R17 Resto attempt
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default R17 Resto attempt

This is a first post.
    I have a R17 back burner project and am looking to attempt a rebuild on the 807 motor. I haven't rebuilt a motor before so looking for supplier information. Just wondering where in Australia is the best place to buy things like engine bearings and other rebuild bits? Or maybe offshore is better? No doubt other questions will come up, but I guess there is no point asking in advance about them.

Advertisement

Thanks
    Andy

Welcome 1972Ren to AF.
    There are bearings in Australia for some of the engine. Gekoeng might comment here, as he is doing my 807 and he mentioned that he gets some Melbourne. Other rebuild parts come from Mecaparts, etc. Have a look at post #5 on
    French Car Part Shops
    Hope this helps in another cool R17 to get back on our roads!
    Have got a pic of your 17?
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

COL

I get my spare parts from all over the place, some are local, some national and also international.

I have bought lots of parts off various Ebay sites, but find there is less stuff available nowadays.

I find the best way is just Google the parts you are after if buying off the net.

Not sure what there is in local supplies as I have not bought for awhile as I have my own stash of spare parts that I have been collecting over many years.

Also welcome to Aussiefrogs.

Just post your questions and someone here will answer them, usually within 12 hours. There is also lots of past threads on the 807 series of engines if you use the search function.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

How's the rest of the car?

Engine bits are relatively easy to source, but body bits are difficult. Plastic bits, rubber bits and so on.

You also need to open your engine first and see what's in there so you can ascertain what you can and can not use before you buy.

If all checks out, I would suggest a piston and liner kit from Mecaparts. Those guys know their stuff and you don't need to worry about choice because they have the entire range to choose from.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 21st February 2018 at 10:58 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks. The car is stored out in a country shed, and the motor has been under the bench in my garage for some time So I am going to focus on that for now. There are some good leads there so thanks for that, and I will try to find old 807 thrads here rather than try to make a new one.

Andy

Check corrosion in your 807 where liners seat on the block
    Corrosion here can write off the block.

Absolutely.

Just as corrosion coming from inside boxed sections of the chassis, hence my suggestion above.

You might find yourself with a fresh new engine waiting for years for the rest of the car to be finished.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Check corrosion in your 807 where liners seat on the block
    Corrosion here can write off the block.
    Apologies for a different point of view again. I would like to point out to 1972Ren that I have managed to re-use the corroded 807 blocks. Have a look at this thread 807 Competition motor. and see what you can do if required.

To clean and maybe make the hole bigger so that you get to clean metal will help and if you do it so that the hole forms a bucket to assist in the epoxy not coming out ( with a Dremel) will revive the block. The sleeves will push it down and the temp there is only about 80 deg C and the pressure cannot be more than 15psi before it escapes through the pressure cap.

Regards, Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Hi there Andy.
    Certainly hope your oil pump rotor at the bottom of the oil pump drive is free and turns easily. Mine was seized solid, took me a weeks work to free it!!!
    If it is get back to me and I'll tell you how to free it.
    All I can say you had better have a lot of patience !!!!
    Cheers
    Phil
    R17 Resto attempt-dscn1961_li.jpgR17 Resto attempt-dscn1667.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Ren View Post
    This is a first post.
    I have a R17 back burner project and am looking to attempt a rebuild on the 807 motor. I haven't rebuilt a motor before so looking for supplier information. Just wondering where in Australia is the best place to buy things like engine bearings and other rebuild bits? Or maybe offshore is better? No doubt other questions will come up, but I guess there is no point asking in advance about them.

Thanks
    Andy

Fellow Frogger!

Frans & R8. Thanks very much for the information. I will bear that in mind during the project. Thanks, Andy.

Thread Information