• Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By robmac
  • 2 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By dvr
  • 1 Post By Stuey

Thread: Car too good to be true?

Default Car too good to be true?

I had a look at a Renault Scenic at a car yard this evening.
    According to the odometer and log book the car was very very low mileage for its age.
    The paintwork was good and straight but it didn't feel right.

Advertisement

The engine was noisy / rattly under hard acceleration. Gear changes were not smooth.
    There were numerous wear marks on the seats and dash board. Ingrained dirt on hard to reach places in the engine bay. Interior panels comming away.
    I'm walking away disapointed.
    It did not feel like a low mileage car.

If it doesn't feel right to you it isn't the right car to buy.

Any Scenic is at least a 12 year old car, a lot can happen to a car in that time, regardless of if it is ramped and stamped (including an odo/book swap). There is the oil used, if it is the correct grade etc, and how the car is treated between servicing. And in these days of sealed for life components, anything can happen.

Also what constitutes low k's? 200K km on a 12 year old car is "below average".
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Oh I'm walking away from that car!

The log book and odometer were very very low. Servicing was every other year . That was all consistent but the wear on the drivers seat and parts of the dash board wasn't.

Oh well my current car is working it just isn't french.

Any other details on this vehicle to prevent some poor punter on AF's getting sucked in?
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

The mileage may be accurate but it doesn't feel right. There are too many wear marks.
    The paint is good and body straight. Plastic trim is showing marks. Possibly stored outside near the beach.

Lets just say the mileage is one tenth what you would expect for a car it's age.

Scenic 2’s apparently had an issue with the digital dash display. Ours didn’t but it appears common. Maybe the dash has been replaced at some stage?

People also treat cars differently. To some, they are just a means of conveyance and treated as such.

Anyhow, if in doubt as they say.
    KB

I congratulate on you making a decision based on your intuition.

I've purchased a number of used cars the same way and never lost out.

One of strategies is never to "want" are particular vehicle "too much".

And as soon as any suspicions are raised, either with the seller or the vehicle. Immediately walk away without any hesitation.

Good deals repeatedly turn up- train yourself to be immune to the hype.
    Dano and JohnW like this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

1000+ Posts

Hi IThompson
    I always buy on my gut feeling. Never been let down yet and now have more gut for more feeling
    Walk away because there are plenty of signs as you have said that give a true 'reading' of the condition. In fact being at a car yard I would expect they have removed others also
    Jaahn
    Alain and Stuey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Any other details on this vehicle to prevent some poor punter on AF's getting sucked in?
    I double Simon's sentiment.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

This shows the importance of an in person inspection.

Anyone on AF who sees a scenic on car sales with extreamly low mileage should regard the car as requiring caution.

I'm not an expert so I'm cautious about making any definitive statements.

In my opinion the level of marks and wear and tear suggest high usage. Not very very low mileage.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by IThompson View Post
    This shows the importance of an in person inspection.

Anyone on AF who sees a scenic on car sales with extreamly low mileage should regard the car as requiring caution.

I'm not an expert so I'm cautious about making any definitive statements.

In my opinion the level of marks and wear and tear suggest high usage. Not very very low mileage.
    Rough car, rough price !

Alain

High price because the odometer is displaying very very low mileage.
    Last edited by IThompson; 24th March 2018 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Typo

Maybe the odometer is on its second trip around...

Like Renault 8&10 said, these were prone to dash failure so the odometer could have been changed or reset at some time. But I think one is supposed to record the odometer reading at the time it is changed and record this in the log book. If you don't have a log book then tough titties.

The other thing to consider is that a lot of Scenics were family wagons and as you all know kids are pretty tough on any car's interior.
    I only transport grandkids now but 5 minutes after being in the car I've got food spills, muddy feet, wet soccer balls, etc. happening.
    And a lot of the trips are short runs to school, sport, the shops etc. so you don't clock-up a lot of kilometers.
    So the wear and tear inside may be indicative of a tough life, not necessarily high mileage.
    A single guy or girl if looking at a Renault would likely be looking at a Megane of Clio sport rather then an family wagon.

But caveat emptor applies with everything you buy, particularly used cars. If you don't feel good about it walk away.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Last year I wasted $500 flying to and from Melbourne from Sydney for a rare car the dealer assured me was pristine, as new etc etc. It wasn't. It didn't feel right to drive. When I got my torch out to inspect the paint it had also been fully resprayed. I consoled myself about the loss of the day and $500 with the "power" I felt telling the dealer no and to refund me the $1000 deposit I paid before getting my flight down. Better that than ending up with a lemon.
    jaahn likes this.

1000+ Posts

Default Walking away from a bargain !!

Hi
    I have gone interstate to buy a MH converted bus twice. Advertised on ebay ! The first one was Ok and as described and a good cheap old worker. Went on the train and the guy picked me up, went to his rural property and we test drove and did the deal. A leisurly trip home with a bit of sightseeing.

The second time I decided to go down before the bidding ended, so I guess my gut was a bit unsettled. Train and they picked me up and went to rural property to stay the night. I test drove it and was not convinced, pictures do not show everything. There was no deception and they had answered all my question and sent more pics, but bare facts and pictures are not the whole story. It was just what I wanted in one way but not in others. Poorly maintained and body a bit on the edge of needing work. I slept on it looked again in the morning and caught the train home Some one bought it, good luck to them.
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Scenic 2’s apparently had an issue with the digital dash display. Ours didn’t but it appears common. Maybe the dash has been replaced at some stage?

People also treat cars differently. To some, they are just a means of conveyance and treated as such.

Anyhow, if in doubt as they say.
    Correct. We have no idea the mileage on our Scenic!! It might be 60,000 km or rather more, as the display was replaced before we bought it and we don't know whether it was reset or started at zero. In our case the car's condition was good and we bought it, but best to walk away otherwise.

Ours (wife's) has been good for several years now, as per intuition.......

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

On a similar vein, my 2003 206 had done only 65,000km when I bought it a couple of years ago but when I viewed it, I went, 'oh yes' under my breath. It was obviously genuine km and the circumstances and condition tallied with the mileage without even looking at the receipts and books. Mind you it was premium priced too, but sometimes you think - well, is it worth paying a little extra for a premium example to avoid the hassle of more searching?

And no regrets, it's a really good car.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I reckon it is always best to buy secondhand at the top end of the market offerings. it's likely to be cheapest in the end and by far the most satisfying. Decide on the model and wait for the right one. If you look at several examples, the good one will be obvious when it arrives.

Not so easy with Scenics, but I think the odd one is still around at about and under 100,000-150,000 km.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

I was lucky I guess in that I had a few models in mind for a car just to get round in mainly on my own and for a bit of fun. I preferred an RS Clio, but good ones are rare in WA. I also didn't want a black car, but on condition I had to...
    JohnW likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information