• Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By renault8&10
  • 1 Post By renault8&10

Thread: R1190 brake fluid

Default R1190 brake fluid

Going to try and bleed the brakes on my 10. what fluid should I use and any tips on bleeding the brake system?
    Cheers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Advertisement

To a certain extent it depends on what is in there already, as not all brake fluids are miscible.

Try to ascertain what is already in there, are there any invoices for service, or does the selling dealer have anybody they use to service the cars before selling who can say what fluid has been used,

Silicone fluids cannot be mixed with the more common DOT3 or DOT4 fluids. Once the fluid has been identified, there is the next thought as to when it was last done. As if it was done some time ago, there could be ďrubbishĒ in the master cylinder that spoils the seals once the pedal is pushed to the floorboards with a bleed screw open Ė so no pedal when the bleed screw is closed. Then you are up for a brake system rebuild, which may not be such a bad thing if the system is in that sort of condition.

If just renewing the fluid, things are relatively simple. Syringe the old fluid from the reservoir, and fill with new. Then with a RHD car, start with the bleed screw furtherest away from the master cylinder, left hand rear, then right hand rear, left hand front and right hand front one at a time. Keeping pumping the pedal until new fluid is flushed through into your container, keeping an eye on the level in the reservoir with each wheel.

Pumping style is not too slow, and not too fast. Once done, check the fluid level in the reservoir, and check there is still a good firm pedal with no sponge, or one that slowly (or quickly!) goes to the floor under constant pedal pressure

I'm sure others have used pressure or vacuum flushing systems. And if you are starting from an empty system there are other checks that need to be made before starting the bleed process.
    Bustamif, JohnW and LeMansTragic like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

That answer really depends on what is in there now. I would be asking Anthony that question.

It is most likely dot 4. BUT, some brake fluid types are not compatible and should not be mixed.
    Many of us have converted to silicon Dot 5. This needs a complete flush and recommend fresh seals and rubbers before doing that so not something you’d contemplate with what your planning.

It can all be very confusing, so do some internet research, and check what is likely to already be in there.
    Bustamif likes this.
    KB

And to add to Simonís excellent response, donít pump the pedal the full length of the piston stroke especially when it is low on fluid - ie do not pump the pedal all the way to the floor. Otherwise this can cause the m/c seals to stick past the fluid holes making bleeding difficult.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R1190 brake fluid-f1753910-b9ad-4c60-93dd-28ac255bd85a.png  
    Last edited by renault8&10; 26th January 2018 at 10:59 AM.
    LeMansTragic likes this.
    KB

Can't add much to that! There's a lot to be said for a full overhaul unless you really know when that was last done - having nice clean and free callipers and pistons with new seals in cleaned and polished grooves is reassuring and gives light and progressive braking.

My latest discovery is getting the master cylinder piston to pedal clearance right. Large improvement in my case! Bit embarrassing though.

All that leads to the 'silicone' decision, which I made a long time ago (and filter and re-use the expensive fluid, I'd add) and the 'leave, replace or remove' the pressure limiting valve.

Have fun!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information