Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Fordman
  • 2 Post By Fordman
  • 2 Post By Fordman
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 3 Post By Fordman

Thread: Scenic I - Headlining Removal

Default Scenic I - Headlining Removal

Has anyone removed the headlining from a Scenic Series 1, or seen it done?
    I just want to know if the headlining panel is attached to the roof by clips, or is is glued?
    Haynes manual says its clipped, but it feels like it might be attached with a soft, tacky glue - I don't want to force it, though it feels like it will peel away with a bit of steady pressure.
    Have removed all trim, grab handles, lamps, etc, to release the headlining panel - and I will get it out, but if someone has seen it done, I could use a clue for a bit of confidence.

Just for a laugh, here's a photo - looking forward - fabric basically being held up by the courtesy lamp. No, I haven't been driving it like this, the car has been in storage for 18 months - it was just starting to peel back then, but now the fabric has completely separated except at the edges for some reason. Whether I try to repair it myself, or take it to a trimmer, I am still happy to remove & install myself for cost and/or quality reasons.

Scenic I - Headlining Removal-p1100741_reduced.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)
    2003 BA wagon LPG (For Sale)

1000+ Posts

Trimmer did mine for about $265 I think. Did a good job and didn't seem as if he broke off any plastic clips. All went back neatly.

Funny, we've a Series II just starting the same thing.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

OK, found a previous AF thread on Google - although I couldn't find one earlier on the AF search (didn't quite get the right search word).

Anyway, Paul1289 has posted an excellent coverage of this job in March 2016, in this thread:
    2003 Renault Scenic Roof Lining

This has all the info I need, thanks Paul1289.

Kenfuego likes this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

I've just had the roof lining of my 2007 Megane 2 sedan relined by a company called 'Repair Bull' for $270. They came to my house and did a good job in an hour or so. Like Sunroof's trimmer, they didn't seem to break any of the plastic fastenings. I'm told that there are about six companies around Brisbane who do this work, so presumably they will be easy to find elsewhere
    This has all the info I need, thanks Paul1289.

[/QUOTE]

Something about poor glues etc here! Our Xantia did the same at about 15 years. Our first Scenic II is doing it at 14 years.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I've had the C5 headlining replaced quotes from $260 plus in Brisbane. So removed it my self had a good trimmer on the Sunny Coast come and collect and recover as well as the 2 front screen panels $210. Fitted myself beautiful can't complain other than he only held one colour of grey but I dont notice its any lighter than origin.

Shop around..

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Something about poor glues etc here! Our Xantia did the same at about 15 years. Our first Scenic II is doing it at 14 years.
    Unfortunately, yes. Not restricted to French cars, common for BA Falcons, and many others I believe. My BA wagon was easily enough repaired as it was at the edges, and was repaired with spray contact adhesive.

Planned obsolescence, or - they just don't make them like they used to!

Update: I have removed the panel from the Scenic, and it is currently at a trimmer awaiting relining with new fabric/foam material, at cost $200.
    dimistyle and Kenfuego like this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

I've just been quoted $300 for the full replacement for the Scenic II roof fabric in Perth. The trimmer reckoned it had done well for 12-15 years. I weakened when it came to removing the moulding that it is falling off.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Had the liner replaced a few years back by a motor trimmer (not the Scenic but another car that was sagging).
    The reason it sags is the foam (sponge) backing deteriorates so there's nothing left to hold the cloth to the former.
    As others have mentioned, motor trimmers are relatively cheap and (if they're any good) will do a job that will last a long time.
    A lot don't even bother to remove the liner from the car. They remove anything that's in the way like courtesy lights, grab handles, sunvisors, etc. They just strip off the cloth and re-glue the foam and liner in-situ. Contact adhesive 'grabs' pretty quickly if used correctly so can overcome gravity. The downside is that one has to be very careful that the overspray doesn't get on the surrounding trim.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

1000+ Posts

Yep as R T T says it is the foam that rots and crumbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    Update: I have removed the panel from the Scenic, and it is currently at a trimmer awaiting relining with new fabric/foam material, at cost $200.
    Trimmer has completed the job. and looks good. He folded over the front and rear edge, rather than cut it flush, for extra strength.
    I am pleased I have done the removal myself, I now know what is behind all that stuff, and I think the trim job out of the car is better.
    Yes, it is in the dining room at the moment, where else would one put a car part like this?

Scenic I - Headlining Removal-p1100752_red.jpgScenic I - Headlining Removal-p1100758_red.jpgScenic I - Headlining Removal-p1100760_red.jpgScenic I - Headlining Removal-p1100761_red.jpg

New lining fitted:
    Scenic I - Headlining Removal-p1100775_red.jpgScenic I - Headlining Removal-p1100777_red.jpgScenic I - Headlining Removal-p1100778_red.jpg
    Kenfuego and dimistyle like this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Looks really good!
    Fordman likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Default Job completed!

After a few days of distractions, I have replaced the panel, and it looks like a new one!
    It probably didn't require to be done, but I made an attempt to repair the torn top (paper) lining of the panel where it had been glued to the roof, if for no other reason than it makes me feel better.
    The adhesive I used to attach panel to roof was Sikaflex 227, nearly used all of a 300ml cartridge. Sika list it as the correct one for the job, as far as I could see.
    I realized during the job, that the adhesive is probably as much to stop roof drumming as much as to hold up the inner panel. I applied the adhesive in a different pattern to pick up as much of the original untorn surface as possible, but over the same areas. I also applied it to the panel before fitment, as I thought it would be easier than doing it overhead, seems to have worked ok. After initial installation, after attaching the 4 grab handles to hold up the panel, I applied pressure over the glued areas just with palms of my hands, it seemed to attach very well.

Then took my time reattaching everything, and it is all good, very happy with the job.

Panel sort of repaired and adhesive just applied:
    Scenic I - Headlining Removal-p1100786_red.jpg
    Completed installation:
    Scenic I - Headlining Removal-p1100789_red.jpg
    Detail of rear Right Hand corner:
    Scenic I - Headlining Removal-p1100795_red.jpg

Cheers.
    dimistyle, JohnW and Sunroof like this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)