Is It Florde or Caravelle ?????
  • Register
  • Help

Default Is It Florde or Caravelle ?????

I know there were overlaps of the model, so please enlighten me ....... !!!!!

John ?? I personally do not like the colour scheme, but it was not mine, I think it is an ordinary Caravelle, that has been made to look like an earlier Floride S. Position of fuel tank and radiator ????

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions...assic-auction/

Advertisement
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

I think it's a Floride S based on the position of the coolant bottle. It's a bit of a bitsa actually but I quite like the colour scheme and livery. If it were a Caravelle the side windows wouldn't fit the Floride hard top, conveniently we can't see the car with the windows up.

PS. I also like the even door gaps.

PS+1. Point for improvement. The front windscreen is devoid of it's stainless windscreen trim, this of course indicates the wrong rubber has been fitted and the trim won't go in.
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 5th February 2018 at 09:14 PM.

It gets covered in this thread, #1027 onwards,

Floride Caravelle info

It's effectively a soft-top/ removable hardtop version of the hardtop Caravelle. R1131 in type number, being the 956cc engine on the R8 floorpan and configuration with 4-wheel discs. Although given that the R1131 Floride S/Caravelle came onto the market first, it was probably the R8 that was based on the R1131 :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I think it's a Floride S based on the position of the coolant bottle. It's a bit of a bitsa actually but I quite like the colour scheme and livery. If it were a Caravelle the side windows wouldn't fit the Floride hard top, conveniently we can't see the car with the windows up.

PS I also like the even door gaps.
    It is an authentic Floride S, all the glass is correct to suit the top. I think the Floride S graphics date the car to a certain extent, remove them, and replace the mirrors by period versions (if they leave holes) it would look better, Actually the Ford mirrors are probably worth more to an XA/B/C fan off the car, than on the Floride. The paint scheme really does work on the car in the flesh, similar to some of Brooks Steven's creations from the 1950s and '60s.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

Ray I am still a newbie despite a 9 month build.... but doing my rebuild I have search and search for info and still find conflicting/incorrect/contradicting info. When I first saw this I noted the hard top looked Floride as it has a more rake on the rear window, but the engine bay looks Caravelle . The heater has the 2 outlets for extreme cold conditions even though the upper is left open. All in all looks a made up bits car.... but then I remembered the wonderful French blog that I follow thanks to Mr Google Translate..... here is a 63 Floride s.....

Voyant rouge qui s'allume - Auto titre

1000+ Posts

I would bet it is a Floride S the oval plate will have R1131 if it is. Early Floride style hood but all the rest is Caravelle like, it will mean it is a Floride S. The heater is unlikely to have two outlets one is blocked off up near the fan. The second outlet was only connected up in cold climate countries for the rear seat passengers.
    Last edited by Sunroof; 6th February 2018 at 04:17 PM.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

A read of Cyper Papy's post on this subject in the info thread is a must.
    In truth so to speak a FlorideS is not a Floride but a Caravelle, it's a 1131 model.
    The only way to make sure it's a true FlorideS and not a bastardised Caravelle is to get its build number (stamped chassis number) and make sure it's built in the correct time in 1962.
    If I was to own one of the three models (1092, 1131, 1133) and have a totally original car that was a delivered soft top, hard top the 1131 FlorideS is the one I'd get. As we all know though, to find an original car these days is very hard, especially a Floride as most have been bastardised, everyone wants the mechanicals of the Caravelle and the look of the Floride and the FlorideS is the closest way of getting that in an original sense.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Thread Information