Top Gear Alpine - Warning - possible Toad Pond content
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    1000+ Posts N5GTi6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,081

    Default Top Gear Alpine - Warning - possible Toad Pond content

    I wasn't sure whether to post this under 'Toad Pond' (Top Gear content), Renault, or Froggy Chat since we have no Alpine Forum.

    https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/5488...s-into-flames/

    Advertisement


    Make of it what you will given 'The Sun' AND 'Top Gear' involvement.

    Cheers

    Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Concord City, Sir.
    Posts
    3,121

    Default

    !!!

    What a fire!

    What is the chassis made of again?

    Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

    "More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts FIVEDOOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Qld
    Posts
    19,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    !!!

    What is the chassis made of again?
    My recollection (not as good as it once was) is that it is aluminium.

    Edit. Aluminium it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rarJj9ZibpM
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 3rd February 2018 at 10:29 PM.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    17,059

    Default

    Aluminium will melt (not burn) between 600 and 660 degrees Celsius. The car melted.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

  5. #5
    Veni Vidi Posti 68 404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rome
    Posts
    2,661

    Default

    ...and Alpines are Renaults!

    Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

    IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."


  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    olinda victoria australia
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Aluminium ultimately burns too - it is in the same group on the periodic table as magnesium and under the right conditions will burn in the same way

    They were reminded of this in the Falklands war, when their aluminium superstructured destroyers turned into flares when hit by an Exocet

    They should have remembered from WW2, when their preferred way of destroying a mediaeval city was with incendiaries using thermite - mixture of iron oxide and aluminium powder. Have seen the reminders of this in Lübeck and Hamburg

    Best Wishes

    Andrew

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Aluminium will melt (not burn) between 600 and 660 degrees Celsius. The car melted.

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    17,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post
    Aluminium ultimately burns too - it is in the same group on the periodic table as magnesium and under the right conditions will burn in the same way

    They were reminded of this in the Falklands war, when their aluminium superstructured destroyers turned into flares when hit by an Exocet

    They should have remembered from WW2, when their preferred way of destroying a mediaeval city was with incendiaries using thermite - mixture of iron oxide and aluminium powder. Have seen the reminders of this in Lübeck and Hamburg

    Best Wishes

    Andrew
    Thank you Andrew! As an armourer I'm somewhat aware of the properties of thermite. If aluminium "burned", it would not be possible to heat it above it's melting point for re-cycling, n'est ce pas?

    http://www.alfed.org.uk/files/Fact%2...m-and-fire.pdf

    Aluminium and Fire,

    Aluminium and it's alloys are widely used in aircraft manufacture, vehicles, vessels and in building, so Alpine are not on their own here.

    P.S: Thermite is a mixture of powders. I'm pretty sure that Alpine use solid plate!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    olinda victoria australia
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Oops

    THat's the trouble with this website - there are people on it who actually know what they are talking about !

    Had read many press reports about this in the Falklands, but had missed the subsequent enquiry

    Presume that Thermite is a special case because of the iron oxide and because it is all powdered?

    Andrew

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Thank you Andrew! As an armourer I'm somewhat aware of the properties of thermite. If aluminium "burned", it would not be possible to heat it above it's melting point for re-cycling, n'est ce pas?

    http://www.alfed.org.uk/files/Fact%2...m-and-fire.pdf

    Aluminium and Fire,

    Aluminium and it's alloys are widely used in aircraft manufacture, vehicles, vessels and in building, so Alpine are not on their own here.

    P.S: Thermite is a mixture of powders. I'm pretty sure that Alpine use solid plate!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •