The little Flea from Hell
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree9Likes
  • 9 Post By Mike Tippett

Thread: The little Flea from Hell

Default The little Flea from Hell

An old friend of mine built this car up for track racing and occasional street use back in the mid-1980s. The rear guards were professionally widened with steel to accommodate the 215 section rear tires; the fronts were left alone as the wider wheels are offset to the inside.

Advertisement

The engine as you can see is from a R1135, however, it is equipped with the Alpine 1296 kit, so it has 120 HP at 7200 RPM. The transaxle is 8 Gordini 5 speed with tall final drive. The radiator is from a Golf and has a powerful electric fan. The muffler is transverse and squeezed in between the engine pulley and the rear panel. Transmission and engine mounts are hardened Group 2 items. The twin shock 1135 rear end would not fit in the shell but a single shock R-8G crossmember was used, which only required minor modifications to the inside of the shell.

I had a ride on the street in this car and it was raucous. The car is so fast with its Porsche Cayman power/weight ratio that each gear can only be held for just over a second up to third, under full bore acceleration. The car's buzzy inside due to the hard mounts. So not really a pleasure to drive, but a whole bundle of fun. The wheels are widened steel which normally wear hubcaps and to the untrained eye it looks much like a stock 21 HP 4CV.

It was mainly built as a track car and when the Westwood racetrack near Vancouver shut down in the late 1980s, this car was mothballed and sits under cover. Breakable bits were removed and are stored indoors.

Kim Luck, J-man, lozenge and 6 others like this.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupť Injection in restoration NOW!
    2013 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6 manual
    2006 smart BRABUS Tailor-Made Canada 1 cabriolet
    2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

Love a wolf in sheep's clothing...

That's a ripper conversion! Those guards have been executed perfectly. And I like the crank handle hole in the front bumper just to cause further confusion :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Well spotted Simon...

Reminds me of when the ex owned an Renault 10. She was loading the groceries into the boot/front. And this guys wonders over and sheepishly asks, were is the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    That's a ripper conversion! Those guards have been executed perfectly. And I like the crank handle hole in the front bumper just to cause further confusion :-)

terrific! this is what I call a real car. thanks Mike for sharing.

Fellow Frogger!

That's why it's so fast - a motor at each end. Can't let CitroŽn be the only one

My "poverty pack" 1960 4CV has crank holes in both ends, presumably to save cost of tooling for two separate bumpers

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Thread Information