Crossflow with a strange id plate
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Crossflow with a strange id plate

Hi there, new member from UK

Advertisement

I have just started a Europa restoration project and I'm hoping this would be a good place for some engine advice. My car is a federal type 65 which I shipped back home, the car is a terrible mess at the moment. It has it's original engine, an 821-30 but I have just managed to get a crossflow 807 engine off of ebay. The person that sold it to me had no history for the engine as it was part of a job lot of engines he had bought some time ago.

The only identity number is 807 704, I've been asking around but no one seems to know what it is. I can't imagine it's anything other than a standard engine, I haven't had the head off yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crossflow with a strange id plate-s-l1622.jpg   Crossflow with a strange id plate-s-l1644.jpg   Crossflow with a strange id plate-s-l16011.jpg   Crossflow with a strange id plate-20180217_164009.jpg  

Given the way the Carby is fitted this would appear to be off a R16 but they're 807-03 or 807-06 according to the numbers I have.
    It's been a while since I had my R16's but the engine mounts don't look to be for a 16 either.
    A R15TS or R17TL has the Weber carb but it would be fitted the other way round and they're 807-10, 807-11.
    Encyclopedia Renaultica (Simon) will probably have the answer.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

It's the later type of engine ID tag. It effectively translates to 807-04, originally fitted to a Renault 16TS, 1565cc, 8.6:1 compression.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

Thank you, as I say I wasn't expecting it to be anything special, just the plate didn't make much sense to me. The important thing for me is the position of the engine mounts for my build. So presumably the compression can be raised by using domed pistons from Mecapart etc..

Thread Information