine Renault 12 (a perfect replacement, better than the cloth and metal core type), rear window scrapers from Neo Retro, front window scrapers were adapted HQ/J/X/Z Holden front door window from Rare Spares (the French type were too soft).

So far 20 years later everything has lasted, apart from the driver side adapted window scraper. This was the prototype that was going to be replaced after further finessing which was done on the LHS, which is still OK. The front and rear window seals fitted well, the strips fitting well, the corners sit well and the rubber hasn't cracked or deteriorated - I'd hope the current versions are the same quality rubber.

Also it may be worth trying a helpful (likely OS) Renault dealer. Renault did reproduce (or approve as genuine) the front and rear screen rubbers some 10 or so years ago. They may still be available, the part numbers being 05 55 595 400 for the front and 05 55 595 500 for the rear - even Ken at Caravelle had them in stock at a good price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 window rubbers-dsc06834.jpg   R8 window rubbers-dsc06838.jpg  
    Sunroof likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

Thanks for all the replies. I will try the main dealer for the front and rear screen rubbers. Scotts old rubber list a few items and i will go and have a look, if not i will get them from meca parts. Excuse my ignorance but what is a bailey channel

Itís the U shaped felt rubber that the window glass slides in the doors

Thanks 'stcos85' for bringing all that information out of the woodwork.

Great to hear of another R8 under restoration!

Good luck with the window work.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information