R8/10 front hub flange dimeter
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By renault8&10

Thread: R8/10 front hub flange dimeter

Fellow Frogger!

Default R8/10 front hub flange dimeter

Is there any variation in the diameter of the front hub flanges on R8's and 10's? I'm putting my brakes on and on the front I've got Clio calipers the same as Kevin's and BrettR's.

On mine the edge of the caliper holders are interfering with the edge of the hub flange, neither of the other two seem to have this problem. I have looked at both my sets of front hubs and they seem to be the same, about 178mm.

Advertisement

Any ideas? I can't really modify the brake parts (the engineer won't like that) but I can shave down the hub flange 1 or 2mm, it'll just involve a largish lathe.

COL

I wouldn't be taking any material off the outside of the flange especially if you are staying with the 3 x 150 mm PCD.

Maybe the caliper holder bracket you have fabricated has the holder to close to the hub.

This is only my worth
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

I didn't make these brackets, these came as part of a kit from Europe. I figured it would be easier then making my own as this is a common conversion.

COL

Put up some pics of the brackets.

I have a pair of alloy brackets here that were made for the R16 brake conversion that need a little modification to fit properly. I also have another pair of alloy brackets for an R16 brake conversion that fit properly.

Maybe the person that made you brackets may have got things a little out of spec.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Parts book PR700 for R8 (1132, 1136 although I guess it should also cover 1130) only shows one part number for the flange - 08 33 096 600

Parts book PR832 for R10 (1190) shows the same part number so that would suggest they were not altered between the models.

Edit - just for completeness I checked the R1135 book in case you may have obtained some Gordini bits via John Kitchen and your purchase of his old R10, but the relevant R1135 also shows the same part number as above too, so the Gordini’s the same too.

I guess your options may be to go back and remake the aluminium bracket; shave 1-2mm off the outer edge of the flange; or could you redrill and tap the bracket further out and use a bigger bolt (if there is enough meat to accomodate).

I need my car mobile for the next week or so (panelbeater visit pending) but after that you could come over and we could pull one side off for you to measure and compare if you like?
    Last edited by renault8&10; 4th March 2018 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Added R1135 info
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

I'd prefer to not have to remake the brackets as I didn't make these ones, they came from Jose in Spain. I've sent him an email.

I'll have to check the other side to see if it's the same. Then I may need to do a compare

Sent from my Nexus 6P using aussiefrogs mobile app

He seems quite genuine in my emails with him, so maybe he could send you another pair exchange if you ask.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Put up some pics of the brackets.

I have a pair of alloy brackets here that were made for the R16 brake conversion that need a little modification to fit properly. I also have another pair of alloy brackets for an R16 brake conversion that fit properly.

Maybe the person that made you brackets may have got things a little out of spec.
    The brackets can be seen in either brettr’s or my resto threads. In a pic, they will look identical to ours. Perhaps the holes on c.lees were drilled a few mm off as you say?
    KB

COL

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    The brackets can be seen in either brettr’s or my resto threads. In a pic, they will look identical to ours. Perhaps the holes on c.lees were drilled a few mm off as you say?
    I found them when looking through Brett's R8 upgrade thread.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

No worries. Page 6 on mine, about page 9 on Brett’s- I’m a frequent visitor!
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

They were CNC machined so the holes should be correct. I did have to relieve the brackets a little to clear the bend in the uprights.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by c.lees View Post
    They were CNC machined so the holes should be correct. I did have to relieve the brackets a little to clear the bend in the uprights.

There is no doubt several different people making these brackets so no doubt there are differences in tolerance and design as well.

The two pairs of R16 caliper bracket holders that I have here are slightly different in design.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

COL, c.lees bought his brackets off the same seller that Brettr and I did, albeit all three would have bought them at different times, so possibly from three separate batches.

It appears Brett’s and mine fit OK (although I am now a little suspicious of a slight grumbling I thought was a bearing noise) - I knew that I potentially damaged a bearing installing them. Given it just gets pushed in and out of the garage for now, I was prepared to push on and fix it closer to getting it on the road.
    KB

COL

COL, c.lees bought his brackets off the same seller that Brettr and I did, albeit all three would have bought them at different times, so possibly from three separate batches.

It appears Brett’s and mine fit OK (although I am now a little suspicious of a slight grumbling I thought was a bearing noise) - I knew that I potentially damaged a bearing installing them. Given it just gets pushed in and out of the garage for now, I was prepared to push on and fix it closer to getting it on the road.
    Not sure but there must be a simple answer to why they are slightly different, I assume the brackets self locate and are a neat fit on the axle carrier so there would be no way to adjust for a bit more clearance.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

The brackets are held on by four bolts on the upright with the std dust cover removed - uses the same bolt holes. In that sense, it self locates.
    The caliper holder bolts to it with two side bolts.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Lucky I painted them, you can see exactly where the issue is.

I can verify the other side is the same.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by c.lees; 4th March 2018 at 09:35 PM.

I’d grind it with a dremel in those two spots, and repaint em!

Looks like it only needs a quick clean up. Just make the curve a bit steeper.
    JohnW likes this.
    KB

COL

The brackets are held on by four bolts on the upright with the std dust cover removed - uses the same bolt holes. In that sense, it self locates.
    The caliper holder bolts to it with two side bolts.
    Thats exactly the same method as the R16 brake upgrade
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Thread Information