I have not had my pills so now i want another R19!!
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By JoBo
  • 2 Post By Only19
  • 1 Post By Exfrogger
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 2 Post By harrisonati

Thread: I have not had my pills so now i want another R19!!

Tadpole

Default I have not had my pills so now i want another R19!!

Yes madness, I need a cheap, spacious car with a nice boot, so now all I need to find is a manual R19 hatch. It might be the most boring French car ever made but geez could it carry a load in the back. If anyone knows of a good/interesting one I would be happy to find out.

Advertisement
    1982 Peugeot 504 diesel
    2006 Citroen C4 1.6 diesel

1000+ Posts

Is it boring because they have good handling with comfort, reasonable fuel consumption and an engine you can't kill?
    JohnW, jaahn and Berridale like this.
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

No, you don't need pills to like the R19. They were a much under-rated car. I loved mine. (And still miss it occasionally .... oops, where's that pill packet again ........ )
    jaahn and Dano like this.
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

My father in law has two manual r19 sedans , I could find out a price tomorrow

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

1000+ Posts

Just take your bloody pills...
    JohnW likes this.
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

1000+ Posts

I drove an R19 for a short while and I was impressed. I have seen stock standard one easily pass my R17TS down the straight at Lake Side Race Track. Yes I know the 19 has a bigger engine and is a younger car but they can get up and boogie if asked.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I drove an R19 for a short while and I was impressed. I have seen stock standard one easily pass my R17TS down the straight at Lake Side Race Track. Yes I know the 19 has a bigger engine and is a younger car but they can get up and boogie if asked.
    Especially the PH 3 with the slightly larger 1794cc eng. compaired to the earlier 1721cc models.
    The PH 3 is the one to go for but not as many about. A lot more torque lower down as well as a much more user friendly air cleaner assembly.
    A great little hatch once sorted out !

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Alain View Post
    Especially the PH 3 with the slightly larger 1794cc eng. compaired to the earlier 1721cc models. The PH 3 is the one to go for but not as many about. A lot more torque lower down as well as a much more user friendly air cleaner assembly. A great little hatch once sorted out !
    Ah yes, that eould be the go, we had neat phase 2 from 1993, and once it was sorted was very capable and reliable. Another late one would good and one in blue,or that great grey would be ideal.
    1982 Peugeot 504 diesel
    2006 Citroen C4 1.6 diesel

Sounds like a sick 17TS. It just didn't sound right, especially given I wasn't impressed by the 19 when new (relative to my old 12), and was impressed by a 17TS :-)

So I've just quickly dug out some figures from past tests:

Renault 19, Wheels 8/1993
    0-100km/h - 14.3 seconds
    0-120km/h - 24.3 seconds
    400m standing start 19.3 seconds

Renault 12GL, Modern Motor 6/1975
    0-100km/h - 14.5 seconds
    0-120km/h - 24.4 seconds
    400m standing start 19.8 seconds

Renault 17TS, Motor Manual 11/1974
    0-100km/h - 11.5 seconds
    0-120km/h - 15.1 seconds
    400m standing start 17.8 seconds
    Dano likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

May be I didn't corner as fast around the bend before the straight. At the point on the track where the 19 was passing I would be changing into 5th at about 140 kph. On standard mid priced road tyres I was not prepared to hit the kink in the straight at faster than 150/160 perhaps the 19 driver was. I find it surprising that the 12 was as fast as the R19. I will ask whether the 19 was standard as the owner is known for keeping his motor looking standard but doing internal work to them. But I didn't think so in his 19. Yes that particular 17 motor was a bit tired I have put the rebuilt original motor back in but don't go to the track now I am too old. Having said that there are those in the club that are older and still faster than I ever was.

May be I didn't corner as fast around the bend before the straight. At the point on the track where the 19 was passing I would be changing into 5th at about 140 kph. On standard mid priced road tyres I was not prepared to hit the kink in the straight at faster than 150/160 perhaps the 19 driver was. I find it surprising that the 12 was as fast as the R19. I will ask whether the 19 was standard as the owner is known for keeping his motor looking standard but doing internal work to them. But I didn't think so in his 19. Yes that particular 17 motor was a bit tired I have put the rebuilt original motor back in but don't go to the track now I am too old. Having said that there are those in the club that are older and still faster than I ever was.
    As the then owner of that R19, I'd like to clear a few things up:
    Firstly, it was a 1995 1.8 manual in standard condition. I hadn't 'finessed it' in any way. It was going as well as a 1.8 R19 should, no better and no worse.
    Secondly, the quoted road test figures are for a 1.7, not a 1.8.
    Thirdly, a R19 is very drivable. You can use 100% of what is available.,
    Fourthly, it was every bit as quick as most 2 litre cars of today. I replaced the R19 with a Megane 2 sedan, 2 litre manual. My assessment is that the R19 was a bit quicker low down but the Megane sedan has an advantage at higher speeds.
    Fifthly, I had a 1.7 R19 before I had the 1.8. It was quick enough to embarrass many phony performance cars such as the smaller engine BMWs
    Sixthly, R19s atr great cars - go for it!
    Sunroof and Alain like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by harrisonati View Post
    As the then owner of that R19, I'd like to clear a few things up:
    Firstly, it was a 1995 1.8 manual in standard condition. I hadn't 'finessed it' in any way. It was going as well as a 1.8 R19 should, no better and no worse.
    Secondly, the quoted road test figures are for a 1.7, not a 1.8.
    Thirdly, a R19 is very drivable. You can use 100% of what is available.,
    Fourthly, it was every bit as quick as most 2 litre cars of today. I replaced the R19 with a Megane 2 sedan, 2 litre manual. My assessment is that the R19 was a bit quicker low down but the Megane sedan has an advantage at higher speeds.
    Fifthly, I had a 1.7 R19 before I had the 1.8. It was quick enough to embarrass many phony performance cars such as the smaller engine BMWs
    Sixthly, R19s atr great cars - go for it!
    I concur, the R19 PH 2 and PH 3 are chalk and cheese having owned both in hatch manual form.

Just make sure the heater blower motor is working correctly as you could be up for a heap of work to sort out !

I had one till the NRMA killed it clutch starting it in reverse, though thatís a different story. Loved it, took it everywhere. My heater blower died though an auto electrician fixed it for about $60 4 years ago. Iíd have another one anyway if I could find one with aircon which had the new gas. My diesel Megane is my fave car and the 19 is my second fave car. It had a tonne of boot space with the seats down, I put over 1.5 t of firewood in one day and it still pulled away smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Thread Information