• Register
  • Help
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Mawson
  • 3 Post By Mawson

Thread: Rip Van Floride

Tadpole

Default Rip Van Floride

I thought I should start a new thread for the restoration of my Floride. If you see my first attempt at posting You'll see that it is the Yornup Floride that has sat in a barn since 1981.
    Having got it home I stripped the car to every last nut and bolt. Most of the bolts through the floor were seized and snapped off quite quickly. The shafts through the top 'A' arms were really seized in. We made a custom extraction tool that should have pushed the bolt out by winding a smaller bolt in and pushing it. The tool was as heavy a a railway line. And we bent it! In the end we took advise found elsewhere here and drilled them out. It took several drills, all day and lots of coffee. We had to open the shed door to let the blue funk out.
    Having stripped the car we put it outside and Jamie from Best Blast in Bunbury came over and cleaned it up. He did an excellent job and also gave some good advise.
    Back in the shed it was obvious that the rust was worse than first appeared. No surprises there. The front floor was like granny's pincushion and there were splits around all the seat mounts. The car next became flawless, er, I mean floorless. It's much easier to make a new floor than patching the old one. So for the last month I have made new cross-members and cut the floor panels ready to run through the bead roller before installing. Added bracing using square tube which is stronger than the original angle and have welded a few patches where I have cut out some rust.
    The car has had a minor shunt at the front with no major damage but the front panel has been re-welded on to the front with a gas welder and lots of bog (over a centimetre in places) to cover the bad panel beating. After unsuccessfully trying to straighten it out I decided to cut the front off and do the job properly. The panel in now reasonably straight and I have to MIG weld on a few pieces where the old gas welding was cut away before putting it back in.
    Although the body is very straight it does have a few minor dents and creases ( for instance, around the bumper mounts holes) I've spent a few hours with a slap file and dolly and these are all now within a millimetre or so which I feel is good enough. I've also welded up a quite a few bolt holes which don't seem to have any purpose.
    Over the next few weeks I'm hoping to finish the body work ready to re-install the mechanicals.
    I've have all the brakes rebuilt by Perth Brake Parts and have ordered all the bushings, ball joints etc. from Renkens Old Timer Service.

Advertisement

Rip Van Floride-origional-side-view.jpgRip Van Floride-blasting-progress.jpgRip Van Floride-front-stripped.jpgRip Van Floride-new-crossmember.jpgRip Van Floride-front-cut-away.jpg
    bowie, Sunroof, FIVEDOOR and 2 others like this.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

That's some effort for an old rusty Floride.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Nice work and no mucking around with it. 👍

Sent from my Moto G Play using aussiefrogs mobile app
    ďListen very carefully, I shall say this only once.Ē Cheers. John

Tadpole

So, hereís part two of the never ending story.
    Since my earlier post I have finished welding in the new floor and have run a bead of seam seal over the welds just to tidy them up before painting. Iíve treated any suspect rust with Fertan. Apparently itís what they use on submarines. Iíve used it many over the years and it seems to work well. Iíve never had any rust come through later.
    The front boot now also has its new floor complete with a battery tray. As they are rather light at the front a few batteries will help hold everything down at highway speeds.
    The front suspension has been rebuilt and installed. The bottom bushings from Renkens were found to have bolt holes of 15.7 mm instead of 16 mm so we had to ream them out. Similarly the top bushings had an outside diameter that was too big and they had to be turned down in order to press them into the ĎAí arms. Steph Brayley kindly supplied a top arm to replace a damaged one and also a front sway bar that was missing. On to the rear. No big dramas except that the transmission mounts didnít fit. Renkens assured me that they were correct and that they needed to stretch. I ended up making adaptor plates as the bolt holes were 25 mm different to the existing ones. They are now a perfect and safe fit. Has anybody else had this problem?
    This car had flared wheel arches. They were done by somebody with a pair of pliers and a hammer and lots of filler over the top, Having cleaned them back I have been gradually heat shrinking them back into shape and next will work on them with the slap file to finish off.
    The seats were a real mess but I have a very nice pair of high backed buckets to replace them. John Van Halteren kindly gave me some runners that I have adapted to give me the right height and travel.
    Next jobs are to fill the imperfections in the body and get a coat of primer on it, Then on to the wiring. A previous owner clearly had a surplus of red wire, and they used it lavishly! A bit of tidying, and I thought Iíd add a handbrake waring light and hazard flashers. Possibly a newer fuse box with blade fuses.
    Thanks also to Ray Watson for lots of good advise.
    A few items I need if anybody can help me; The heater vent pipes that go up to the windscreen, a sill panel chrome trim, some nice chrome trim to add to the inside of the doors when they are re-upholstered.
    Thatís all for now, I need to get back in the shed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rip Van Floride-floor-j.jpg   Rip Van Floride-front-boot-floor-j.jpg   Rip Van Floride-new-crossmember.jpg  
    geckoeng, Paul T and Shoji like this.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

That car was to far gone and to expensive when i saw it.
    So that's some effort to get it back to where you have already.
    Sorry I cant help with those parts, you're about six months late on the heater ducts as someone had just claimed them and even I need a sill trim.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Thread Information