Replacement seat belts for 2006 Megane 225
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Replacement seat belts for 2006 Megane 225

HI everyone,

First post onto this forum, but a long time owner of many Renaults- dont worry I have a good therapist.

Advertisement

I have just purchased a 2006 5 door Megane 225 which is pretty good condition but I would like to see If I can get some advice on a few things-

The timing belt was changed in 2011 and has since done 50,000km since then. Would I be right that I should have this changed now?

Also, the front seat belts are in very grubby condition, not frayed but look pretty grim- is there anywhere in Melbourne that anyone can recommend to replace them.

Finally any recommendations for a service garage in the South eastern suburbs.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Eskay

You could try here. Not sure what colour their “fluoro Orange” really is.

After Market Seat Belt Replacement Guide - APV Safety Products
    KB

Seat belts respond well to cleaning. Itís just body oils

Pull them out to full extension and hold with a peg - and feed it all into a bucket of hot water with clothes washing detergent. Scrub and soak.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Eskay View Post

The timing belt was changed in 2011 and has since done 50,000km since then. Would I be right that I should have this changed now?

Eskay
    Presuming the timing belt spec is 4years/100,000kms as in other Renaults, yes, it would be a very good idea to replace the belt AND the idlers & tensioner asap.

Look back at a couple of recent threads about this subject. They have plastic pulleys, one of mine was cracked at 6-7 years and 60,000 kms. The belts are fine to run the distance, in my opinion, but the pulleys are likely to be the problem, and if one shatters, suddenly you have "engine salad".

I think the genuine replacements are fine if replaced at reasonable intervals, but being the sort of vehicle a Megane 225 is, you might like to investigate the Gates kits with steel pulleys. I obtained a kit through Engine Dynamics in UK, there is a thread on this not too long ago.

(Mine is a 2004 Megane Scenic 2.0 litre petrol - possibly similar basic engine - F4R ??)

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Cleaning seat belts the Mobil way as good as many

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...your-seatbelts

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Cleaning seat belts the Mobil way as good as many

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...your-seatbelts
    This procedure is probably not advisable. Many current seat belts have pre-tensioners and switches on the buckles.

I think the risk of triggering pre-tensioners and damaging buckles switches may outweigh the benefits of comprehensively cleaned seat belt webbing.

Kinda obvious for an AF "expert" I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    This procedure is probably not advisable. Many current seat belts have pre-tensioners and switches on the buckles.

I think the risk of triggering pre-tensioners and damaging buckles switches may outweigh the benefits of comprehensively cleaned seat belt webbing.
    Even with the old fuego with bog standard inertia reels, The mechanism always good a bit trigger happy after being removed.
    Never did work out why.
    I agree, not worth the bother.

Anyway, the grubby bit can usually be pulled outside the car and the door shut over it, whereby a bit of detergent and sensitive use of a pressure washer can restore them to like new.
    Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 20th March 2018 at 03:16 PM.

Thread Information