• 2 Post By 68 404
  • 1 Post By REN TIN TIN
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By 85Fuego
  • 2 Post By schlitzaugen
  • 1 Post By 68 404

Thread: Dacia Sandero - should Renault bring it to Australia

Default Dacia Sandero - should Renault bring it to Australia

The Sandero is apparently the cheapest new car in Europe, at 6000 pounds ($AUD10500)
    Is there a market for this Euro cheapie in Australia, sporting a Renault badge?

Advertisement

Dave
    FIVEDOOR and iLaguna like this.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

There probably is, but leave the Dacia badge on it. It's as well known as Renault here in Australia!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

That's an old car, are they still made?

I would like to see the Duster here.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 1st February 2018 at 11:59 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

By the time you added on the 'must haves' to make it viable in the Australian market it wouldn't so cheap any more.
    It would just be another brand trying to sell against some already long established brands in the cheap end of the market.
    Unless there is some drastic discounting or marketing efforts, the result is likely to be another brand coming and going in short order.

Cheers
    RTT
    Sunroof likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

Then they have to mod them to meet our ADR's. More added cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Then they have to mod them to meet our ADR's. More added cost.
    I would imagine thats the reason cars like this don't exist in our market.
    Jo
    Sunroof likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I would imagine thats the reason cars like this don't exist in our market.
    Jo
    I agree, however, why does every car HAVE to be 5 star, ESC, collision avoidance technology etc etc etc etc.
    Offer a cheap new car at say 2 star and offer it to the people to trade in their everyday drive clapped out HZ holden.

Bondie sold thousands of Hyundais as an entry level car.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

No way would us lazy Aussies buy it without AC and automatic trans but.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego View Post
    I agree, however, why does every car HAVE to be 5 star, ESC, collision avoidance technology etc etc etc etc.
    Offer a cheap new car at say 2 star and offer it to the people to trade in their everyday drive clapped out HZ holden.
    I agree. It would be nice to have everyone in a 5 star safe vehicle but many people just can't afford a new or even recent car so are still driving old bangers with no air bags and no anti-lock brakes let alone electronic stability control etc, etc. The powers that be should accept that sure, we have to aim high, but accept that almost any 3 star rated vehicle from the last 4 or 5 years would be far, far safer than that old Holden or Falcon or similar. A quick check shows any Holden before 2002 only has one star rating. Probably obtained that one for having brakes on every wheel and seat belts for every passenger. Some form of "old banger" buy back or trade in bonus scheme might help or road toll targets if the various governments were serious. A by-product would probably be better overall fuel economy as well I'd suggest. I am usually loathe to suggest any "Gumnut" interference in the free market economy but they seem keen to throw money at many other things which appear to have only political benefits rather than public safety benefits.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

This is the kind of opportunity Australia keeps missing. At the launch of the Dacia Logan, it was aimed at the countries of the Eastern Block. To encourage the production and help the factory be viable financially in its first years, the government of Romania offered such a scheme so Dacia would sell enough cars to make a profit to stay afloat until investment was offset and it could go into black. The car was such a success, Renault didn't want it competing against its Clio at the time so it was obstructing its sale in the West.

Australia seems to be too myopic to use such opportunities and instead of importing a car like this from overseas, start from the grassroots and create some local jobs and try to move away from the "sell shit you dig up" banana economy.

At the very least we could start manufacturing the Logan or Duster or whatever locally and get back some of those poor people from Holden (and others) who lost their jobs.

Such cars are manufactured next door on a massive scale in Indonesia, Malaysia, and who knows where else (Thailand most likely). We could have exported them cars selling on the safety point. Well, we didn't. Japan took those markets because we were too stuck in our ways and too narrow minded to engage with these huge markets on our door step.

Not gonna happen, but blame yourself because it is you who vote.
    JohnW and CXVingtCinq like this.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Ford said they were leaving under the Labor Govt.
    Holden said they were leaving under the Libs.

Vote for the B-9 or Robby instead

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Auto seems to be a stretch but you can get a/c.
    The idea would be to keep it as bare bones as possible to get the price down. Once you start looking at the higher trim versions it doesn't make sense.

https://www.dacia.co.uk/

And she crashes ok too:

http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Guide...ndero-20171122

Dave
    iLaguna likes this.
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Ford said they were leaving under the Labor Govt.
    Holden said they were leaving under the Libs.

Vote for the B-9 or Robby instead

Dave

Governments do whatever they find on the priority list of those who put them there. Labour, liberal, whatever. If the voters' ask was "get some shit happening here" the govt would do that.

I will concede people keep asking governments to do this, that or the other, but it is always what benefits the speaker in the short term, so you see, it is the speaker who has to change their tune.

That means the voter - you.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 2nd February 2018 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Auto seems to be a stretch but you can get a/c.
    The idea would be to keep it as bare bones as possible to get the price down. Once you start looking at the higher trim versions it doesn't make sense.

https://www.dacia.co.uk/

And she crashes ok too:

SA crash test results: Renault Sandero tops the safety charts | Wheels24

Dave
    Thanks for the link to the South African page 'wheels24'. I used to enjoy reading that many years ago and forgot all about it until now.

I've always been a fan of Dacia and have been vocal in the past for wanting the brand to be launched in Australia, but I think I'm in the minority. As it stands now, I think Renault Australia just aren't interested, despite Dacia having a few models that could appeal to the Australian market. The Duster is the perfect example! Then there is the Dokker LCV, which according to a news article a year or so ago, was going to be the first Dacia product to be sold in Australia, but with a Renault badge and would sit under the Kangoo, but nothing has materialized.

Dacia also have their 'Stepway' brand, which you can buy overseas, the Sandero Stepway is it's most popular model. It's basically a jacked up version of the standard Sandero, to make it look like an SUV. You can also get the Logan Stepway Wagon and the Dokker Stepway and Lodgy Stepway, both of which would have no appeal at all for the Australian consumer.

With only one out of the four 'core products' that Renault Australia focus on, the Koleos, actually selling in decent numbers and was Renault Australia's biggest selling model in 2017, the other three, Clio, Megane and Captur, are just not firing like they should and the new guy in charge, ex Suzuki Australia's Andrew Moore, hasn't done much since taking over from Justin.

Renault is also staring down a third consecutive year in Australia of declining sales, after peaking in 2015 with over 11,000 units, they really need to do something to bring some spark back to the brand. They can't rely on one SUV and their LCV range to keep things moving a long.

Last edited by iLaguna; 3rd February 2018 at 10:55 AM.
    2016 Holden Astra RS-V 1.6L Turbo Manual Hatch - Current Drive
    2013 Peugeot 2008 Active 1.6L Auto Wagon - Current Drive

2006 Renault Megane Expression 2.0L Auto Hatch - Past Drive
    2013 Renault Latitude Privilege 2.0L dCi Auto Sedan - Past Drive

2008 Renault Laguna Dynamique 2.0L dCi Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    2002 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0L V6 Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    1995 Renault 19 Alize 1.8L Manual Sedan - Past Drive
    1998 SEAT Cordoba SXE 1.6L Manual Sedan - Past Drive

Thread Information