Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 68 404

Thread: 2002 Megane shift cable

jda
    Tadpole

Default 2002 Megane shift cable

Hi everyone,

Advertisement

I'm brand new here and found this forum as I was looking for info about my wife's 2002 Megane (64 Expression) automatic. If I'm posting in the wrong area, please let me know and I'll move to the right forum. I had a look around and this forum seemed to be where people were asking questions.

This is the first Renault we have owned and my wife loves it. The Megane started having problems with the automatic gear lever. The first symptom was that it seemed to be stuck in neutral after my wife reversed out of the garage (down a hill if that matters). Once she shifted from Reverse it seemed to get stuck in Neutral. The shifter would move but the transmission would not change gears. I googled that issue. I removed the shifter cover then pressed the reset button and it now changed gears just fine.

A few days later she drove to the market and upon trying to leave the shifter got stuck in park; it would not move at all. I tried the button trick again but it did not work. After a while of trying to get the shifter to move I heard a loud thud and then it started moving but it was not shifting gears in the transmission. I opened the bonnet and checked the cable. After a bit of fiddling about I could tell that the shift cable had become disconnected from the transmission. I popped the white/yellow nylon socket bushing back onto the ball and it seemed to work fine. I drove it home and called Renault.

Renault tells me I can't order a new socket / bushing because Renault changed the components. I now must order a new cable and a part of the transmission to which the cable connects.

Can anyone share more details about this whole issue or even just about the cable? I can't seem to find diagrams or any additional info online.

Thanks,
    James

Hello James,

My Scenic did something similar once. After driving home from work the lever was put in park and it wouldn't move. I pushed the override button and the lever moved but the selector on the gearbox wouldn't move. There didn't appear to be anything wrong with the selector cable and fittings but nothing happened at the gearbox when the gear lever was moved. I pulled the gear selector apart partially and after much fiddling and harsh language it was the same and wouldn't budge. As it was late in the day I put the selector into neutral via the engine bay and pushed it into my yard so it wasn't blocking my driveway. Next day, everything worked. I have no idea what fixed the issue but it's been okay ever since (this was about 18 months ago).

Being a 2002 Megane it should have a DP0 gearbox.
    Here a partlist for the Scenic but the Megane should be the same.
    Manual Renault Scenic 38.301.0.pdf

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

jda
    Tadpole

Thanks Ren Tin Tin, that does sound very similar and the diagram looks almost spot on. I think I'll keep driving it for a while and see how it behaves before I spend the time and money on "fixing" something that might not be broken.

James

Dave Collier at Colliers Automotive would be the man to fix it properly.
    They're on James Ruse Drive just before Parramatta Road at Granville. Dave has a beating lozenge instead of a heart in his chest so he knows them backwards.

Dave
    jda likes this.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Thread Information