• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help with getting my Windscreen washer to work - R10

Tadpole

Default Help with getting my Windscreen washer to work - R10

Hi again Everybody,

Advertisement

Just wondering how the R10 widscreen washer works.

I have a glass jar in the Boot (Front) against the firewall that seems clean and clear, a silver jet dome between the wipers and a push button with a spongy / springy feel on the RH side of my facia / dashboard.

Today's silly question is ... Do i simply push and hold the button in or do i need to keep pumping the button?

In any case, i've tried both and still no water is coming out of the jet??!!

Any help and / or constructive criticism is appreciated!

Al

Either something like the jet is blocked, or the push button pump diaphragm has failed, likely the latter. With a bit of work, the existing switch could be converted to operate a microswitch to power an electric pump. Or just replace the old push pump with another push button to power an electric pump unit, somewhere like Supercheap probably has a combined reservoir and motor that could be installed to make things really simple.

I thought something like that would have to work for the RWC test? Try just keeping pumping the button, it won't just work by holding it down once.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Also, check the clear lines running up to the nozzle; or the nozzles themselves are not blocked - push a pin head in the nozzles to clear and retry; carefully remove and inspect the clear lines and/or replace with fish tank air line or similar.
    I agree though, most likely the diaphragm has gone and converting to electric the best option
    KB

Tadpole

Thanks Guys,

Now that i know to keep pumping i'll look to see if anything is moving through the tube!

And yes, i agree that an electric setup is probably the best... got one from Super cheap for my 56 Plymouth ute and it works a treat.

Cheers,

Al

Tadpole

Good news fellow froggers.. Seems i wasn't pumping enough!!!

After around 20 pumps of the button i noticed water coming through the pipes and soon after coming out of the jets onto the windscreen. Passenger side is great but drivers side may need a poke and a prod! Happy days and thanks again guys.

Cheers,
    Al

Wow. Working ones! Be super careful with the plastic reservoir as it might be very brittle. I gave up and replaced mine with electric years ago, with two twin squirters mounted in the grill at the back of the bonnet. More recently, I fitted Toyota or ebay (can't recall which) flooder sprays, which is a huge improvement and they don't block. Depends whether you want originality I guess.

Compared with no washers, they are pretty good.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Thanks John,

The interesting thing about my car, And i presume they are original, is that the water reservoir for the washers, brake / clutch fluid reservoir and even the overflow on the radiator are all glass jars / vials... very cool, just hope none of them break, particularly the radiator overflow which is a very particular shape!!! The washer reservoir even has french script embossed into the metal screw off top.

The other 2 things i'm wondering about my car are:-

a. How do you know if it was assembled in Australia - would it have a plate / particular serial number to look for and
    b. Is it odd that it has no no side rear view mirrors on both drivers and passenger side??

Cheers,

Al

I use a bristle from a wire brush to clear blocked washer jets. They will block easily if you use dish washer liquid, rather use a proper windscreen wash additive (Supercheap, Repco, Kmart).
    It was quite common for cars to be sold in the 60's without exterior mirrors, usually up to the owner to order as factory option, or as after market accessory.
    I'm sure the guys in Aus will be able to help you with the build origin.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Post a photo of the oval plate (found in the boot on the back plate between boot space and plenum chamber) please and someone will tell you the answers. There were a few privately imported R10 examples, but very few. Probably it was assembled in the Renault (Australia) factory in West Heidelberg.

Those glass coolant reservoirs do fail catastrophically from time to time. I use a plastic R12 one myself, for that reason. You can find the top plate and Bakelite ring on ebay from time to time, and I suspect (but don't know) that they fail by exploding when the relief valve doesn't open at the required pressure. Others may comment!

They didn't come with external mirrors AFAIK.

Cheers
    Last edited by JohnW; 29th January 2018 at 08:59 PM.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Oxy welding tip cleaners also good for clearing in most cars. Also usually robust enough for gentle correction of aim

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by rubyalpine View Post
    I use a bristle from a wire brush to clear blocked washer jets. They will block easily if you use dish washer liquid, rather use a proper windscreen wash additive (Supercheap, Repco, Kmart).
    It was quite common for cars to be sold in the 60's without exterior mirrors, usually up to the owner to order as factory option, or as after market accessory.
    I'm sure the guys in Aus will be able to help you with the build origin.

Henry

1000+ Posts

I know it starts in USA but getting further on are the posts shown below.

Photos of R8 for sale in USA

A post from Simon

There seems to be a mixed bag of R1134 8Gs, either Version 70 (good road/ temperate/ RHD, (Fahrenheit)) ie UK spec, and Version 80. What the difference is between a Version 70 and Version 80 R1134 is would be interesting :-)

For Australian assembled cars, up to 1971 the plates were stamped. From 1971, the numbering system changed, with the Oval Plate attached to the car prior to painting, with no version number stamp, although some of the later 12/Virage were stamped 762.

There is one from me which more or less said the following: My R10 has 800 stamped on the oval plate. 800 being one code for Australia.

By the way often the pump is ok but the two one way valves are gone. It is possible to replace these with one way valves from an aquarium shop. Also poking the blockage back in allows it to return back and block again. Pull it or the pipe off and either blow it completely out or poke it from the inside. Electric is the way to go if the pump fails and you don't mind it not being original.

The reservoir on the right is brake. The clutch is cable operated (unless yours is very special!).
    I’m surprised the washer bottle is glass. They were plastic originally.

I’ve never had an overflow bottle explode or break, but I’ve heard plenty of others talk about it. As John said, important to ensure the little breather is kept unblocked and that the seal is in good order.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by Alsrenault10 View Post
    And i presume they are original, is that the water reservoir for the washers, brake / clutch fluid reservoir and even the overflow on the radiator are all glass jars / vials... very cool, just hope none of them break, particularly the radiator overflow which is a very particular shape!!! The washer reservoir even has french script embossed into the metal screw off top.
    As already mentioned, the glass brake fluid "Nivoclair" reservoir and the glass coolant "pickle jar" are normal. The glass washer bottle won't be standard, and it sounds as if it mat have a coincidental fitting Transpar cap. Although, it could also have an early Simca glass reservoir fitted too. It's worth a picture from you.

a. How do you know if it was assembled in Australia - would it have a plate / particular serial number to look for and
    The easiest way is if there is a foil Dulux E-Type paint code label stuck next to the oval and diamond plates, that indicates Australian assembly. A stencilled paint code indicates French assembly. See how you go with those.

b. Is it odd that it has no no side rear view mirrors on both drivers and passenger side??
    That would be normal. Door mirrors were not required on sedans until 1972, although Holden started fitting them from mid-1967 with the safety upgraded HR.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Tadpole

Help with getting my Windscreen washer to work - R10-img_0217.jpgHelp with getting my Windscreen washer to work - R10-img_0216.jpgHelp with getting my Windscreen washer to work - R10-img_0219.jpg

Hey Guy's, As requested, Shots of my serial numbers + the top of my washer reservoir which is indeed plastic with a metal lid! doh!

Seeing the diamond shaped plaque is all in french would this indicate being built in France?

Keen to know more.

Cheers,

Al

Nah. Your first image, has "800" stamped into it, this is the "built in Aussie code"

And nothing wrong with that, we used to build cool stuff here, like r8's and 10's

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Aha, standard Oz-built R10 and original "Transpar" plastic windscreen washer container and lid. All that looks very original. Nice.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

OK Cool,

So mine is a 1970 R10 and has 1190 stamped so does that make it 1190cc?

All the manuals i have state various numbers such as R1130,1132, 1136, 1190 and 1192.

Are they all cc references?

It may be worth your while to find the bigger plastic washer bottle used on R10 perhaps elsewhere if not in the Oz market.

See it here in a R4:

http://www.shannons.com.au/library/i...tion-wagon.jpg

It fits in the same bracket and gives you about four times the capacity if not more.

I would keep the pump action washer if it works, it's a really nice contraption, but I would add an inline fuel filter from a RC hobby shop. Those will trap crap and let the water through, they're not as fine as the ones used on vehicles.

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/p/RC-Airplane-S...187/1825421731
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 30th January 2018 at 04:47 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Nah. Your first image, has "800" stamped into it, this is the "built in Aussie code"
    Close, but not quite with that generalisation. 800 is the specification code used for RHD, poor road, tropical climate specification, so it was also used in places like Cyprus and Malta among others. It doesn’t specifically relate to the car being Australian assembled. The subject Renault 10 is an Australian build car from the pics supplied though (I’m assuming the paint code label has gone missing).
    bowie likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

OK Cool,

So mine is a 1970 R10 and has 1190 stamped so does that make it 1190cc?

All the manuals i have state various numbers such as R1130,1132, 1136, 1190 and 1192.

Are they all cc references?

R1190 is the type number, sort of like Porsche 996, 997 or Holden 80737. With the Renault though, the first three numbers relate to the project within the Renault office, so the Renault 10 was Project 119, the fourth number relates to various evolutions or variations, so R1190 is the plain old Renault 10, regardless of model year, then there was the R1192 which was a later Renault 10 1300 (not sold in Australia).

So there was Project 114, which was an aborted model, and replaced by Project 115, which was the Renault 16, initially R1150, then with variations of Project 115; R1151, R1152, R1153, R1154, R1155, R1156, R1157.

Project 117 was the Renault 12, 118 the Renault 6 and 119 the Renault 10. Some projects go into production, others end up getting forgotten.

So the R1190 type number does not relate to the engine capacity (which in the case of an R1190 Renault 10 is 1108cc).

Oh, and from the details supplied, it is a 1968 Renault 10 :-)
    bowie likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Oh, and that guy above, is a walking typing breathing sauce (Ed: really bowie... source ffs) of awesome.
    Last edited by bowie; 30th January 2018 at 06:25 PM.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Oh, and that guy above, is a walking typing breathing sauce of awesome.
    We're lucky to have Simon's depth of knowledge, and access to his library!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

68 model??!!

Rego papers state 1970!

And yes, the knowledge on this forum is awesome.. Thanks for all your help gents!

68 model??!!

Rego papers state 1970!

And yes, the knowledge on this forum is awesome.. Thanks for all your help gents!
    You think that's bad. They originally tried to sell it as a 10S
    KB

Tadpole

Even me being Mr Dummy Dumb Head Renault knowledge wise knew it wasn't a 10S! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information