A110 Steering Wheel Hub Size Question
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! nauli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    155

    Default A110 Steering Wheel Hub Size Question

    I'm going for a slightly larger steering wheel on my A110, but I believe that there are two different shaft diameters for the steering column shaft...18mm or 20mm?
    Mine appears to be the smaller diameter. I measured it at the top of the shaft and it appears to be about 17-18mm, but certainly not 20. But I assume they are tapered, so my question is does the correct size refer to the top measurement when sourcing a hub?

    Advertisement
    1969 Alpine A110
    2016 Ford Focus RS
    2012 Nissan Pathfinder (these have a Renault engine)

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,158

    Default

    I think you also need to consider the splines - number of; coarse or fine.

    There is a difference between R8 and R10 columns and hence they need a different hub.
    I suspect you have an R8 column, but you would need to check - assuming you are looking to buy or change hubs.

    Edit - I re-read your post in greater detail. I would think the diameter would refer to the thickest part of the shaft. Could you not just use your existing hub and transfer the new wheel onto it? Those sports wheels mostly use a pretty universal 6 screw bolt pattern.
    KB


  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! nauli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I think you also need to consider the splines - number of; coarse or fine.

    There is a difference between R8 and R10 columns and hence they need a different hub.
    I suspect you have an R8 column, but you would need to check - assuming you are looking to buy or change hubs.

    Edit - I re-read your post in greater detail. I would think the diameter would refer to the thickest part of the shaft. Could you not just use your existing hub and transfer the new wheel onto it? Those sports wheels mostly use a pretty universal 6 screw bolt pattern.
    Re your edit....yes indeed, the plan was to use the existing hub, which theoretically is universal....BUT...it appears not to be strictly so. I made all the appropriate measurements....the new wheel has the universal 60mm centre but it looks like my hub is probably about 61! Furthermore only 4 of the 6 mounting holes line up correctly...the other two are slightly off centre. I noted that the 6 holes on the current wheel appear to have been made slightly eccentric to fit the (dodgy?) hub. So therein lies the issue!
    The new wheel probably can be massage-engineered to fit, but I would prefer a perfect fit...
    1969 Alpine A110
    2016 Ford Focus RS
    2012 Nissan Pathfinder (these have a Renault engine)

  4. #4
    COL
    COL is offline
    A110 COL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Van Diemen's Land
    Posts
    3,590

    Default

    Hi Nauli

    This link may help you with the sport steering wheel PCD's

    Steering Wheel Hub Patterns | GTSparkplugs

    As far as Renault steering column spines sizes go R10, R12, R15, R17, Feugo are all the same size. The R8 steering column is larger.

    I'm not exactly sure of what the exact measurements are.
    Regards Col

    1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

    http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! nauli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi Nauli

    This link may help you with the sport steering wheel PCD's

    Steering Wheel Hub Patterns | GTSparkplugs

    As far as Renault steering column spines sizes go R10, R12, R15, R17, Feugo are all the same size. The R8 steering column is larger.

    I'm not exactly sure of what the exact measurements are.
    Thanks Col....I think the way forward will be to drill a fresh set of mounting holes in the existing boss....
    Both my old and new wheels are 74mm PCD, but (for reasons unknown) the current boss is very slightly different.
    1969 Alpine A110
    2016 Ford Focus RS
    2012 Nissan Pathfinder (these have a Renault engine)

  6. #6
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    9,975

    Default

    I'd go and see Geckoeng....
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! nauli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I'd go and see Geckoeng....
    I've already quizzed Ray! But I have a plan to try....
    1969 Alpine A110
    2016 Ford Focus RS
    2012 Nissan Pathfinder (these have a Renault engine)

  8. #8
    COL
    COL is offline
    A110 COL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Van Diemen's Land
    Posts
    3,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nauli View Post
    Thanks Col....I think the way forward will be to drill a fresh set of mounting holes in the existing boss....
    Both my old and new wheels are 74mm PCD, but (for reasons unknown) the current boss is very slightly different.
    That sounds like a plan, just drill and tap them in between the existing holes.

    There are many bosses that have both the 70mm and 74mm PCD.

    I made my own adapter https://alpine-a110.weebly.com/steer...k-release.html
    Regards Col

    1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

    http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! nauli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Cheers Col....will see how it goes!
    1969 Alpine A110
    2016 Ford Focus RS
    2012 Nissan Pathfinder (these have a Renault engine)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •