information on engine - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: information on engine

Tadpole

Thanks for the interest members. Looks like the situation is not too good. I doubt the extractors are well made. Would it be of any value to take off the head and photo the internals? I am still wondering whether to scrap it or offer it on Ebay as is.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Wolster View Post
    Thanks for the interest members. Looks like the situation is not too good. I doubt the extractors are well made. Would it be of any value to take off the head and photo the internals? I am still wondering whether to scrap it or offer it on Ebay as is.
    Bolt it down, fire it up and see what it runs like. You'll never know if you don't give it a go.......
    It's another lovely day! Again!

I've no idea what a motor is worth for scrap, and I'm no potential customer, but it would be nice to see it saved, even if just for parts.

A crank, if in spec and not on its last undersize, must be getting rare. A potential user should make sure it is either R4 or 750/Dauphine, although from the extractors, I'd say it was last installed in a 750/Dauphine.

Do the Austin 7 crowd(?) still covet the Renault con rods?

The block, does it have any other numbers stamped on the flat boss adjacent to the fuel pump? As before, the number stamped where the ID plate has been removed is bogus. If there is no number adjacent the fuel pump, it could be a factory replacement block Ė especially if there are no remnants of rivets in the holes where the ID plate should be.

The head I'm guessing may be like swiss cheese from looking at what appears to be extra studs for the extractors.

Overall, it would be nice to think it is some sort of factory authorised blueprint rebuild from a new block, using every hot bit in the period Renault parts catalogue, with period fabricated extractors. And then installed in a Dauphine for some Renault Australia works competition action.Perhaps it was, perhaps not.........
    jo proffi, JohnW, jaahn and 1 others like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I just throw this in. As many people know these engines(and later ones too) were also supplied as industrial engines. In the USA under the brand of Continental, I believe. I have worked on one here fitted in a Torro golf course mower years ago.
    My point being, that number may be as supplied by a different equipment manufacturer who had engines from Renault without the usual tags or removed them. Just a thought. The exhaust may also be put on to suit an application.

That engine may have been repurposed after the original use was finished or sold off then etc. Could be still good as it been sealed roughtly and still cranks ok. Be silly to scrap it in any case. Gumtree may be better than Ebay to advertise it ?? As well as AF of course. As a pig in a poke it is not worth too much IMHO. But scrap is worth nothing currently. Not worth too much even after it comes back as a cheap new car !!!
    Jaahn
    I would be hopeing, as Simon does, for a closet factory race prototype engine but ???
    Last edited by jaahn; 22nd February 2018 at 09:11 AM.
    Sunroof and bowie like this.

Tadpole

Thanks everyone, I believe the engine will now have a new home that is not the scrap metal bin this time. I really did not want to scrap it.
    jaahn likes this.

Well, it is in my garage now... More photos attached.

There never was an ID plate under the fuel pump and there are no rivet holes there.

it has 6 mm valves, vertical. The curved inlet manifold has a small "G" indented in it. The painted number on the ID plate area by the camshaft pulley looks OLD.

It has a 6-spring clutch pressure plate and a fine-spline driven plate - odd. I can't do more for a few weeks but will get to it perhaps in April.

Looks like it came from Sydney judging by the generator reconditioner's sticker.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails information on engine-dg-maybe-exhaust-side.jpg   information on engine-dg-maybe-spark-plug-side.jpg   information on engine-dg-maybe-6-mm-valve-gear.jpg   information on engine-dg-maybe-9806846.jpg  
    Last edited by JohnW; 6th March 2018 at 06:46 PM.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

There's something I never expected, and shows the value of decent pictures. The number isn't stamped into the block at all, it is the Renault part number for an Estafette block.
    jaahn, Sunroof and Kim Luck like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    There's something I never expected, and shows the value of decent pictures. The number isn't stamped into the block at all, it is the Renault part number for an Estafette block.
    Good heavens!! That might explain the fine spline clutch plate too? That means I have a very rare bit of Renault memorabilia for Australia!!

We'll see when I get to it, but it looks as if the lock tags on the two rocker shaft locating bolts have never been touched!

Once again Simon, many thanks.
    Sunroof likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Forgot to ask you Simon, which way would an Estafette engine spin? I guess this probably never WAS an Estafette engine though....

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

*inserts jokes about truck engine powered things*

That's freekin cool.

What a mystery

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

1000+ Posts

Great work saving it and finally the mystery is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    which way would an Estafette engine spin? I guess this probably never WAS an Estafette engine though....
    Technically the motor should run in the same direction of a Dauphine, and the clutch should be a coarse 10-spline type as it pre-dates the 20-spline clutch.

Given the nice support frame, it could have been built for service training by a dealer. Or the parts donated to a school or training institute to provide experience of other types of motors.

I'm leaning towards the motor being a Dead Stock Special. Potentially something built from unsaleable parts, due to incorrect parts orders or supplies - not difficult given the Renault part numbering system! But it may also have an unused piston liner set......
    JohnW likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

It does look to me as if the head hasn't been off. I've just measured it, thickness is 94.4 mm and the bottom flange bit below the pushrod tubes looks 'thick', which is not always the case with old Ventoux engines!

The frame is just what was knocked up to transport it. Nothing special.

Renault Australia, in the day, carried a pretty good range of stock, including replacement engines/blocks etc. I also suspect that is one of the things that was never needed. Over time, local dealers had carte blanche to dispose of stuff quite cheaply (bargains I missed, like R12 mag wheels for $15 each at Carl Drummond Motors....).

It may be the clutch has never spun of course - fine splines are the last things I expected to see. What gearbox would you mate this engine too that did NOT have the coarse splines. They generator has been overhauled and has a sparkie's sticker on it. The starter is VERY clean. You might be right that it hasn't been used. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, I'll pull it down in April and will post again then. Unused sleeves/pistons would be nice.

Thanks again.
    Shoji, Kim Luck, bowie and 1 others like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information